The Student Room Group

What is your take on the 'ideal' 36-24-36 body statistics?

What do you think about it? Do you think it really is the 'perfect' body?
Is hourglass the ideal figure?
What are your statistics? Are you happy with them?

EDIT: According to quite a few clothing sizing guides such as TopShop, 36 inches on the bust is a size 12, 24 inches on the waist is a size 6 and 36 inches on the hips is a size 10.
The bra size on this 'ideal' figure is approximately a 28F/FF, which is equivalent to 34D/DD in terms of cup volume.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think that sounds about right because it has a good waist to hip ratio, but women come in all shapes and sizes and each size is beautiful for their own reason, whether that's due to being curvy or being toned and lean.

My personal measurements are 36-27-39 but I'm hoping to lose weight in the new year. My hips and bum are naturally big through so I doubt they'll go down much. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LeaX
I think that sounds about right because it has a good waist to hip ratio, but women come in all shapes and sizes and each size is beautiful for their own reason, whether that's due to being curvy or being toned and lean.

My personal measurements are 39-27-36 but I'm hoping to lose weight in the new year. My hips and bum are naturally big through so I doubt they'll go down much. :frown:

I don't think you need to lose weight.. from your measurements they sound good. and i have a naturally big bum but slim hips .. like from the front you'd think im flat but then from the back its a different story! :s-smilie: i can't ever lose my bum but then i dont want to either xD
Reply 3
Honestly I think it's a shame that there even is an idea of a "perfect" body ratio but it must be based on what, statistically, most people want to see! Personally I think small boobs/hips are attractive but then I am a girl (and I'm straight) so my opinion doesn't really count!

Every shape is beautiful so love yourself.

EDIT: Unless you are unhealthily big or small..
Original post by ktylntn
Honestly I think it's a shame that there even is an idea of a "perfect" body ratio but it must be based on what, statistically, most people want to see! Personally I think small boobs/hips are attractive but then I am a girl (and I'm straight) so my opinion doesn't really count!

Every shape is beautiful so love yourself.

EDIT: Unless you are unhealthily big or small..

why can't you love yourself if you're unhealthily big or small? surely if you love yourself and you're unhealthily small, for example, then you're more likely to WANT to gain weight because if you love yourself you care about your own health and wellbeing. the idea that people who are at unhealthy weights shouldn't love themselves is absurd, and it's more often applied to fat people. if we're assuming that they're fat because they eat too much, it's likely that if people are telling them they're not worthy of love they're going to comfort eat, or unsuccessfully diet.
Reply 5
Women who arent 36-24-36 are fat.
Reply 6
Original post by raspberryruffle
why can't you love yourself if you're unhealthily big or small? surely if you love yourself and you're unhealthily small, for example, then you're more likely to WANT to gain weight because if you love yourself you care about your own health and wellbeing. the idea that people who are at unhealthy weights shouldn't love themselves is absurd, and it's more often applied to fat people. if we're assuming that they're fat because they eat too much, it's likely that if people are telling them they're not worthy of love they're going to comfort eat, or unsuccessfully diet.

That's a fair point, I didn't think of it in that way.
What a load of *******s this is. Some guys might like a woman like that, some guys might like a woman with no shape. Some guys even like extremely fat women, the point is you cant just come out with the "perfect" body shape as beauty is "in the eye of the beholder". I personally couldn't care less what her body shape was as long as i think shes beautiful thats all that matters(looks wise anyway)
Original post by yothi5

Original post by yothi5

What about people whose bust measurements are smaller than 36?

I'm shocked that 36 bust size is considered "ideal" - that's WAY bigger than what I am.
Reply 9
Original post by im so academic

I'm shocked that 36 bust size is considered "ideal" - that's WAY bigger than what I am.

Well then, they are probably too thin! Not really much difference between 36 and 34 though. Not seen you around for a while, im so academic! Got into Oxbridge yet? :tongue:
Original post by im so academic

maybe it's because women with a large back size also tend to have larger cup size, like 28 E or something is quite unusual
Original post by yothi5

Original post by yothi5
Well then, they are probably too thin! Not really much difference between 36 and 34 though. Not seen you around for a while, im so academic! Got into Oxbridge yet? :tongue:

I'm talking about 28/30 bust size.
Reply 12
Original post by yothi5

so I'm fat at 31-24-36? Rightio.

I think all shapes and sizes are beautiful. More people should learn to love themselves as they are rather than aspiring for a 'perfect', and probably unattainable figure. I'm very happy with myself as I am and I wouldn't change it at all.
Reply 13
maybe it's because women with a large back size also tend to have larger cup size, like 28 E or something is quite unusual

28E is not abnormal.. My friend is that and she's about 34 loosely around her bust lol. Its probably more of a FF/G
those wack stats are unattainable.

as long as you can wear clothes, everything's good right?
i just measured myself for this thread, 37-28-42.. wtf?
Original post by fxyz
28E is not abnormal.. My friend is that and she's about 34 loosely around her bust lol. Its probably more of a FF/G

i don't know, i've just hardly seen '28' bras in shops, and if so only in like aa and a.
I know I might be a bit dumb, but where is each of those measurments taken? Is it breasts, smallest part of waist and hips?
I just want to know what I'm comparing to haha
Reply 17
i don't know, i've just hardly seen '28' bras in shops, and if so only in like aa and a.

Its not abnormal..its just that people tend to be wearing the wrong bra size and get measured wrong and bra fitters that dont know what they're doing add 4 or 5 inches to their underbust measurement to get their band size which isnt always the correct way.. I wear a 28 band and i'm not ridiculously tiny lol
Bravissimo go up to a 28L cup
Reply 18
Original post by Emaemmaemily
I know I might be a bit dumb, but where is each of those measurments taken? Is it breasts, smallest part of waist and hips?
I just want to know what I'm comparing to haha

fullest part of bust, smallest part of waist, fullest part of hips inc the arse :smile:
Original post by fxyz
fullest part of bust, smaller part of waist, fullest part of hips inc the arse :smile:

Ah. Well them I'm 42-29-39
How can anyone possibly be 24 inches in the waist? Surely no bra would ever fit them?