The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone who has done Further Pure 1 can you tell me if you need to know any of the proofs for the exam?
Reply 4021
Original post by hassi94
Maybe they don't for STEP I? :smile: Don't know though, I've never heard of monetary rewards for it :smile:

AFAIK, I think it is only if you apply for MORSE at Warwick; step is optional, but you get some money if you score a 1 or higher. (I might be wrong).
Original post by BeccaCath94
Anyone who has done Further Pure 1 can you tell me if you need to know any of the proofs for the exam?

if your with edexcel then theres a whole chapter on proof by induction, so yes you do need to know proofs
Is the University of Manchester respected?
Original post by twig
Oxford offer. TSR has been helpful over the past few months. Hoping A2 exams will go well.

Good luck to all waiting for any university decisions.

Well done! :biggrin:
Original post by like_a_star
if your with edexcel then theres a whole chapter on proof by induction, so yes you do need to know proofs

I am with edexcel....oh yeah haha!
But they arent the sorts of proofs i meant...it was more those like prove these two are the same length, newton raphson proof etc...?

But they arent the sorts of proofs i meant...it was more those like prove these two are the same length, newton raphson proof etc...?

I've seen something asking for a proof that |z1||z2| = |z1z2| but I'm not sure it was in a paper.

On an unrelated note, I just redid the May S2 paper and managed to do a hell of a lot better.
Original post by Edwin Okli
I've seen something asking for a proof that |z1||z2| = |z1z2| but I'm not sure it was in a paper.

On an unrelated note, I just redid the May S2 paper and managed to do a hell of a lot better.

Oh the joys....ok thank you :smile: hehe

Woo! Well done :biggrin:
I just heard of the UKMT, and might do it at AS. I have a few questions about it:

1. Do a high proportion of Maths applicants apply to Uni with it?
2. Is it hard? (concepts etc)
3. Who teaches it you, do you have to self teach?
4. Do a lot of people take it, would it help me a lot?
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
I just heard of the UKMT, and might do it at AS. I have a few questions about it:

1. Do a high proportion of Maths applicants apply to Uni with it?
2. Is it hard? (concepts etc)
3. Who teaches it you, do you have to self teach?
4. Do a lot of people take it, would it help me a lot?

LOL. No you misunderstood. It's a competition not a course. It's concepts are basic, at GCSE level initially. You don't learn for it, you can prepare by past papers but you'll just sit the test without being taught anything, you should know all you need to. If you do well some universities such a Bristol will certainly favour it, it won't help a lot, but there's no harm it sitting it. ^_^
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
LOL. No you misunderstood. It's a competition not a course. It's concepts are basic, at GCSE level initially. You don't learn for it, you can prepare by past papers but you'll just sit the test without being taught anything, you should know all you need to. If you do well some universities such a Bristol will certainly favour it, it won't help a lot, but there's no harm it sitting it. ^_^

Hey, you never replied to my PM, lol....

oh right sorry :P erm i dont think so but just look through all the past papers to make sure
Original post by like_a_star
oh right sorry :P erm i dont think so but just look through all the past papers to make sure

Sorry I never made it clear.
Ok thank you :smile:
Is the University of Manchester respected?

Yes. One of the best universities for graduate employment, the second biggest university in the country I believe (beaten only by it's younger brother). Supposed to be quite good for maths. It obviously depends on your aims and ability. I know you're in Year 11 but have you started AS Maths (I know a fair few private & grammar schools do this).
Original post by hassi94
Yes. One of the best universities for graduate employment, the second biggest university in the country I believe (beaten only by it's younger brother). Supposed to be quite good for maths. It obviously depends on your aims and ability. I know you're in Year 11 but have you started AS Maths (I know a fair few private & grammar schools do this).

I don't go to a private or Grammar school so I wasn't given the chance, however, I'm self teaching it for the fun, as I like Maths so much. Do you think I could include that in my Personal Statement, because my form teacher put it on my College reference form. Why do you ask?
Original post by hassi94

my school is a state school and they got quite a few kids doin Maths AS in year 11 :tongue: Ive even heard of a kid doing a level maths and further maths in year 11 :eek:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rahul.S
my school is a state school and they got quite a few kids goin Maths AS in year 11 :tongue: Ive even heard of a kid doing a level maths and further maths in year 11 :eek:

Yeah I know it does happen in some state schools but from what I've seen they don't for a majority :smile: I'm from up-north, do you realise how much people seem to despise maths up here? :wink:

I don't go to a private or Grammar school so I wasn't given the chance, however, I'm self teaching it for the fun, as I like Maths so much. Do you think I could include that in my Personal Statement, because my form teacher put it on my College reference form. Why do you ask?

Okay cool that's good. I wouldn't bother putting it on your personal statement, but do get your referee to put it on your UCAS reference when the time comes (long way away yet :wink:). I ask so I can ask this follow up question; what do you feel you are able to get in maths? Is it an easy 95-100% for AS Maths with a relatively easy A* for A2? If so I think you probably needn't bother apply to manchester unless you wanted a backup :smile:
Original post by Rahul.S
my school is a state school and they got quite a few kids doin Maths AS in year 11 :tongue: Ive even heard of a kid doing a level maths and further maths in year 11 :eek:

At my state school - all-be-it a well respected one - you sit maths GCSE in year 10 then in year 11 you either resit, do GCSE stats or FSMQ which is basically C1 and C2!!

There is one boy however currently in year 9 who will be sitting C3 and C4 in Jan and by the summer will have completed A level maths and do further maths a level during his GCSE years.....crazy!!
Original post by hassi94
Yeah I know it does happen in some state schools but from what I've seen they don't for a majority :smile: I'm from up-north, do you realise how much people seem to despise maths up here? :wink:

Okay cool that's good. I wouldn't bother putting it on your personal statement, but do get your referee to put it on your UCAS reference when the time comes (long way away yet :wink:). I ask so I can ask this follow up question; what do you feel you are able to get in maths? Is it an easy 95-100% for AS Maths with a relatively easy A* for A2? If so I think you probably needn't bother apply to manchester unless you wanted a backup :smile:

I will aim for an A* in Maths but with a lot of hard work, I dont think it will as easy as people make out on TSR. I like the look of Manchester, and i live quite close. I am also looking at KCL, Birmingham, Warwick (maybe because of STEP) and UCL (Long shot)? Somebody told me I should apply to Imperial, UCL, Cambridge, Bham and Manchester, but I think they're too ambitious..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4039
Congrats to all the Oxford people. It seems as if most regular posters on here got in.

Latest