The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6560
Original post by CloClo7
Has anyone got any decent AQA A2/AS Economics resources?

My teacher is awful, I don't know how I passed ECON 1, and I'm now effectively self teaching the other three units.

Please, please if you have anything then either post links or PM me for my email...I wouldn't be asking if I really wasn't desperate.

Any essay examples would be great...I write them (extra, we never ever get homework) and if I ever do get them back then marking is a little sparse :s-smilie:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revision-Guide-A2-Level-Economics/dp/1905504322/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324584085&sr=8-1

There is also an AS level equivalent

http://tutor2u.net/ is also good
Reply 6561
Original post by jamiepango
Yet to visit Bristol, but I really like Bath at the open day. I would choose Bath over Bristol; however if Bath were to give me an offer it would be A*AA whereas Bristol have offered me AA. Ideally if I were lucky enough to get an offer from any of my other three universities, then I would happily put Bristol as my insurance.

I don't think I would be brave enough to have an A*AA insurance :colondollar:

Really surprised at this!

I really didn't like Bath or Warwick, and that's the main reason I didn't apply to them in the end - I thought they were too isolated, and the places felt really 60s to me.

Each to their own I guess - both Bristol and Bath are awesome unis academically!
Reply 6562
Original post by FDR

I really didn't like Bath or Warwick, and that's the main reason I didn't apply to them in the end - I thought they were too isolated, and the places felt really 60s to me.

Each to their own I guess - both Bristol and Bath are awesome unis academically!

Where did you apply? :smile:
Original post by buttercup94
Thank-you, so happy :smile: Have either of you two applied to/heard from Nottingham or Warwick??

Applied to Warwick, haven't heard anything.

Original post by FDR

You said it yourself :smile:

Hmm I guess I prefer those kind of places, haven't visited Warwick yet...

What universities have you applied to?
Reply 6564
Original post by Tateco
Where did you apply? :smile:

In the end, I went for Durham, Nottingham, York, St Andrews (not sure I really want to go there though...) and Royal Holloway.

Only heard from York and RHUL so far...
Reply 6565
Original post by FDR
In the end, I went for Durham, Nottingham, York, St Andrews (not sure I really want to go there though...) and Royal Holloway.

You visited Nottingham? How would you compare that to Warwick and Bath?
Is the quality of teaching at LSE good? I heard from friends that it was hyped up. Ofc if I had an offer I would go there regardless... :rolleyes:
Reply 6567
Original post by Tateco
You visited Nottingham? How would you compare that to Warwick and Bath?

I've been to Nottingham - It's location is probably quite similar to Bath and Warwick in that it's not near the city centre (like Bath isn't actually in Bath, but on a hill outside, and Warwick is a bit isolated) and you need to take a bus realistically to get anywhere.

I really liked the campus itself though - I only went to the University Park campus (where the economics department is) and it is huge (I believe someone said 330 acres), also all the university buildings are spread out, unlike Bath where you can pretty much walk end to end in fifteen minutes. I'd say the facilities are the same at all, although at Nottingham (unlike in Warwick) you can choose to go to catered halls. Also the buldings themselves are impressive, especially the Trent building, which must look awesome lit up at night, also a few old 'ivy covered' buildings, which was quite cool.
Reply 6568
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Is the quality of teaching at LSE good? I heard from friends that it was hyped up. Ofc if I had an offer I would go there regardless... :rolleyes:

I heard that too, not that it makes it true.
Reply 6569

I have a friend who is a first year there at the moment. Obviously as he hasn't been to other universities he can't compare what teaching standards are like, but he is really enjoying the experience, but says considering the amount of work he gets, he doesn't get enough time with tutors.
Reply 6570
Original post by FDR
I've been to Nottingham - It's location is probably quite similar to Bath and Warwick in that it's not near the city centre (like Bath isn't actually in Bath, but on a hill outside, and Warwick is a bit isolated) and you need to take a bus realistically to get anywhere.

I really liked the campus itself though - I only went to the University Park campus (where the economics department is) and it is huge (I believe someone said 330 acres), also all the university buildings are spread out, unlike Bath where you can pretty much walk end to end in fifteen minutes. I'd say the facilities are the same at all, although at Nottingham (unlike in Warwick) you can choose to go to catered halls. Also the buldings themselves are impressive, especially the Trent building, which must look awesome lit up at night, also a few old 'ivy covered' buildings, which was quite cool.

