The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How's uni ball going for those playing?
Stallions got battered 71-0 by Birmingham at the weekend, wasn't there to see it though.
Also switching to CB to get more game time. The squad has 9 recievers and the coaches are insistent that everyone gets game time which means I only ever get 10 reps max. Are all teams this nice?
Reply 3081
Original post by fudgesundae
Not sure, teams have rested their players before and it has backfired massively. I think the Packers will go for a perfect season.

The only example I can think of it backfiring is with the (perennial chokers) Colts, and if that was the reason (I can't really remember which year), it was because they rested too early/long (3 games I'm sure), which, taking into account their first round bye essentially meant an entire month with minimal reps.
The packers should play to 14-0 (assuming they win their next 2), then give the first stringers game 15 off and the first half of game 16.
Original post by munn
The only example I can think of it backfiring is with the (perennial chokers) Colts, and if that was the reason (I can't really remember which year), it was because they rested too early/long (3 games I'm sure), which, taking into account their first round bye essentially meant an entire month with minimal reps.
The packers should play to 14-0 (assuming they win their next 2), then give the first stringers game 15 off and the first half of game 16.

True, they won't though. They look hungry and they look like they really want the 16-0. Usually you don't get teams who are at 11-0 or 12-0 talking about 16-0, but the Packers are.
Reply 3083
True, they won't though. They look hungry and they look like they really want the 16-0. Usually you don't get teams who are at 11-0 or 12-0 talking about 16-0, but the Packers are.

yes you do, every single time. Whether or not they go for it is a different matter, but most tried.
Only 8 teams in history have gone 12-0, 5 of them in the past 5 years oddly enough - the 09 Colts and Saints (talk at the time was of an 18-0 versus 18-0 Superbowl), but the Saints lost in the end and the Colts rested their starters for the final 2 games despite their 14-0 record having seen the 07 Pats slip up.
The 05 Colts are the other team - that was the year they rested starters after going 13-0 and it cost them in the end (after years of Manning choking in the playoffs they decided resting starters and trying to win the Superbowl was more important than the perfect record).

The other 3 teams? 72 Dolphins, 85 Bears and 98 Broncos.

1 did manage the perfect season and the other 2 certainly went for it.
In fact, I'd say that the only team to not go for it have been the Colts, but there was definitely talk at the time on each occasion of the perfect season for them.
Original post by munn
yes you do, every single time. Whether or not they go for it is a different matter, but most tried.
Only 8 teams in history have gone 12-0, 5 of them in the past 5 years oddly enough - the 09 Colts and Saints (talk at the time was of an 18-0 versus 18-0 Superbowl), but the Saints lost in the end and the Colts rested their starters for the final 2 games despite their 14-0 record having seen the 07 Pats slip up.
The 05 Colts are the other team - that was the year they rested starters after going 13-0 and it cost them in the end (after years of Manning choking in the playoffs they decided resting starters and trying to win the Superbowl was more important than the perfect record).

The other 3 teams? 72 Dolphins, 85 Bears and 98 Broncos.

1 did manage the perfect season and the other 2 certainly went for it.
In fact, I'd say that the only team to not go for it have been the Colts, but there was definitely talk at the time on each occasion of the perfect season for them.

talk by the players? or by the media etc? I always got the impression that the players themselves did not talk publicly about going for the perfect season, the superstitious creatures that they are.
Original post by Hedgeman49
"Brady in 2007 through 11 was better" - Brady missed an entire season in that time period! Yeah his 2007 season was very good, and last year was also solid, but I wouldn't call most of the outlined period particularly gamechanging.

Even as a Pats fan I have to concede this.

2007 was incredible, possibly the best QB regular season ever.

2008 was non-existent (which was a huge loss to football and Brady's career. The Pats were set to do great things, including Brady)

2009 was a solid year, but very good considering he was returning from serious injury.

2010 was again, incredible.

