The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Writing Services??

I was just wondering that aren't these services illegal??...I mean surely paying someone to write your ps for you doesn't make sense cos it's personal and unique to you.

Here's me working hard and chasing my tutor every day to look at my drafts, when all I could have done is payed someone to do it and spent the time I spent on it revising :s-smilie:

If you have done it then did you get onto your course? Did anyone realise it wasn't yours?
The reason I'm asking is because I've done my ps and I'm ready to send it off but it hasn't got the attention-grabbing factor and I'd do anything to get onto my course, I love it so much...and my tutor who is also my referee hasn't really given me constructive criticism and is always moaning cos he has 100 mocks to mark and doesn't have anytime. But when I read my classmates' ps's, they have an exceptionally good layout and enthusiastic words, whereas my one is just plain...I did submit it on the TSR ps help forum and I made the improvements that I was told to do but most of the stuff I wrote is quite common and I feel like I won't get it just because of it as I've heard that many people get rejected due to their ps :frown:

Should I do it? Give it a try? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Not illegal, no.

Still don't use them.
No, but there have been stories where people have used them, and submit them, but the services that supply the statements supply similar statements to many people and so you end up being caught out. It's far better to write a statement since you can express yourself much better than a PS writing service can. Note that our service differs in that we don't write the statement for you, but review it and offer tips and advice on how you can improve it.
Note that I'm not advising you to do this, as I'm sure that what you've written yourself is better than you realise; but you could always get a particularly articulate friend who knows you fairly well to sit down with you and help.

I mean, speaking from experience, I've personally helped a few friends, in my year and others, to write their statements. The content is always their own and it's more the case that I make several suggestions in terms of words, sentence structures, paragraph styles and they choose whichever ones most reflect what they're trying to say.
Get a trusted friend/family/pet to write it with you. Or if you fancy being brave, you could write it yourself?
Reply 5
Best to write it yourself with the help of teachers and family in my opinion. Find someone at school that's got experience in these things!
Reply 6
Original post by Greatleysteg
Note that I'm not advising you to do this, as I'm sure that what you've written yourself is better than you realise; but you could always get a particularly articulate friend who knows you fairly well to sit down with you and help.

I mean, speaking from experience, I've personally helped a few friends, in my year and others, to write their statements. The content is always their own and it's more the case that I make several suggestions in terms of words, sentence structures, paragraph styles and they choose whichever ones most reflect what they're trying to say.

Original post by The_master616
Get a trusted friend/family/pet to write it with you. Or if you fancy being brave, you could write it yourself?

Original post by AkDo
Best to write it yourself with the help of teachers and family in my opinion. Find someone at school that's got experience in these things!

The thing is, I'm the first person in my family to go to uni so no one else really knows the whole process. My cousins attended unis in different countries which have different processes and none of them even know that UCAS exists :s-smilie:
I don't have any reliable friends at school that speak the truth or help me and the teachers at school don't have time, the amount of times I've waited outside the staff room with my ps but no one answers :frown:
UCAS will give you the answers you require.
Original post by Abi20
The thing is, I'm the first person in my family to go to uni so no one else really knows the whole process. My cousins attended unis in different countries which have different processes and none of them even know that UCAS exists :s-smilie:
I don't have any reliable friends at school that speak the truth or help me and the teachers at school don't have time, the amount of times I've waited outside the staff room with my ps but no one answers :frown:

Hmmm, I feel awful for you. Whereabouts are you applying from? Perhaps the universities might notice if you're applying from a school/country that doesn't send many people to UK universities.

You could always hire a tutor temporarily - either someone who advertises helping with uni applications (possibly rare) or someone who offers help in English, and just explain that you'd like some help with this creative pursuit?

Other than that, I'm all out of ideas. I mean, I'm personally happy to give you feedback and make some suggestions as to where you could improve your CV, if you like.

Chances are, if you've had multiple people looking at it already, including on this site, it won't be half bad!
Original post by Abi20

Around 2/3 of your statement should be to do with your subject and 1/3 extracurricular activities. Check out the links in my signature and then feel free to post your statement in our PS Help forum which is completely private and we should be able to help you more. I was in a similar situation to you and I just wrote it how I thought it should be written and got advice after that. But as I say, use what is available to you and our PS Help service is more than happy to help.

Click on get your statement reviewed to post a draft when you're ready for a review.

Exactly what my mum and older brother have been doing for me this year, as I had to reapply :colondollar:

I had a statement that my college tutors worked on with me last year, but I needed to tweak that quite a bit to reflect where I am at now....
Original post by Abi20

Original post by Abi20
I did submit it on the TSR ps help forum and I made the improvements that I was told to do

Do you realise that you can submit a redraft and we can help you again? We can't promise to help again because obviously reviewers have lives and we have to prioritise first drafts so that we can help as many people as possible but you're more than welcome to submit your latest draft and then someone can help you further :smile:

Having just had a wee look at your draft now, lets just say your first draft was not the worst I've seen by any means at all and you were definitely along the right lines before you had any help from us so with improvements, it should be better now.