I've been to Nottingham but not the other two so that's why I was interested. I actually didn't like how Nottingham was so spread out, would be a bit of a pain having to walk across it if it was a long way. What's the architecture like in Bath?
Reply 6571
Original post by Tateco
I've been to Nottingham but not the other two so that's why I was interested. I actually didn't like how Nottingham was so spread out, would be a bit of a pain having to walk across it if it was a long way. What's the architecture like in Bath?

Bath is compact, and logistically, is awesome - the library is the centerpiece of the university, and all the buildings are named based on how far away from the library they are and what direction they are in for example you might have a tutorial in East 2 and West 9(I can't remember what the numbers signify precisely- minutes to the library O think). Unlike Bath city, the university is all 60s and 70s buildings (so all concrete and glass) - very well maintained though, and they have added a lot of greenery to brighten things up. But yeah, a lot of glass and concrete.
Original post by FDR
I have a friend who is a first year there at the moment. Obviously as he hasn't been to other universities he can't compare what teaching standards are like, but he is really enjoying the experience, but says considering the amount of work he gets, he doesn't get enough time with tutors.

Thanks for the info :smile: Not sure if the bit in bold correlates to shoddy teaching though, I'll just re-ask what they meant
Reply 6573
Original post by FDR
Bath is compact, and logistically, is awesome - the library is the centerpiece of the university, and all the buildings are named based on how far away from the library they are and what direction they are in for example you might have a tutorial in East 2 and West 9(I can't remember what the numbers signify precisely- minutes to the library O think). Unlike Bath city, the university is all 60s and 70s buildings (so all concrete and glass) - very well maintained though, and they have added a lot of greenery to brighten things up. But yeah, a lot of glass and concrete.

Sounds pretty good to me, very efficient anyway!
Thanks for the info :smile: Not sure if the bit in bold correlates to shoddy teaching though, I'll just re-ask what they meant

I read on the LSE forum a couple of days ago that the classes are kind of useless because the teachers don't really bother to teach them properly. Also they are given so much to read which they cannot really finish on time. This was for Government though and not for Economics and I don't know whether it's true :smile: But I suppose you'll find bad professors/lecturers/teachers at every university. Just because LSE is amazing it doesn't mean that all the tutors are amazing as well.

I'd die for an offer :tongue:
Original post by FDR

RHUL was a waste of a choice.
Reply 6576
Original post by mathshelpplz
RHUL was a waste of a choice.

why is that? I quite liked the university, and would be happy to study there, so put it down, and got an offer, so it wasn't a complete waste.

Some people go all out for five A*AA unis, and that's fine. I did consider that option, however I thought that there is always the possibility that something might go wrong, and I could come out with ABB, so I wanted to be prepared.

If I come out in August with straight A*s, and don't get Nottingham or Durham offers, then I might consider taking a year out and re-applying to Oxford or Cambridge as well as Notts and Durham again, but otherwise I don't have many regrets regarding my choices, even with St Andrews, which I haven't been able to visit yet and might love.
Original post by FDR
why is that? I quite liked the university, and would be happy to study there, so put it down, and got an offer, so it wasn't a complete waste.

Some people go all out for five A*AA unis, and that's fine. I did consider that option, however I thought that there is always the possibility that something might go wrong, and I could come out with ABB, so I wanted to be prepared.

If I come out in August with straight A*s, and don't get Nottingham or Durham offers, then I might consider taking a year out and re-applying to Oxford or Cambridge as well as Notts and Durham again, but otherwise I don't have many regrets regarding my choices, even with St Andrews, which I haven't been able to visit yet and might love.

Its was in clearing last year and the year before I believe. Southampton/York/Birmingham would’ve been a better choice but I guess University choices are bound to come down to personal preference
what does everyone think about economics at SOAS?
All this negativity for LSE :lol:

I highly doubt they're teaching 'outdated' things, especially since they're one of the world leading social sciences institutions. The one truth however, is the lack of contact time. That's the main complain I've been hearing. You get 50 mins plus an hour or two of lectures per week per course. You do four courses, so in a week, between 7hrs 20mins and 11hrs and 20 mins of contact time.

Latest

Trending

Trending