The Student Room Group

Why do so many girls wear fake eyelashes.....?

I mean ob I know why, i.e to make their eyelashes longer but as a man (speak for a lot of other men as well), I think they just look awful most of the time. When I see a women with them on, I think Jordan, I think TOWIE, I think shallow/superficial and I just stay the hell away. I don't want to sound judgemental but this is the loook that most of these people sport. I wouldn't really care if a girl had shorter eyeslashes than looking like a Jordan wannabe

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
From what I've seen they look awful and clearly fake. It is often the same type of girls wearing them though!
Reply 2
No idea - they look like camels.
Reply 3
They really can open up your eyes more and make you more attractive - IF applied precisely and if they are natural-looking false eyelashes.
Original post by newts2k
I mean ob I know why, i.e to make their eyelashes longer but as a man (speak for a lot of other men as well), I think they just look awful most of the time. When I see a women with them on, I think Jordan, I think TOWIE, I think shallow/superficial and I just stay the hell away. I don't want to sound judgemental but this is the loook that most of these people sport. I wouldn't really care if a girl had shorter eyeslashes than looking like a Jordan wannabe

I think they look really weird too. I didn't realise how many girls must wear them though until I started working in boots a couple of months ago - I alone seem to sell like 10 of them a day in my small town! :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by tnetennba
They really can open up your eyes more and make you more attractive - IF applied precisely and if they are natural-looking false eyelashes.

really? i almost never see natural ones, perhaps I dont realise if I do

i don't see anyone complaining :rolleyes:
Reply 7
I've seen a few girls with 3 or more layers of lashes on, followed by heavy eye make-up. Is every reflective item in their house broken? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by Pixiefairy

i don't see anyone complaining :rolleyes:

are those fake? If so, bravo
Original post by newts2k
are those fake? If so, bravo

YES they are indeed :ahee:

she's also guilty :rolleyes:
eyes.JPG

I like to think mine don't look so bad... :biggrin:
I wear fake eyelashes every day, and a lot of people don't even realise i'm wearing them. I don't think you can judge everyone who wears them on the people who can't choose/apply them correctly, because they're the specific "type" you're talking about.
Reply 12
I think the individual ones, if applied correctly look ok.

IMO, it's the ones that are a whole set that look funny, because no-one's lashes are as evenly spaced and are of as even length as they are.
Original post by newts2k
really? i almost never see natural ones, perhaps I dont realise if I do

This is my point. You're only noticing the terrible ones, because well applied ones that suit the face/eye shape and other makeup worn shouldn't look overly fake unless you look closely or pay a lot of attention to them
I dont :P

I think they like long eyelash look...
Reply 15
Original post by hannahhaworth
This is my point. You're only noticing the terrible ones, because well applied ones that suit the face/eye shape and other makeup worn shouldn't look overly fake unless you look closely or pay a lot of attention to them

I agree with this. When false eyelashes are poorly applied or OTT un-natural styles are chosen then they look awful. In the same way that ten layers of bright orange fake tan looks horrific but no one notices if someone has a layer of a natural beige toned fake tan on to even their complexion.

With all make up and costmetics there will be those people who use products and acessories which enhance their features and make them look lovely...whilst there will also always be those who go too far or just make a bit of a mess of it.

That said...beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone is entitled to a preference on what they think looks good on them and others so if some girls think three pairs of thick false lashes looks nice then who are we to tell them it doesn't?
Reply 16
Thing is it's hard to pass comment on the natural looking ones, because really, they shouldn't look blatantly fake if done well. I have a friend who sometimes uses the individual ones which can look lovely. Sadly a lot of girls completely overdo it and look like they've rolled straight out of a circus instead.

However, the whole concept doesn't really appeal to me, natural looking or not.. you're gluing something to one of the most sensitive areas of your body for goodness sake! The thought makes me feel a little ill..
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't wear them frequently, but you're probably only noticing them because they're the ugly massive strip ones. The individual ones when applied precisely actually look quite good.
I think the strip ones can look just as natural as long as they're stuck firmly at the corners of the eye and worn with liquid eueliner to hide the base. They also need to be feathered and not all the same length or they look utterly ridiculous
Reply 19
Original post by Pixiefairy
YES they are indeed :ahee:

she's also guilty :rolleyes:

ha, really? I guess I have pretty long eyelashes as a man so I just thought these were real, you girls have too much help, hehe

Latest