Other than that, I'm all out of ideas. I mean, I'm personally happy to give you feedback and make some suggestions as to where you could improve your CV, if you like.

I know you mean well but please do not offer to help people with their personal statement on TSR unless you're a PS helper and are doing it via the PS help service. I'm not saying this because we think we're amazing or that I think you would be incapable of providing support, far from it. I'm saying it because we do not want to create an atmosphere on the site where it is acceptable for applicants to send their PS to complete strangers who may not actually be who they claim. There are cases every year where applicants get unstuck due to PMing their PS to someone for "help" then this person actually ends up submitting a very similar draft of the PS to UCAS themselves rather than actually helping. As a result, the initial applicant then ends up with a UCAS similarity detection issue on their hands which isn't really a good thing when all they wanted is help. I know and realise that a lot of people offering help with PSs on TSR are completely genuine, however, some are not and if an applicant PMs one person and everything goes fine it means that they are then more likely to also PM someone else. The next time they may not be so lucky.

I realise you're currently going through the UCAS process yourself so therefore you can not be a PS helper at the moment, but if you are interested in supporting applicants, then please do apply to PS help in the summer and we can get you started :smile: To become a PS helper applicants have to provide verification of their university status and we have a much clearer idea that they are who they say they are whereas the same can not be said when PMing random people on TSR.
Reply 12
It would be better to get an intelligent friend or family member to assist you if you need any help.
Original post by oxymoronic

I know you mean well but please do not offer to help people with their personal statement on TSR unless you're a PS helper and are doing it via the PS help service. I'm not saying this because we think we're amazing or that I think you would be incapable of providing support, far from it. I'm saying it because we do not want to create an atmosphere on the site where it is acceptable for applicants to send their PS to complete strangers who may not actually be who they claim. There are cases every year where applicants get unstuck due to PMing their PS to someone for "help" then this person actually ends up submitting a very similar draft of the PS to UCAS themselves rather than actually helping. As a result, the initial applicant then ends up with a UCAS similarity detection issue on their hands which isn't really a good thing when all they wanted is help. I know and realise that a lot of people offering help with PSs on TSR are completely genuine, however, some are not and if an applicant PMs one person and everything goes fine it means that they are then more likely to also PM someone else. The next time they may not be so lucky.

I realise you're currently going through the UCAS process yourself so therefore you can not be a PS helper at the moment, but if you are interested in supporting applicants, then please do apply to PS help in the summer and we can get you started :smile: To become a PS helper applicants have to provide verification of their university status and we have a much clearer idea that they are who they say they are whereas the same can not be said when PMing random people on TSR.

Apologies. I am an ex-PS helper on this site. I didn't realise I couldn't help now, being an applicant myself, though I can see why.

Apologies. I am an ex-PS helper on this site. I didn't realise I couldn't help now, being an applicant myself, though I can see why.

Well when you've finished applying for law if you'd like to rejoin PS help then that would be cool and then maybe we can get you doing some reviews. We've got a shortage of linguistics and lawyers so you'd fit right in.
Reply 15

You could always hire a tutor temporarily - either someone who advertises helping with uni applications (possibly rare) or someone who offers help in English, and just explain that you'd like some help with this creative pursuit?

Good idea...Thanks for that :smile:

Original post by toronto353
Check out the links in my signature......our PS Help service is more than happy to help.

Sorry, but because I don't go on here much, I don't know where the signature is located. Could you tell me where I have to go to access your signature? :colondollar:
Thank you, I will submit my redraft ASAP :smile:

Do you realise that you can submit a redraft and we can help you again? We can't promise to help again because obviously reviewers have lives and we have to prioritise first drafts so that we can help as many people as possible but you're more than welcome to submit your latest draft and then someone can help you further :smile:

Having just had a wee look at your draft now, lets just say your first draft was not the worst I've seen by any means at all and you were definitely along the right lines before you had any help from us so with improvements, it should be better now.

I didn't realise that until now :colondollar: Thank you. When I submit my redraft, do I paste it onto the thread that I already created for my first draft or make a new thread? :smile:
Original post by Abi20

Original post by Abi20
I didn't realise that until now :colondollar: Thank you. When I submit my redraft, do I paste it onto the thread that I already created for my first draft or make a new thread? :smile:

Go to your original thread in PS help and just post your redraft as a new post in the same thread. Then someone will change the tag on your thread to updated and people will know that it needs attention.
Reply 17
Go to your original thread in PS help and just post your redraft as a new post in the same thread. Then someone will change the tag on your thread to updated and people will know that it needs attention.

Ok. Thank you very much.
:merry:
does anyone know any of these services or recommend one? I wanna check this out because my English is not that great and I cant write one at all
Original post by AkshayKishor
does anyone know any of these services or recommend one? I wanna check this out because my English is not that great and I cant write one at all

Hello! I know a girl who does it, and she is really good at it, as she is also in a company where they deal every day with university applications. If you want I can send you her email, and you can contact her. It's not expensive the service that she offers, I GOT MY OFFER AT LSE thanks to her!

Latest

Trending

Trending