The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think im going to drive myself insane - Im beginning to crack up because of all the worrying!!
Reply 7561
Original post by magichearts
Stop flying with BA - problem solved! :tongue:

Do you fly out from heathrow or manchester? Heathrow in general loses luggage. I too have had my bag lost before when flying in to London. I've had friends who also lost their bags, but apparently sometimes the bag gets put on the wrong belt so next time take a look around before you go to the counter.

Manc -> Heathrow. Heathrow -> HK.

Well it was kinda understandable. My Manchester flight was delayed by 2 hours, so basically there was a shuttle bus waiting right where we got off the plane and all of us were rushed off to Terminal 5. Express ticket collection and everything. There was no way they could have gotten our luggage onto the plane on time.

Already booked all tickets for this year with BA and CX...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6f2igKCG0s

Holy ****, imagine if med school interviews were like this. If I ever get involved in interviews later I'm going to be a complete bastard :tongue:
3 weeks 3 days to revise for a set of really flipping important exams.

Time to get on my hardcore hat. I facepalm myself everytime this happens, but if I start earlier I just forget it :colone: ffs.
Reply 7564
Original post by magichearts
Theifrow in general loses luggage.

FTFY

r
Original post by digitalis
Yeah, FPAS clearly demonstrated that at least for foundation jobs, it doesn't really matter if you intercalate or not. It's such a gamble as it is....I wrote my answers doing 70 hour weeks on the floor using a laptop that had a dysfunctional keyboard here and there eight time zones away and got 82, whereas some GEPs, graduates and intercalaters I know spent literally days on each question, sentence by sentence and got like their 10th choice.

I got 82 and I have no publications, degrees, posters etc....just a straight school leaver. I'm not being blase, I didn't really care where I went and so I didn't put as much effort in it as if I was desperate to stay in London.

Fair system? Don't think so!

Bear in mind that a BSc is more useful for later job applications, particularly registrar jobs where the competition gets heavy.

(also, I don't know if it's changed from my year, but the marking standard was heavily dependent on target foundation schools. In particular, it seemed the London schools were harsher than non-London ones)
Original post by carcinoma
How is the MedEd iBSc going? and that is pure reflective gold, haha.

It's all good on my end. First term has been busy and some parts of it I did find boring and irrelevant (similar to the usual MBBS course). FFC and Rollerball have had to bear my complaints and moans at some points though, but then again almost everyone intercalating that I have spoken to (at least at BL) finds some/all aspects of their course boring and "misses medicine", myself included.

The first module was comparing traditional courses with PBL, the reasons behind PBL, what motivates students to learn (i.e. would medical students still learn even if there was no exam at the end of the year?), and professionalism/portfolios, all of which was kinda fun. The second module though was so much better! We looked at selection for medical school (and got to design our ideal medical school selection system), widening access, gender/social class/educational/culture/ethnicity demographics at medical school and in particular specialities (O&G, Paeds and Ortho in particular), transformation from student to doctor and the "hidden" curriculum. The third module we start in Jan will be looking at examinations and how fair they are. Our fourth module, which sorta runs throughout the year is the Teaching module where we get to facilitate PBL sessions, give lectures, teach clinical skills, facilitate simulation exercises, facilitate comm skills, teach anatomy, and do some teacher observations. Probably the best module tbh because its very hands on.

We have a somewhat opinionated group (12 of us) which I think is fantastic - I actually look forward to our group sessions and we all really do get along with each other. D'awwww. :p: Like I said in an earlier post, there aren't usually any right or wrong answers with Med Ed so long as you can justify your answer with some educational theory, so its really nice to bounce ideas and opinions off each other. It's like real life TSR really, and I quite like it tbh. :p:

Main problems for me are the stacks and stacks of reading to do (we get about half an inch of double sided, multiple-sheets-per-page reading to do each week :yawn:), the non-stop essay assignments (which apparently reduce drastically next term), and the reflective writing we have to keep up with on top of all the teaching/learning/assessments. Sometimes, I do think this should be a BA and not a BSc, but having completed the first term (which is apparently the hardest/most tedious) with an exam on the first day back in Jan, I'd like to think its going ok so far. :p:

Second year now? How is that? Still gunning for Peninsula as always? :p:
Reply 7567
Why the medical school feels the need to slot in random, out-of-context learning objectives about nerves when we don't start the nervous system next year is beyond me. :argh:
Original post by digitalis

Note I said "douchebag gunners" - I'm not talking about the lovely nice people that happen to do well in exams that you aspire to be - I mean braggy douchebags
Original post by Medicine Man
It's all good on my end. First term has been busy and some parts of it I did find boring and irrelevant (similar to the usual MBBS course). FFC and Rollerball have had to bear my complaints and moans at some points though, but then again almost everyone intercalating that I have spoken to (at least at BL) finds some/all aspects of their course boring and "misses medicine", myself included.

The first module was comparing traditional courses with PBL, the reasons behind PBL, what motivates students to learn (i.e. would medical students still learn even if there was no exam at the end of the year?), and professionalism/portfolios, all of which was kinda fun. The second module though was so much better! We looked at selection for medical school (and got to design our ideal medical school selection system), widening access, gender/social class/educational/culture/ethnicity demographics at medical school and in particular specialities (O&G, Paeds and Ortho in particular), transformation from student to doctor and the "hidden" curriculum. The third module we start in Jan will be looking at examinations and how fair they are. Our fourth module, which sorta runs throughout the year is the Teaching module where we get to facilitate PBL sessions, give lectures, teach clinical skills, facilitate simulation exercises, facilitate comm skills, teach anatomy, and do some teacher observations. Probably the best module tbh because its very hands on.

We have a somewhat opinionated group (12 of us) which I think is fantastic - I actually look forward to our group sessions and we all really do get along with each other. D'awwww. :p: Like I said in an earlier post, there aren't usually any right or wrong answers with Med Ed so long as you can justify your answer with some educational theory, so its really nice to bounce ideas and opinions off each other. It's like real life TSR really, and I quite like it tbh. :p:

Main problems for me are the stacks and stacks of reading to do (we get about half an inch of double sided, multiple-sheets-per-page reading to do each week :yawn:), the non-stop essay assignments (which apparently reduce drastically next term), and the reflective writing we have to keep up with on top of all the teaching/learning/assessments. Sometimes, I do think this should be a BA and not a BSc, but having completed the first term (which is apparently the hardest/most tedious) with an exam on the first day back in Jan, I'd like to think its going ok so far. :p:

Second year now? How is that? Still gunning for Peninsula as always? :p:

That does actually sound like a really interesting iBSc, It is one Id definitely consider If Im offered Intercalation.

Yea, this year is so much more challenging. The contact hours have only increased slightly but the shear amount of content which has be put into those hours is mind numbing. I can barely cover the expected content, and sometimes I just full on leave stuff out and try to do it during SSC or Consolidation Weeks (which failed lol)

Yea I guess I still am. Although it annoys me a little that they listened to our feedback on certain aspects of our course and made changes. For example they changed the Evidence Based Practice/Clinical Decision making aspect of the course, so the current first years will get better and far more relevant teaching than we were given.

Having done the reading and research around your first module, are people still motivated with the absence of an end of year exam?
Original post by Beska
Why the medical school feels the need to slot in random, out-of-context learning objectives about nerves when we don't start the nervous system next year is beyond me. :argh:

"Please rate some other members before rating this member again." :frown:
Reply 7571
Speaking of gunners, there's a rumour about some of the Surgical iBSc lads from Imperial last year.

Rumour goes, that two guys doing surgery for the iBSc found out this particular "must have" text book(s) for the exams for the course. They conspired together and went and checked out every single copy of this/these book(s) from every single library campus for Imperial and kept them out for the whole year.
Original post by SMed
Speaking of gunners, there's a rumour about some of the Surgical iBSc lads from Imperial last year.

Rumour goes, that two guys doing surgery for the iBSc found out this particular "must have" text book(s) for the exams for the course. They conspired together and went and checked out every single copy of this/these book(s) from every single library campus for Imperial and kept them out for the whole year.

But other students must've put them on hold, therefore they can't keep the books longer than a fortnight...
Reply 7573
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
But other students must've put them on hold, therefore they can't keep the books longer than a fortnight...

I don't know why I didn't think of this, but I do know that it has nothing to do with the fact that I haven't checked out a book since 2009.
Reply 7574
Original post by gozatron
Oh god, i'm such a wasteman. Sat in my room with a stack of pharmacology notes for 6 hours and all i've accomplished is a new Doodle Jump high score. FFS I have exams in 3 weeks...!

87,572 :smug:
What I plan to happen over christmas:

1. Get fit (haven't been to the gym in too long and I have a lot of races coming up).
2. Catch up on work (pretty much everything from this term).
3. Write my Global Health SSC essay

What will actually happen over Christmas:

1. Get fat.
2. Procrastinate
3. Procrastinate
Original post by SMed
I don't know why I didn't think of this, but I do know that it has nothing to do with the fact that I haven't checked out a book since 2009.

I still have a book from semester 3. Semester 3 was 1.5 years ago. :s-smilie: I don't even want to ask how much I owe :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)

I still have a book from semester 3. Semester was 1.5 years ago. :s-smilie: I don't even want to ask how much I owe :redface:

We get charged 50p an hour overdue for short term loan books. :ninja:
Original post by Medicine Man
This iBSc year for me so far has been more effort than second year (which was quite a tough year for me). Half of the people on my course are intercalating after 4th year too (apparently the hardest year at BL) and even they've said this is so much more effort than that year. Obviously small sample and they are speaking retrospectively, but still fairly surprising.

I think the difficulty with an iBSc (particularly one which isn't hardcore science) is the fact that you can't memorise or learn a mnemonic etc. to pass the exams. You read crap loads of papers and text books, and whereas these will broadly contain factual information in medicine, with Med Ed, no one (strictly speaking) is right or wrong so you end up having to read loads and loads around a topic to generally get an idea of what is going on, and then use that to formulate your opinion in an essay or an exam. That's the tough bit for me - I'm quite happy voicing my ill-informed opinions about football or strictly come dancing or whatever, but actually having a well informed opinion about education, in particular medical education, is so much more harder than I thought, and that has been my biggest suprise.

I might just copy and paste this into my reflective portfolio I'm meant to be keeping this year. :p:

Are you intercalating between 4th and 5th year? After speaking to other intercalaters - most of them find this year harder than Medicine so it's not just your year! Well at least life will seem simpler when we go back :tongue:

See with the Med Ed - I can completely understand the difficulty you're having because I imagine there isn't much literature available as it's on education. Perhaps you could look at management publications? One of the F1s I worked with on a small research project was quite into teaching and he said management stuff was very similar to Medical Education (he was very interested in being an NHS manager-something). But I don't really know much about that side I'm afraid. (But that is definitely reflective gold :tongue: )

My project is really scientific but a major problem is that you can't predict the way research will go. Initially we were looking into cardiac ageing after radiation... one of our assays showed there was no ageing going on (even though the pilot study showed something completely different, but that was done at different time points to patient radiation exposure) - anyhow now we're focusing on lymphocytes.

But sometimes I feel like going into a mad panic because there isn't that structure to fall back on, like in Medicine - you have guidelines and systems in place you need to follow - and say if a patient's vitals change - you know what to do next and what obs to keep checking. With research, it's more independant thinking and fluid - there is no set structure which sort of scares me. :s-smilie:

I hope you are enjoying yours though :smile: would you be interested in going into teaching later on?
Original post by gozatron
We get charged 50p an hour overdue for short term loan books. :ninja:

Wow that is a crazy amount. Well for my overdue book - I haven't been sent any (more) emails since a year. Perhaps should just go to the librarian in a disguise and say 'oh I found this book behind the shelf - I think its been there for the last year or so...' :ninja: but it wasn't in the reading list - just got it for my SSC on 'Physiological Measurements', book is pretty good as it's on Clinical biochemistry so explains all the pathophysiology and how it would exhibit in tests like hepatic jaundice, diabetes, Cushings and so on.
(edited 12 years ago)