The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6440
Original post by AnimalSpirit
Unconditional offer to study Economics & Management at Oxford! I'm so excited :biggrin:

Congrats! Well done!
Reply 6441
Because I have already achieved all my grades (except for math).. I do have to take a TOEFL test, though, to prove that I meet the language requirements :smile:

Well that's brilliant well done! The first oxbridge offer of the thread :h:
Unconditional offer to study Economics & Management at Oxford! I'm so excited :biggrin:

Really well done! You must be so happy! :biggrin:

Now withdraw from the UCL Year Abroad course :colone:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by WalkerPrince
Really well done! You must be so happy! :biggrin:

Now withdraw from the UCL Year Abroad course :colone:

Haha I am really happy, yes! :biggrin:.. And I'm sorry, but I'll stick to my choices until I have all my decisions - I am sure that they will pass on the offer for year abroad if I decline it! After all, they only have 20 places :smile:
Reply 6444
Original post by alex_hk90
Firstly, to clarify, I haven't actually been through the whole process yet - I'm on a post-uni gap year so I didn't apply for graduate schemes in the final year as people usually do. At the moment, I don't regret not getting summer internships because I had a lot of fun during those summers instead. Maybe if I don't find a job by the end of the year then I might then regret it. However I still have quite a few active applications and will probably make a few more as well in the coming weeks. Regarding Bath - no I wouldn't put it above others just because it has the year-long internship, but that would no doubt be very useful when applying for jobs. Finally, I wouldn't know what is the most important thing right now. One of the main benefits of a second-year internship is that you could get an offer for the graduate scheme before your final year and so not have to bother with all this at the same time as revising for final exams.

Thnx for the response, I would rep you but for some reason I can't.
Reply 6445

Why did you bold "so" and not "excited" ?
Haha I am really happy, yes! :biggrin:.. And I'm sorry, but I'll stick to my choices until I have all my decisions - I am sure that they will pass on the offer for year abroad if I decline it! After all, they only have 20 places :smile:

you have an unconditional for Oxford? why wouldn't you withdraw your application from all the other unis and just firm Oxford? Unless you'd rather go to UCL or LSE instead of Oxford??
Reply 6447
Original post by funkydee
you have an unconditional for Oxford? why wouldn't you withdraw your application from all the other unis and just firm Oxford? Unless you'd rather go to UCL or LSE instead of Oxford??

I agree with this guy. You have all the right to keep your applications in the places you have sent them to, but it would be better for others if you took your application out of places that you definitely aren't going to go to as it allows other people who might take that offer to get one.
If I get an unconditional (I am post A2) from LSE/Cam then I will most likely be withdrawing my app from other places to give chances to those that might take the offer.

Original post by MWM
I agree with this guy. You have all the right to keep your applications in the places you have sent them to, but it would be better for others if you took your application out of places that you definitely aren't going to go to as it allows other people who might take that offer to get one.
If I get an unconditional (I am post A2) from LSE/Cam then I will most likely be withdrawing my app from other places to give chances to those that might take the offer.

Withdrawing the application will give no benefits to the offer holder at all. What if the applicant has yet to fully make up their minds about where they would like to study? While most people have a firm idea of where they want to go, surely it is better to have more options in the event that they wish to change choices.
Original post by MWM

He may not have made up his mind, also maybe e wants to see if he'll get in :tongue:, he can always withdraw later

As the person above suggested, a simple cost-benefit analysis from his perspective would show that he has little or next to no benefit from withdrawing his application even if it does mean AN OVERALL WEIGHT WELFARE LOSS (for everyone else). Gosh, I love Economics...
Reply 6451
Original post by tooambitious
He may not have made up his mind, also maybe e wants to see if he'll get in :tongue:, he can always withdraw later

If he hasn't made up his mind then by all means he should keep his applications alive. However, I am pretty sure that he won't reject Oxford for anywhere else especially he said it was the main reason for applying to British uni's.
If he withdraws it after getting an offer I guess that's fine as long as it gives the uni enough time to re-make that offer to other people.
All I am saying is that If you have an uncon offer from oxbridge/lse then there is little point in keeping all your other applications in as it could be taking up someone else's space who might actually accept an offer from there.
Original post by Melikeyflute
As the person above suggested, a simple cost-benefit analysis from his perspective would show that he has little or next to no benefit from withdrawing his application even if it does mean AN OVERALL WEIGHT WELFARE LOSS (for everyone else). Gosh, I love Economics...

Although the social benefits would be greater while the private costs would be at a minimum :tongue: But yea why should he do that, he is definetely going to Oxford I suppose (I know him :wink: ) but when I were in his position I would want to see what other choices send me offers/rejections. And one place really doesn't make much of a difference I suppose. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MWM
If he hasn't made up his mind then by all means he should keep his applications alive. However, I am pretty sure that he won't reject Oxford for anywhere else especially he said it was the main reason for applying to British uni's.
If he withdraws it after getting an offer I guess that's fine as long as it gives the uni enough time to re-make that offer to other people.
All I am saying is that If you have an uncon offer from oxbridge/lse then there is little point in keeping all your other applications in as it could be taking up someone else's space who might actually accept an offer from there.

I know where you're coming from in just trying to see it from his point of view :smile:
Reply 6454
Definitely don't withdraw from those universities, why would you! Enjoy seeing all the other offers roll in behind Oxford and enjoy the satisfaction of foregoing offers from the top 5 to accept the best :wink:
Reply 6455
Original post by nightmare91
Although the social benefits would be greater while the private costs would be at a minimum :tongue: But yea why should he do that, he is definetely going to Oxford I suppose (I know him :wink: ) but when I were in his position I would want to see what other choices send me offers/rejections. And one place really doesn't make much of a difference I suppose. :smile:

Did you get an offer from Oxford as well? :rolleyes:
Original post by Dat Guy
Did you get an offer from Oxford as well? :rolleyes:

I got rejected last week...
Reply 6457
Original post by nightmare91
I got rejected last week...

Sorry to hear that! I thought your interview went well! What do you think is the reason? :confused:
Reply 6458
Has anyone heard from UCL yet? I know they have started giving rejections and offers out to medics, but has anyone heard anything for Economics?
Original post by kt94
Has anyone heard from UCL yet? I know they have started giving rejections and offers out to medics, but has anyone heard anything for Economics?

There have been no UCL offers as far as we're aware.

Latest

Trending

Trending