The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tateco
At least you have another option available if finding work doesn't work out, but you not being able to get work is strange with such a good degree, have you got work experience/internships?

And you've got it in one - I have no (significant/relevant) work experience, which makes things more difficult. I was otherwise busy in the summers before second and third year so didn't look for internships. I'm still hoping for some success; I've only been rejected from one company (a consultancy firm) so far, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be two by the end of the day (they said they'd call me today following an AC over a week ago, at which my performance was very sub-par). :frown:
Reply 6421
Original post by alex_hk90
And you've got it in one - I have no (significant/relevant) work experience, which makes things more difficult. I was otherwise busy in the summers before second and third year so didn't look for internships. I'm still hoping for some success; I've only been rejected from one company (a consultancy firm) so far, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be two by the end of the day (they said they'd call me today following an AC over a week ago, at which my performance was very sub-par). :frown:

Well good luck! :smile: It's hard to tell how ACs have gone, there are so any factors for them to consider, and if you are getting to assessment centres it probably shows they aren't that bothered about the work experience, otherwise they would probably reject you straight away...
Original post by perrytheplatypus
Only a very small bias in application I'd say. What I'm more pointing to is the fact that you'll know some of the postgrad teacher people. Makes things easier when actually doing the course :smile:

Getting into the LSE postgrad shouldn't be too hard with a LSE undergrad L101 degree seeing as its one of the best undergrad econ degrees in the world?

And you get a discount on fees if ur doing postgrad at the LSE with an undergrad degree from the LSE.
Original post by Tomatochuckers
yeah which is :u: but the wait will be :yawn:

Where you applied to?

Top 4 + an insurance. I think I may have to join you ;p.
Original post by funkydee
Getting into the LSE postgrad shouldn't be too hard with a LSE undergrad L101 degree seeing as its one of the best undergrad econ degrees in the world?

And you get a discount on fees if ur doing postgrad at the LSE with an undergrad degree from the LSE.

10% of 21k isn't a very big discount :tongue:

Besides, I'm couldn't afford it anyway. The only way I'll afford it is through studentships, etc. And from what Alex has said, it's a good thing I'm intending to do a PhD afterwards :lol:
Reply 6425
Original post by YingYang
I think deferred entry is to do with taking a gap year having already got into your chosen university and accepted it. If I was to do what I had said and got all rejections first year then yeah, I would just reapply normally the next year. And I don't think there is a disadvantage, but don't take my word for this as I am not sure.

There is no disadvantage to reapplying. I applied first time to Leicester, I didn't get the grades so i took a gap year. I then reapplied and was offered a place but again failed to get the grades. So if i had got the grades required i would have got in - even though i had been unsuccessful first time.
Reply 6426
10% of 21k isn't a very big discount :tongue:

Besides, I'm couldn't afford it anyway. The only way I'll afford it is through studentships, etc. And from what Alex has said, it's a good thing I'm intending to do a PhD afterwards :lol:

£21k plus living costs for a 1 year course?! :eek4: Is it much easier to get funding for a PhD then?
Reply 6427
Original post by alex_hk90

So do you regret not getting summer internships then ? Just out of interest would you, personally, put Bath above others in the top 5 simply because it has a 1 year long internship ?
AS someone who has been through the whole process, what advice would you give us, prospective economists, to ensure we get into the best possible job after undergrad. Would you emphasise on getting a first, internships, good references .. ?
Thanks for your time :smile:
Original post by MWM
So do you regret not getting summer internships then ? Just out of interest would you, personally, put Bath above others in the top 5 simply because it has a 1 year long internship ?
AS someone who has been through the whole process, what advice would you give us, prospective economists, to ensure we get into the best possible job after undergrad. Would you emphasise on getting a first, internships, good references .. ?

*Cough* IBD/sales and trading*Cough* :wink:
Reply 6429
How well would you rate the Industrial Economics course at Nottingham, in comparison to the straight Economics course at the top unis.
Having looked at the modules, they contain a decent amount of Economics but are slightly more business-orientated.
Will I still have the same career opportunities with Industrial Econ from a top uni instead of straight Econ? and what kind of jobs are related to Industrial Economics?
Thanks
Original post by MWM

Firstly, to clarify, I haven't actually been through the whole process yet - I'm on a post-uni gap year so I didn't apply for graduate schemes in the final year as people usually do. At the moment, I don't regret not getting summer internships because I had a lot of fun during those summers instead. Maybe if I don't find a job by the end of the year then I might then regret it. However I still have quite a few active applications and will probably make a few more as well in the coming weeks. Regarding Bath - no I wouldn't put it above others just because it has the year-long internship, but that would no doubt be very useful when applying for jobs. Finally, I wouldn't know what is the most important thing right now. One of the main benefits of a second-year internship is that you could get an offer for the graduate scheme before your final year and so not have to bother with all this at the same time as revising for final exams.
Reply 6431
Original post by V10
How well would you rate the Industrial Economics course at Nottingham, in comparison to the straight Economics course at the top unis.
Having looked at the modules, they contain a decent amount of Economics but are slightly more business-orientated.
Will I still have the same career opportunities with Industrial Econ from a top uni instead of straight Econ? and what kind of jobs are related to Industrial Economics?
Thanks

This is the applicant thread
Unconditional offer to study Economics & Management at Oxford! I'm so excited :biggrin:
Original post by AnimalSpirit
Unconditional offer to study Economics & Management at Oxford! I'm so excited :biggrin:

you hero - what college ?

Well Done! :woo:
*sigh* yeah... just thought I'd drop by to say

Y THEY TAKE SO LONG. I SO SICK OF WAITING :cry:

but yay Christmas -_-

Oh shush you :h: :woo: :party: :rolleyes::2euk48l::ahee::awesome::badger::banana::battle::bumps::cake::tree:
Original post by Tateco
£21k plus living costs for a 1 year course?! :eek4: Is it much easier to get funding for a PhD then?

I guess so. It makes sense since a masters is only really for your own benefit while a PhD expands the horizons of human knowledge...

Wow, congratulations. I'm guessing you'll be firming Oxford then?
Original post by patty9309
you hero - what college ?

Original post by jamiepango
Well Done! :woo:

Original post by Brand New Eyes
Oh shush you :h: :woo: :party: :rolleyes::2euk48l::ahee::awesome::badger::banana::battle::bumps::cake::tree:

Thank you guys! It is at Harris Manchester College :biggrin:

Wow, congratulations. I'm guessing you'll be firming Oxford then?

First I guess it has to appear on UCAS, but I'll just make my decisions once the other decisions get in.. I am very sure that I will choose Oxford though - it was the sole reason for my application to British unis :biggrin:
Reply 6438

:eek: Well done! How come it's unconditional?!
Original post by Tateco
:eek: Well done! How come it's unconditional?!

Because I have already achieved all my grades (except for math).. I do have to take a TOEFL test, though, to prove that I meet the language requirements :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending