The Student Room Group

PSYA4 27TH JAN 2012- Schizophrenia, Aggression, Research Methods

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Does anyone have any ideas as to what the 25 mark question could be for Schizophrenia? There seems to have been one from every section within past papers. I am thinking that maybe it'll be outline one or more explanations of schizophrenia? Nice and simple!!!????
Research methods, depression & addictive behavior anyone?
Past papers had Diagnosis and Classification, Explanations and therapies of Sz so.....Yeh

Can't really think of anything else? Oh! There was one about how was one treatment effective than the other? Not sure what paper though :/
Reply 83
I'm doing Schizophrenia, Addiction and Research Methods. I'm dedicating Monday all the way to Saturday (Christmas Eve) to learn this exam.

For the last 2 1/2 days I've been going over research methods solidly. I'm going to make a few predictions, although I haven't seen the Jan / Jun 2011 papers at all :<, so it might have came up already. If you have them please link them.

RESEARCH METHODS

Ethics, why do we need them? This seems like a good question to ask for 5 marks.

Samples. What is it? Why do we need to do it. Any errors with sampling (sampling bias and sampling error).

Always a statistical test, just know difference/correlation, nominal/ordinal, independent/repeated, and your there. 3 marks every time, don't get this wrong.

Know your type 1 and type 2 errors, all to do with the P < 0.05. Etc, this comes up.

I reckon they might throw something in about objectivity or paradigms. Just for a short answer.

For the bigger questions you have your writing up questions, this usually comes in the form of a consent form or a write up of a report.

Psychological reports are written in the format of TAIMRDRA. (Bad anagram I know ^^) Title, Abstract, Introduction, Method, Results, Discsusion, References, Appendices. Something simple to learn.

Schizophrenia

Big ass question that could come from anywhere, the only questions they can ask are:

Outline issues with classification and diagnosis.

Outline biological explanations of schizophrenia
Outline psychological explanations of schizophrenia
Compare biological and psychological explanations of schizophrenia

Outline and evaluate biological treatments for schizophrenia
Outline and evaluate psychological treatments for schizophrenia.
Compare two treatments for schizophrenia (Biological and Psychological)

7 in total. I actually have no idea which they will choose, because I believe every single one has probably been done. This is a problem, might they be sneaky this time round and throw in a wild exam question? I have a feeling on unease for the question, but all you can do really is learn schizophrenia like this:

Explanations, learn 4 of them. 2 are biological and 2 are psychological

Treatments, learn 4 of them. 2 are biological and 2 are psychological

Hopefully thats job done. I find schizophrenia quite a nice easy topic. I just have to learn to write this essay question correctly.

Addiction

cba with you.

I seriously doubt this is all do-able by Christmas eve. I'm retaking PSY2 also, which I've planned to do next week. But I'm behind schedule, and addiction really is a monster of a topic to learn. If anyone is really struggling with it, just found this http://psychology4a.com/addictive%201.htm Seems like an ok website.

Would really appreciate if someone found those previous papers (Jan / Jun 2011) . I have a knack for guessing them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by acedlol
I'm doing Schizophrenia, Addiction and Research Methods. I'm dedicating Monday all the way to Saturday (Christmas Eve) to learn this exam.

For the last 2 1/2 days I've been going over research methods solidly. I'm going to make a few predictions, although I haven't seen the Jan / Jun 2011 papers at all :&lt;, so it might have came up already. If you have them please link them.

RESEARCH METHODS

Ethics, why do we need them? This seems like a good question to ask for 5 marks.

Samples. What is it? Why do we need to do it. Any errors with sampling (sampling bias and sampling error).

Always a statistical test, just know difference/correlation, nominal/ordinal, independent/repeated, and your there. 3 marks every time, don't get this wrong.

Know your type 1 and type 2 errors, all to do with the P &lt; 0.05. Etc, this comes up.

I reckon they might throw something in about objectivity or paradigms. Just for a short answer.

For the bigger questions you have your writing up questions, this usually comes in the form of a consent form or a write up of a report.

Psychological reports are written in the format of TAIMRDRA. (Bad anagram I know ^^) Title, Abstract, Introduction, Method, Results, Discsusion, References, Appendices. Something simple to learn.