So when at full strength. Brady's years have outmatched that of Rodgers in my opinion. However, the Packers have been a better unit, hence the superbowl victory.
huh? I'm talking about 2007 Brady vs 2011 Rodgers. Here are Brady's stats:

11 games - 3439 yards, 72.4%, 39 TD, 4 INT

Rodgers:

11 games - 3475 yards, 71.8%, 33 TD, 4 INT

Similar ish, apart from TDs. But then factor in how the Pats were averaging something ridiculous like over 40 points a game. They just looked unstoppable. Packers yesterday against the Giants? Well it looked very much as if the Giants had a good shot at beating them.

To be fair, in week 17 of 2007, the Patriots narrowly escaped the Giants, you guessed it, by a score of 38-35 :wink:

I remember it well haha
Original post by The Patriot
To be fair, in week 17 of 2007, the Patriots narrowly escaped the Giants, you guessed it, by a score of 38-35 :wink:

I remember it well haha

yep, déjà vu :tongue:
Reply 3088
talk by the players? or by the media etc? I always got the impression that the players themselves did not talk publicly about going for the perfect season, the superstitious creatures that they are.

i know sean payton very publicly said the saints were going for it.
The media always spoke about the Colts but they categorically denied it (and rested players when they had the opportunity and ability to do it), I don't know if the players mentioned it for the 07 Pats but I think everyone could see they were going for it.
Any time a team hits 10-0 the talk begins
Original post by munn
i know sean payton very publicly said the saints were going for it.
The media always spoke about the Colts but they categorically denied it (and rested players when they had the opportunity and ability to do it), I don't know if the players mentioned it for the 07 Pats but I think everyone could see they were going for it.
Any time a team hits 10-0 the talk begins

Of course the talk starts. But by the players? They usually play it down. Charles Woodson was openly talking about going 16-0 by like week 10.
Of course the talk starts. But by the players? They usually play it down. Charles Woodson was openly talking about going 16-0 by like week 10.

Every player is going to have a different mentality towards talking about it though, that's just human nature.

Woodson speaks publicly about wanting to do it, Rodgers speaks only about winning the next game. You'll get a variety of answers from every player you ask. Matthews has said he'd like to go 16-0, but that's he more interested in getting home field advantage first.
Well my fantasy season didn't go very well unfortunately, but there's no time fort excuses. I will just have to come back better prepared next year :P

At least I still have an exciting Pats team to watch :biggrin:
Reply 3092
any Falcons fans here?!
Original post by Shippy
any Falcons fans here?!

The ones we kicked out of the Playoffs last year? :ahee:
Reply 3094
Original post by RabbitCFH
The ones we kicked out of the Playoffs last year? :ahee:

The ones about to lose the NFC South Division title to a certain Rival? :ahee:
Original post by Rekyht
The ones about to lose the NFC South Division title to a certain Rival? :ahee:

Indeed. :ahee:
Hey all, massive Packers fan here. Anyone watching the NFL tonight? It's been a bit of a weird night so far with the results and sadly my fantasy team has slumped after two insanely good weeks previous to this week.
Original post by BarneyMBS
Hey all, massive Packers fan here. Anyone watching the NFL tonight? It's been a bit of a weird night so far with the results and sadly my fantasy team has slumped after two insanely good weeks previous to this week.

Yup, Pats fan here. Just got to watch my team dismantle Tebow and the Broncos. America kinda loves Tebow, and definitely hates the Patriots. It was nice to put an end to Tebow mania and sever all the Tebowners sprouting up around the country while also securing a playoff spot.

Beast of the East yet again. :cool:
Original post by I Kant Spall
Yup, Pats fan here. Just got to watch my team dismantle Tebow and the Broncos. America kinda loves Tebow, and definitely hates the Patriots. It was nice to put an end to Tebow mania and sever all the Tebowners sprouting up around the country while also securing a playoff spot.

Beast of the East yet again. :cool:

Haha, I wanted the Pats to win as well as I'm tired of all the Tebow talk but I'd rather Gronkowski was a bit more involved lol. Now I have to decide whether to stay up and watch the Ravens - Chargers game, hmmmm. :smile:
I lost a bet with my Eagles fan of a brother last week. I now have to wear an Eagles jersey on christmas day. FML. At least they beat the Jets.

Latest