The Student Room Group

What are the Best Sixth forms/colleges in Birmingham

Hello, im currently in year 11 and we're being told its time to start applying for colleges.

I want to apply for the best colleges in Birmingham as I intend to study bio/chem/physics/maths.

I want to go to an ethically/cultural sixth form, with a very mixed studentbase so social interaction is accesible and not limited as I have found it to be as the School i currently attend is a completely White school, me being the only coloured student in the whole of KS4.

Also i really want a good working environment where i will the recieve teaching and support I need to achieve straight A's.

How many should i apply to? What will i need to include in my application?

I hope someone can help, thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In need of some quick assistance.. i'll be recieving the reference from my school tommorow so need to apply asap.

Can anyone help?
Reply 2
Anyone... :s-smilie:
Reply 3
well what are your predicted grades.
Reply 4
KES Camp Hill or Five Ways I guess !
Well King edwards are the best-Camp hill, Five Ways and Handsworth.
I would reccomend applying to Solihull sixth form too-it's not bad but always a good idea to apply as a back up.
Other sixth forms/colleges-Cadbury,Bournville school and sixth form, Bournville college-not sure how good they are but worth applying too.
Have a look at school sixth forms; i'm in year 11 and live in B'ham too-i'm looking at sixth forms outside the area in to Wasall. But thats because i'm looking for a fresh start somewhere outside my local area.

Sutton coldfield grammar school is good and stratford grammar school are very good, slightly further away but worth looking in to
Hope that helped :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm in year 11 and I've applied to JCC and I'm going to apply to Solihull Sixth Form as well. I don't know which one I should go to. Help!
Original post by Ferrari_1996

I'm in year 11 and I've applied to JCC and I'm going to apply to Solihull Sixth Form as well. I don't know which one I should go to. Help!

JCC is full of dossers, don't get me wrong though there are some people who actually do want to well but not that good. Solihull sixth form has gone from oustanding to satisfactory just to let you know. It's still better the JCC. It doesn't matter where you go as long as you work hard :smile:
Original post by AKKaur
JCC is full of dossers, don't get me wrong though there are some people who actually do want to well but not that good. Solihull sixth form has gone from oustanding to satisfactory just to let you know. It's still better the JCC. It doesn't matter where you go as long as you work hard :smile:

Why has Solihull Sixth Form gone from Outstanding to Satisfactory?

Why has Solihull Sixth Form gone from Outstanding to Satisfactory?

This article explains it all: http://thesilhillian.blogspot.com/2011/12/solihull-sixth-form-college-downgraded.html
Don't be put off because of it, it's still a deccent sixth form. If there's any consolation i may be going there too :h:
To be honest there are alot of TOP colleges/sixth forms, that have higher grades but are not necessarily the best, if you go to somewhere like camp hill, the teaching style are impersonal and more of lectures, whereas some teach you like secondary school and teach you properly how i see it.
p.s, i have applied to Cadbury, Solihull Sixth Form, and JC, and i have been accepted into all 3 , i will defiantly choose Joseph Chamberlain College, mainly because its a new building, facilities are great, they teach you well, nice small class room sizes so its more a personal lesson where you are actually taught, rather than a lecturer type lesson like places such as Camp Hill, but hey whatever teaching style you like better, you will decide where to go.
Reply 11
Cadbury college (not biased, really) Unlike JCC is has a diverse population, and the teachers are pretty good - the ones I had anyway. Plus the dinner lady Natasha is a ****ing legend.
But its definitely worth trying to get into Camp Hill or other grammar schools. Solihull sixth form is quite good too apparently.
Original post by john smith 1

To be honest there are alot of TOP colleges/sixth forms, that have higher grades but are not necessarily the best, if you go to somewhere like camp hill, the teaching style are impersonal and more of lectures, whereas some teach you like secondary school and teach you properly how i see it.
p.s, i have applied to Cadbury, Solihull Sixth Form, and JC, and i have been accepted into all 3 , i will defiantly choose Joseph Chamberlain College, mainly because its a new building, facilities are great, they teach you well, nice small class room sizes so its more a personal lesson where you are actually taught, rather than a lecturer type lesson like places such as Camp Hill, but hey whatever teaching style you like better, you will decide where to go.

Hey! :smile: Are you in year 11? If you are how can you already have got an offer..?
i applied 2 months ago +, attended the interviews, got the offer providing i meet their minimum which i defiantly will, so basically i can pick where i want to go
and yes i am
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
attended the interviews, got the offer providing i meet their minimum which i defiantly will, so basically i can pick where i want to go

Which college's mate?

i applied 2 months ago +, attended the interviews, got the offer providing i meet their minimum which i defiantly will, so basically i can pick where i want to go
and yes i am

Really? Most applications wern't even out then but okay :biggrin:
yes, i had an interview for jcc last week, solihull a few weeks before that and cadbury a few weeks before solihull
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Holte Visual and Performing Arts College + Sixth form :biggrin:

yes, i had an interview for jcc last week, solihull a few weeks before that and cadbury a few weeks before solihull

Aaah okay well good luck :smile:
Reply 19
Anyone applied KES?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending