The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hassi94
Yeah I know it does happen in some state schools but from what I've seen they don't for a majority :smile: I'm from up-north, do you realise how much people seem to despise maths up here? :wink:

I'm from an up north state school and love maths!!! Why does everyone despise it up here? :frown:
Reply 4041
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
I will aim for an A* in Maths but with a lot of hard work, I dont think it will as easy as people make out on TSR. I like the look of Manchester, and i live quite close. I am also looking at KCL, Birmingham, Warwick (maybe because of STEP) and UCL (Long shot)? Somebody told me I should apply to Imperial, UCL, Cambridge, Bham and Manchester, but I think they're too ambitious..

If you get predicted A*A* in maths and further maths UCL will give you an offer (that's what the admissions tutor told us at an open day). Also they check the legitimacy of the prediction by asking for your ums in maths. (just some info for you)
I will aim for an A* in Maths but with a lot of hard work, I dont think it will as easy as people make out on TSR. I like the look of Manchester, and i live quite close. I am also looking at KCL, Birmingham, Warwick (maybe because of STEP) and UCL (Long shot)? Somebody told me I should apply to Imperial, UCL, Cambridge, Bham and Manchester, but I think they're too ambitious..

How can you know whether these places are "too ambitious" for you without holding any sort of qualifications yet? Remember, you're in complete control of what grades you are to achieve as you haven't sat the exams yet so don't discount these places just because they have a big name. Aim for 100% and chances are you won't fall too far short if you're interested enough in the subject.

Also, there's plenty of time to do a lot more research before choosing your Universities so don't fret about that just yet either. Worry about getting better at maths.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zuzuzu
Congrats to all the Oxford people. It seems as if most regular posters on here got in.

Proof that

T=kUST = kU_S

where TT = time spent on TSR and USU_S is University Success. Who knows what k is. Some sort of other-worldly constant.
(edited 12 years ago)

Okay. There's not much to go off now - see how you do, if you find it easier than you at first think and get predicted A*A* in the maths a-levels then none of those below unis are out of reach :smile:
Original post by hassi94
Okay. There's not much to go off now - see how you do, if you find it easier than you at first think and get predicted A*A* in the maths a-levels then none of those below unis are out of reach :smile:

Where are you applying, and what did you get in GCSEs in A-levels?
Original post by BeccaCath94
I'm from an up north state school and love maths!!! Why does everyone despise it up here? :frown:

I'm probably talking rubbish tbh haha. Just from personal experience noone seems to like it and schools don't seem to promote it compared to social sciences or even natural sciences excluding maths. -Basically everything but maths haha :frown:
Reply 4047
Original post by hassi94
Proof that

T=kUST = kU_S

where TT = time spent on TSR and USU_S is University Success. Who knows what k is. Some sort of other-worldly constant.

k > 0, naturally.
Where are you applying, and what did you get in GCSEs in A-levels?

All in my signature :smile:

"GCSEs: 6 A*'s and 5 A's (2 A's were half GCSEs)
AS-Levels: 6As in Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths, Further Maths and General Studies (yeah I'm gonna count it )
A-Level Predictions: 3A*s in Maths, Further Maths and Physics."

"Mathematics (4 year MMath):
University of Cambridge - Interview 05/12/2011
University of Warwick - Conditional A*AA1/A*A*A2
University College London - Conditional A*AA
London School of Economics
University of Bath - Conditional A*AA"
Original post by hassi94
Proof that

T=kUST = kU_S

k>>TREE(3)k>>TREE(3)
Original post by Zuzuzu
k > 0, naturally.

Sorry, of course. I don't know if 'naturally' was some terrible maths pun or by accident but made me laugh haha.
Original post by hassi94
All in my signature :smile:

"GCSEs: 6 A*'s and 5 A's (2 A's were half GCSEs)
AS-Levels: 6As in Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths, Further Maths and General Studies (yeah I'm gonna count it )
A-Level Predictions: 3A*s in Maths, Further Maths and Physics."

"Mathematics (4 year MMath):
University of Cambridge - Interview 05/12/2011
University of Warwick - Conditional A*AA1/A*A*A2
University College London - Conditional A*AA
London School of Economics
University of Bath - Conditional A*AA"

Thats good, why have you applied to all really good unis, aren't you supposed to have at least one back up option?
Thats good, why have you applied to all really good unis, aren't you supposed to have at least one back up option?

I'm a dangerous man.

No but seriously I just picked universities I'd be happy going to. I know I'm very much capable of getting at A*s in maths and further maths, and so I wouldn't be happy going to a university requiring much less than that and not fully pushing myself as much as possible. So I disregarded entry requirements and just found 5 universities I'd go to without feeling upset that I didn't get into the others. I can't say much more without sounding cocky but I know I'm going to get the grades to get in unless something went awfully wrong, and was confident enough in my application that I'd get some offers (I was told with my UMS I'd definitely get an offer from UCL and Warwick give out offers to just about anybody).
Original post by hassi94
I'm a dangerous man.

No but seriously I just picked universities I'd be happy going to. I know I'm very much capable of getting at A*s in maths and further maths, and so I wouldn't be happy going to a university requiring much less than that and not fully pushing myself as much as possible. So I disregarded entry requirements and just found 5 universities I'd go to without feeling upset that I didn't get into the others. I can't say much more without sounding cocky but I know I'm going to get the grades to get in unless something went awfully wrong, and was confident enough in my application that I'd get some offers (I was told with my UMS I'd definitely get an offer from UCL and Warwick give out offers to just about anybody).

UCL give out easy offers? Do they require STEP? What stuff have you put on your PS?
UCL give out easy offers? Do they require STEP? What stuff have you put on your PS?

Supposedly if you have over 93ish% UMS in Maths/Further Maths you're almost guaranteed an offer.

They do not require STEP or A*s in Further Maths, but as the admissions tutor told me they will only give offers to people who are set to get A*s in Further Maths.

And don't really know. Just expressed a keen interest in maths, why I enjoy it, things I particularly enjoy about it, how I have shown my interest etc. Though my reference was probably as good as a reference can get :tongue:
Reply 4055
Original post by ben-smith
Well done! :biggrin:

Thanks man :smile:. Hopefully A2s will go well.
Original post by hassi94
Supposedly if you have over 93ish% UMS in Maths/Further Maths you're almost guaranteed an offer.

They do not require STEP or A*s in Further Maths, but as the admissions tutor told me they will only give offers to people who are set to get A*s in Further Maths.

And don't really know. Just expressed a keen interest in maths, why I enjoy it, things I particularly enjoy about it, how I have shown my interest etc. Though my reference was probably as good as a reference can get :tongue:

Ah ok, good luck woth University!

Hey, you never replied to my PM, lol....

You're very keen, already looking at universities. Good luck to you. :smile:
Original post by Edwin Okli
You're very keen, already looking at universities. Good luck to you. :smile:

Thanks, good luck with University. PM how you find it next year :colondollar:
Reply 4059
Original post by hassi94

Aye. I only know one person who didn't get an A* in FM (and I'd estimate about 75% have 3 or more A*s going off a show of hands in the first lecture).

edit: maybe 60 would be a better estimate, actually.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest