The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Completed my HSBC application from start to finish in around 30 minutes....

Edit: Nomura done in 25...

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1181
Original post by eco1234
did you apply for the spring programme or the womens one?

Have you got a test from them?
Original post by miml
Usually you can apply for these regardless of whether you are on the 1st year of 4 year course, or 2nd year of 4 year course. If your course has a 3 year option then it is possible to say you are doing the 3 year option on your applications and then after the spring week say you have decided to do the 4 year course in which case you will be eligible to do another spring week next year. If your course doesn't have this option then it is unlikely you will be considered for the spring week anyway, as the banks want people who fit the recruitment 'timeline'

As for predicting grades, I'm in 2nd year so have my results already. I've predicted myself a 2:1 for most places (despite a 1st last year) and I think it's best to just predict a 2:1 at least, just so you get pass the auto filters.

Ah ok - my course has a language element so I will definitely be doing 4 years (third year is a year abroad). So maybe I should just wait until 2nd year for those which specifically say 2nd year of 4 year course.

If I apply, I may just stay safe with the 2:1! Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 1183
Original post by eco1234
did you apply for the spring programme or the womens one?

Spring. Trading.
Reply 1184
Original post by miml
Have you got a test from them?

nope
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
Completed my HSBC application from start to finish in around 30 minutes....

Edit: Nomura done in 25...

Spoiler

The ones that just require CLs are easy, try Barcap, RBS and BNP Paribas. If you can do those in less than 30mins, I'd be impressed
Original post by Milan.
barcap reject me, no reason, nothing!
the tests went ok though :frown:
ah well.. :s

anyone apply to SEO? i never heard back from them, its been more than a month

How long did Barcap take to reply?

I've applied to SEO and still waiting...
Reply 1187
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot
How long did Barcap take to reply?

I've applied to SEO and still waiting...

SEO... Got a rejection like 2 days ago, applied kind of early - October 5 ish.
Original post by dogmatichurricane
Known fact that S&T always has fewer spaces than IBD....that's universal to all the BBs not just Goldman. The no. of applicants to both are roughly the same but the no. of places makes S&T moderately more competitive.

I'm disputing research being less competitive; very few places in research and a disproportionately large proportion of the best students at the best universities seem to be applying for that division when compared to the number of places available in the division.

EDIT: Original comment wasn't even 'slightly' more competitive, but 'significantly', which is definitely not true for the majority of places.
(edited 12 years ago)
Eek, I never put down a grade. I just always put "n/a" or something like that. I figured I haven't really done any work or whatever to suggest what I would get although the obvious is a 2:1. Do you think that'll matter?
Original post by Michael XYZ
Eek, I never put down a grade. I just always put "n/a" or something like that. I figured I haven't really done any work or whatever to suggest what I would get although the obvious is a 2:1. Do you think that'll matter?

If you're a first year, it will (or should) not matter.

It's been ~2-3 months since first years started uni, that's simply not long enough to make a credible prediction for what you will get at the end of the year. Also for people on courses which are 100% assessed by exams in summer (as opposed to coursework/projects/assignments during the semester), they have no real definitive way of justifying any such prediction.

I have heard quite a few HR depts have advised first years to put N/A or something of the sort, so I'm sure they're aware that first years aren't likely to have a prediction just yet.

If you have put a prediction, it isn't unusual for the interviewer to question you on it when going through your CV, so be prepared to justify it.
Is the UBS spring week just a general one, or can you apply to certain divisions (e.g. sales and trading)?

Wow you guys are helpful..
(edited 12 years ago)
Just did the Barcap Numerical, surprised by how much time they give. The easiest test I've done and in typical SHL fashion i get a few repeated questions from previous tests like the one about replanting trees.

The Verbal however *****ed me right over
Reply 1193
Just did the Barcap Numerical, surprised by how much time they give. The easiest test I've done and in typical SHL fashion i get a few repeated questions from previous tests like the one about replanting trees.

hehehe, me too! Verbal was difficult in comparison. Can never tell how well/badly you've done either.
Original post by seans443
Does anyone know what's wrong with the BoAML careers site? I've tried for the past few days to access it on both Google Chrome and Internet Explorer and keep getting the same error message? :s-smilie:

It's working for me (on Chrome and IE)

Try this link
http://careers.bankofamerica.com/campus-emea.aspx

Original post by TroTro
hehehe, me too! Verbal was difficult in comparison. Can never tell how well/badly you've done either.

Same here, did you guys get an email saying "Congratulations you've passed the numerical" after the numerical and then one saying your app would be "screened by Grad recruitment" after the verbal?
Original post by Outsanity
Same here, did you guys get an email saying "Congratulations you've passed the numerical" after the numerical and then one saying your app would be "screened by Grad recruitment" after the verbal?

Yep, got both of those, I presumed I'd get results to the Verbal straight after I completed it considering they gave the Numerical results but we have to play the waiting game.

Did anybody fail the Barcap numerical ?
Reply 1197
Yep, got both of those, I presumed I'd get results to the Verbal straight after I completed it considering they gave the Numerical results but we have to play the waiting game.

Did anybody fail the Barcap numerical ?

what do you guys think you got roughly on the barcap numerical? ive not doone it yet
Reply 1198
I think if you fail the verbal BarCap reject you straight away, at least that's what I read on another forum I think
Original post by eco1234
what do you guys think you got roughly on the barcap numerical? ive not doone it yet

I definitely got a few wrong near the end, something about a computer superstore but time isnt an issue, you get plenty of it, and if you've done shl numericals before, it will be very easy

Latest

Trending

Trending