The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Offer for Mathematics at St. Catz, Oxford!

The maths section here in TSR has been an invaluable help in MAT preparations and interview preparations so thank you! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
OFFER from Bristol! A In "Future Exams"
does anyone have the jan 2002 edexcel m1 mark scheme? i can't find it anywhere :/

never mind...found it :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4003
Original post by multiplexing-gamer

Hello guys, is it true you get a cash reward if you get really high in your STEP paper? Thanks

Unless there is some sort of college/uni specific scholarship/bursary that does reward exceptional grades I think not. I got 113/120 in my STEP I (I am Scottish so sat I and II) which placed me second out of all entries and I have definitely not received a penny for it. :smile:
Original post by Reminisce
Offer for Mathematics at St. Catz, Oxford!

The maths section here in TSR has been an invaluable help in MAT preparations and interview preparations so thank you! :smile:

Congrats! Good to see some more Oxford people here, usually it's just the Cambridge lot :tongue: Is it A*A*[M,FM] A? :smile:
Original post by Xero Xenith
Congrats! Good to see some more Oxford people here, usually it's just the Cambridge lot :tongue: Is it A*A*[M,FM] A? :smile:

Yup (although its just A*A since I've finished maths A Levels).
Original post by hassi94
Does it matter? They've basically said you have an offer :tongue:

True!!! :tongue: hehe
But its still nice to get an offer and now i wont get one until march :/
I got an offer from Lancaster today :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

And a christmas ecard from Liverpool....hehe
Original post by dbou
Unless there is some sort of college/uni specific scholarship/bursary that does reward exceptional grades I think not. I got 113/120 in my STEP I (I am Scottish so sat I and II) which placed me second out of all entries and I have definitely not received a penny for it. :smile:

I heard if you got like Outstanding or something you get £500?
Reply 4009
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
I heard if you got like Outstanding or something you get £500?

There isn't an Oustanding in STEP, it goes (Worst) U, 3, 2, 1, S (Best) with S standing for scholarship. You don't actually get a scholarship, this is just a hangover from a previous incarnation.

Maybe you are thinking about the Maths Tripos (the name of the maths degree at Cambridge) where you get a fixed sum (varies between colleges) if you get a First?
Edinburgh offer :smile:
Original post by derangedyoshi

Edinburgh offer :smile:

Wow congrats mate, did you apply to bachelor of maths at edinurgh , ive applied to tha one havent heard anything yet, hopefully soon! congrats though
Original post by einstein123
Wow congrats mate, did you apply to bachelor of maths at edinurgh , ive applied to tha one havent heard anything yet, hopefully soon! congrats though

Thanks!! :smile: I applied to MMath. I'm sure you'll hear before too long.

Thanks!! :smile: I applied to MMath. I'm sure you'll hear before too long.

Hopefully, also do they consider MMath and G100 candidates separately, or Maths candidates as a whole? (sorry for all the questions)
Original post by dbou

Well done on your STEP grades! What's the best way to prepare for STEP in your opinion? Do you just keep on doing past paper questions?
Original post by einstein123
Hopefully, also do they consider MMath and G100 candidates separately, or Maths candidates as a whole? (sorry for all the questions)

I'd guess as a whole but I'm not at all sure... you could always look it up on the mathematics department website and see if it says anything.
Reply 4016
Oxford offer. TSR has been helpful over the past few months. Hoping A2 exams will go well.

Good luck to all waiting for any university decisions.
Original post by dbou

Maybe they don't for STEP I? :smile: Don't know though, I've never heard of monetary rewards for it :smile:
A friend that got 120 on STEP II and 114 on STEP III didn't get anything (that was in 2007).
Original post by tiny hobbit
A friend that got 120 on STEP II and 114 on STEP III didn't get anything (that was in 2007).

120!? Holy poopsicles :P

Latest