The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miml
Doing some research on HSBC I've come across a whole load of articles regarding BoAML, RBS, Nomura, UBS and maybe a few others that are cutting jobs in the next year. Nomura had a case of getting rid of grads. HSBC and RBS are cutting jobs across the investment banking division. Vickers report means for example BarCap could potentially move to Wall Street, significantly downsizing UK operations.

Makes me think, what's the point? Allow 100 hour weeks, just go work in PwC.

Because PWC is an accountancy firm, that's why.

Many banks are downsizing their IB activity, in pursuit of PWM expansion. The change will take a while (5 years MINIMUM),and shouldn't impact spring weeks significantly.
Reply 1301
anyone applied to BNP Paribas yet? do they give out tests?

and also has anyone applied to ICAP? and they give out tests?
Reply 1302
Original post by natashabedford
Because PWC is an accountancy firm, that's why.

Many banks are downsizing their IB activity, in pursuit of PWM expansion. The change will take a while (5 years MINIMUM),and shouldn't impact spring weeks significantly.

Yeah I'm sure it won't have any impact now, or even for internships. But 2/3 years into the profession and you won't even be sure if you can go in the next day.

Hmm, maybe I'm being influenced more than I think by the media.
Dammit, put the wrong bank name in the last line of my cover letter for BoA.

So that's Credit Suisse and BoA that I'm definitely getting rejected from then... :erm:
Original post by miml

Makes me think, what's the point? Allow 100 hour weeks, just go work in PwC.

But I'd find doing 100 hours on something I'm interested in easier than doing 50 hours at an accounting firm (nothing against accounting, just no my cup of tea).
Apart from all the obvious places, where have others applied for? I understand some are a little reluctant to say but a few more people applying here is unlikely to kill chances.
Original post by miml
Yeah I'm sure it won't have any impact now, or even for internships. But 2/3 years into the profession and you won't even be sure if you can go in the next day.

Hmm, maybe I'm being influenced more than I think by the media.

No you are actually thinking like 90% of the traders, VP's etc in the City.

There is an alternative, and that is buy - side. Think how little (negative) media coverage there is for buy - side companies compared to the sell - side?

Yet it's the Buy - side firms that are making the real money, by taking the positions.
Reply 1307
Original post by Hackett
No you are actually thinking like 90% of the traders, VP's etc in the City.

There is an alternative, and that is buy - side. Think how little (negative) media coverage there is for buy - side companies compared to the sell - side?

Yet it's the Buy - side firms that are making the real money, by taking the positions.

these are the firms that are so hard to get into.
Does anybody know if it's possible to withdraw an application for Bank of America Merrill Lynch and then re-apply?
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Does anybody know if it's possible to withdraw an application for Bank of America Merrill Lynch and then re-apply?

I did that with goldman sachs and you can't but not sue on BoAML.... it was by far my best application :cry2:
Original post by soczek322
I did that with goldman sachs and you can't but not sue on BoAML.... it was by far my best application :cry2:

Why did you withdraw a good application? :eek:
Reply 1311
Original post by Marc Fiorano
Why did you withdraw a good application? :eek:

I think what he meant is that he mixed up the names of the banks, not that he did a withdraw.
I withdrew mine because I chose I can only work on Aruba - I thought I'll be able to apply again. Is it against the rules to make a different account and apply again?
Original post by Michael XYZ
Apart from all the obvious places, where have others applied for? I understand some are a little reluctant to say but a few more people applying here is unlikely to kill chances.

This thread isnt just viewed by people who make comments and are members, think about all the people who view it from google searches and other sites

But I'd find doing 100 hours on something I'm interested in easier than doing 50 hours at an accounting firm (nothing against accounting, just no my cup of tea).

Depends what you want to do in IB. Profesional services isnt just checking balance sheets
Original post by soczek322
I withdrew mine because I chose I can only work on Aruba - I thought I'll be able to apply again. Is it against the rules to make a different account and apply again?

I'm seriously contemplating doing that...
Yes but still... =/
Reply 1316
**** just got an interview with jp morgan ib division
Original post by LawQC

Nice one! Telephone or AC?
Good to hear they're starting to move along now.
Original post by LawQC

Experience the Markets programme?

I think i messed up the numerical but I've not got a reply yet
Reply 1319
Nice one! Telephone or AC?
Good to hear they're starting to move along now.

2 thirty minute face to face at their offices - Im literally fuking nervious now lol

- it says its competency but they can ask technical aptitude question.

Latest