Schizophrenia

Big ass question that could come from anywhere, the only questions they can ask are:

7 in total. I actually have no idea which they will choose, because I believe every single one has probably been done. This is a problem, might they be sneaky this time round and throw in a wild exam question? I have a feeling on unease for the question, but all you can do really is learn schizophrenia like this:

Hopefully thats job done. I find schizophrenia quite a nice easy topic. I just have to learn to write this essay question correctly.

Addiction

cba with you.

I seriously doubt this is all do-able by Christmas eve. I'm retaking PSY2 also, which I've planned to do next week. But I'm behind schedule, and addiction really is a monster of a topic to learn. If anyone is really struggling with it, just found this http://psychology4a.com/addictive%201.htm Seems like an ok website.

Would really appreciate if someone found those previous papers (Jan / Jun 2011) . I have a knack for guessing them.

Thanks for this! I'm a little lost with psychology atm :s-smilie: and this helped :smile: btw any chance you could explain the type 1 and type 2 errors - it really confuses me! :s-smilie: :frown:
Reply 85
Original post by acedlol

For the last 2 1/2 days I've been going over research methods solidly. I'm going to make a few predictions, although I haven't seen the Jan / Jun 2011 papers at all :&lt;, so it might have came up already. If you have them please link them.

RESEARCH METHODS

Know your type 1 and type 2 errors, all to do with the P &lt; 0.05. Etc, this comes up.

Schizophrenia

Addiction

cba with you.

Nice comment :smile:

I am also doing Schizophrenia, Addictive Behaviours and Research Methods. Alongside resitting PSYA1. We are in similar situations :P

I am so unsure about what could come up in Schizophrenia too. I have a funny feeling they aren't going to ask a 25 marker, but they are going to ask a question worth 8 marks linked with a question worth 16 marks. For example

1) Outline one explanation of schizophrenia (8 marks)
2) Evaluate one possible treatment for your explanation in question 1. (16 marks)

I have a funny feeling they will do something like this as it's mixing the topic area up a bit. Lets face it, every possible essay has already come up and they cannot repeat them!?

I had addictive behaviours. I am 99% that The Theory Of Planning Behaviour will come up though. This was specified for candidates to learn in the new 2012 spec. Maybe a bit about interventions too.

I HATE research methods :-(
Specifically the statistically tests.

Eurgh. Good Luck with your revision schedule. I've been revising all week too! I am off to Switzerland for a week from Sunday onwards so I am out of revision then :frown: But will be straight back on it on the 5th! Times tight!
Original post by hhh123
Nice comment :smile:

I had addictive behaviours. I am 99% that The Theory Of Planning Behaviour will come up though. This was specified for candidates to learn in the new 2012 spec. Maybe a bit about interventions too.

Yes, Checked the specification and I'm sure it will come up for JAN 2012 exam. However I don't know if it came up on the June 2012 Paper soo... :s-smilie:

Jan 2011 Paper is on AQA website btw :wink:

25 marker was on Depression...Don't think anyone here's doing that? =/

Schizophrenia Qs on JAN11 paper :

Outline clinical characteristics of schizophrenia. (5 marks)
Outline one psychological explanation of schizophrenia. (4 marks)
Evaluate psychological explanations of schizophrenia. (16 marks)

Addictive Behaviour:

Outline and evaluate the biological model as an explanation for the maintenance of one
addictive behaviour. (4 marks + 4 marks)

‘The more young people see smoking in cinema and TV films, the more likely they are to
start smoking themselves.’
Use your knowledge of research into the role of media in addictive behaviour to explain
why such films might encourage young people to start smoking. (4 marks)

Discuss one type of intervention aimed at reducing addictive behaviour.
(5 marks + 8 marks)<<<< Ahhh Interventions! 13 Markers!! Argghhgg
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 87
Can someone please go through Type 1 and Type 2 errors in Research Methods please -_-
Just come across it in a past paper and never heard of it.
Reply 88
Original post by Brap4k22DivideBy2
Yes, Checked the specification and I'm sure it will come up for JAN 2012 exam. However I don't know if it came up on the June 2012 Paper soo... :s-smilie:

Jan 2011 Paper is on AQA website btw :wink:

25 marker was on Depression...Don't think anyone here's doing that? =/

Schizophrenia Qs on JAN11 paper :

Outline clinical characteristics of schizophrenia. (5 marks)
Outline one psychological explanation of schizophrenia. (4 marks)
Evaluate psychological explanations of schizophrenia. (16 marks)

Addictive Behaviour:

Outline and evaluate the biological model as an explanation for the maintenance of one
addictive behaviour. (4 marks + 4 marks)

‘The more young people see smoking in cinema and TV films, the more likely they are to
start smoking themselves.’
Use your knowledge of research into the role of media in addictive behaviour to explain
why such films might encourage young people to start smoking. (4 marks)

Discuss one type of intervention aimed at reducing addictive behaviour.
(5 marks + 8 marks)&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; Ahhh Interventions! 13 Markers!! Argghhgg

Well considering interventions came up last year it's very unlikely that it'll come up again :biggrin: : D :biggrin:
Reply 89
Erghh, struggling on how to write a psychological report.

Can someone direct me to a sample one/tell me how to do it lol! :biggrin:
Reply 90
Research Methods + Schizophrenia done, will try to finish addiction in a day or two. But this is my PSYA2 week as well, so I'm behind schedule. Doesn't help being ill.
Reply 91
Starting to panic, need this week to do PSYA2 notes (haven't learnt anything since last year), and still stuck on addiction. Might pull an all-nighter.
PSYA2 is on Jan 17th I think.....So You have at least 3 weeks! :smile:

I'm doing PSYA4 and PSYA2 so...Yeh. Schizophrenia is easy and a bit of research methods too. Hate addiction however. PsyA2 going well, learning stress, social influence stuff and individual differences. Lots of notes still left to do! :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by Brap4k22DivideBy2
PSYA2 is on Jan 17th I think.....So You have at least 3 weeks! :smile:

I'm doing PSYA4 and PSYA2 so...Yeh. Schizophrenia is easy and a bit of research methods too. Hate addiction however. PsyA2 going well, learning stress, social influence stuff and individual differences. Lots of notes still left to do! :smile:

How are you finding learning PSYA2 again? I can get the notes done easily, but learning it is another thing entirely, I also have other exams (2 maths), around the Psychology ones, so I only have 3 days to dedicate to it, to properly learn it.

On the other-hand, I only spent 3 days learning PSYA1, notes, questions and all and still got a C. I've scheduled at least 9 days for each exam, so that should be enough to get me the As.
PSYA2....Yeh it's all coming back to me :smile: Just have to read my thick log of notes at least 3-4 times a day and hopefully sorted. Gonno do same with PSYA4 when I've finished them. :biggrin:

I'm hoping for an A is Psychology......Fingers crossed :smile:
Reply 95
I'm doing Media, Depression and Research Methods..

I haven't fully started revising yet, should I be worried? :/

I haven't a clue about Research Methods! :confused:
Reply 96
Original post by cmoore094
I'm doing Media, Depression and Research Methods..

I haven't fully started revising yet, should I be worried? :/

I haven't a clue about Research Methods! :confused:

No, but I would give yourself at least a week to revise.

But for addiction, I am really confused now.

So we have 3 learning models, biological, cognitive, learning (behavioural).
They all have different explanations for initiation, maintenance, and relapse.

So what is specific addictions like smoking?

Is that just applying one of those 3 explanations to it?
Is it applying the bits that best fit, so operant, biological etc.

Or is it to do with the addiction itself, such a nicotine?

I'm terribly confused :confused::confused::confused::confused:
You will get questions like this.

Jan 2011 PSYA4

addictive behaviour (4+4marks)

I just hate Qs like these.. But maintenance is ok :smile:
Can someone please explain to me 'The application of scientific method in psychology'? :smile:
Reply 99
I have a week today to revise for my mock?! I barely know anything and need a b. I am planning on

1. going through the textbook and making notes on all 3 sections (ocd, anomalistic and research methods)

2. going through classnotes and making more notes

3. write a set of notes including both and concisely

Good plan or?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending