The Student Room Group

Tesco graduate programme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Rivvykla, I would ignore this person on about the swapping clothes etc. I am on the scheme for this year and it was nothing like that. As for your phone interview. You need to know about all Tesco's involvements in the UK and overseas and any recent areas of growth. Know roughly about their financials and market share. They will ask you who you think their main competitors are (quite a few). Also I think i got asked what the 5 main strengths of Tescos were, quite hard as I didnt see that one coming. Possibly if they ask you about challenges you could talk about the new pricing wars and how much admin it takes to ensure correct prices and dealing with mishaps like that big ASDA/tesco double the difference scheme that backfired.

Thats all i can remember. Hope this helps and good luck!
Reply 41
Original post by Khaz45
Rivvylka, I would ignore this person on about the swapping clothes etc. I am on the scheme for this year and it was nothing like that. As for your phone interview. You need to know about all Tesco's involvements in the UK and overseas and any recent areas of growth. Know roughly about their financials and market share. They will ask you who you think their main competitors are (quite a few). Also I think i got asked what the 5 main strengths of Tescos were, quite hard as I didnt see that one coming. Possibly if they ask you about challenges you could talk about the new pricing wars and how much admin it takes to ensure correct prices and dealing with mishaps like that big ASDA/tesco double the difference scheme that backfired.

Thats all i can remember. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you so much! :-) Are you on the tesco.com scheme or which one? I thought they might ask those questions, thank you!!! If you can think of anything else message me :-)
Reply 42
Original post by Rivvylka
Thank you so much! :-) Are you on the tesco.com scheme or which one? I thought they might ask those questions, thank you!!! If you can think of anything else message me :-)

Hey, How did your interview for the tesco.com scheme go? Have you heard anything from them. I also applied for the tesco.com scheme but I am yet to hear anything from them. How long did it take them to get back to you after you submitted your application?

Any help will be appreciated
Reply 43
Original post by goldbeauty
Hey, How did your interview for the tesco.com scheme go? Have you heard anything from them. I also applied for the tesco.com scheme but I am yet to hear anything from them. How long did it take them to get back to you after you submitted your application?

Any help will be appreciated

Hello, sorry I havent noticed you posted :frown: My interview went really well she told me straightaway that I passed but it took them over 2 weeks to let me know about the online tests which I passed as well. It took so long because I am not from the UK and there are problems with determining whether I pass the 2:1 requirement. Situation is now the programme starts tomorrow - so basically they are putting me and another guy I know of (and maybe you too) up for the next year intake recruitment - we still have to do the AC though:-). Where are you in the process now? Need any help with anything? xx
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Hello, sorry I havent noticed you posted :frown: My interview went really well she told me straightaway that I passed but it took them over 2 weeks to let me know about the online tests which I passed as well. It took so long because I am not from the UK and there are problems with determining whether I pass the 2:1 requirement. Situation is now the programme starts tomorrow - so basically they are putting me and another guy I know of (and maybe you too) up for the next year intake recruitment - we still have to do the AC though:-). Where are you in the process now? Need any help with anything? xx

That's fine, I understand how hard it is to keep up with these forums. Well done for getting this far. Well, I pretty much got the same response saying that they would be putting me up for the next year intake recruitment. I wonder how many people got that message. And although, I really really really want to work for tesco.com, I am not sure I will be able to wait till 2012 as I graduated this year and need to get into the job market. Added to that I am currently waiting for Pwc to give me an assessment day, if I am successful with them, then I shall be withdrawing my offer with tesco as I really do think they are both great companies to work for and start a career with. Good luck with tesco.com though.
Reply 45
That's fine, I understand how hard it is to keep up with these forums. Well done for getting this far. Well, I pretty much got the same response saying that they would be putting me up for the next year intake recruitment. I wonder how many people got that message. And although, I really really really want to work for tesco.com, I am not sure I will be able to wait till 2012 as I graduated this year and need to get into the job market. Added to that I am currently waiting for Pwc to give me an assessment day, if I am successful with them, then I shall be withdrawing my offer with tesco as I really do think they are both great companies to work for and start a career with. Good luck with tesco.com though.

I was in the same situation - except with KPMG - and I received an offer from them for 2011 intake this week so will be going there:smile: how did your AC go? X
Reply 46

Hello I have also applied for the tesco .COM role.. Ive passed the initial application stage, and passed the phone interview, now i have to do the online tests- which are my weakest area.... ive been told its numerical and verbal reasoning tests... are the tests hard? How do they compare to other companies, and are there any of those aweful shape questions?

Thanks!
Reply 47
I was in the same situation - except with KPMG - and I received an offer from them for 2011 intake this week so will be going there:smile: how did your AC go? X

hello ive also applied to tesco.com role, passed app stage, and passed phone interview...got an invite to do the online tests now though whic are my weakest area... how did you find them? are they harder/easier than other companies? is the pass mark quite high etc.. and please tell me there arent any of those aweful shape questions? :frown:

Hey, I don't suppose anyone has been invited to the Tesco Assessment Centre on 9th December?
Reply 49

Hi Rivvylka,

Congratulations on passing the interview. I'm also scheduled to have a tesco.com interviiew next weekl. I'll be happy if you could please tell me the questions you were asked.
thanks
Reply 50
Original post by anandv05

hello ive also applied to tesco.com role, passed app stage, and passed phone interview...got an invite to do the online tests now though whic are my weakest area... how did you find them? are they harder/easier than other companies? is the pass mark quite high etc.. and please tell me there arent any of those aweful shape questions? :frown:

Hi anand. could you pls help with the telephone interview questions? thanks
Reply 51
Original post by superluke2k8

but ultimately, once you've had a management job in Tesco, anything else in retail going forward is going to be easy to get, and theres also management skills, which if you dont have before you start(I didn't) you gain, and quckly.

You've certainly picked up the management jargon :wink:
Reply 52
Anybody else on the assessment day on the 11/12th January?
Reply 53
Original post by uju
Hi anand. could you pls help with the telephone interview questions? thanks

sorry for the late reply!

probs too late, but do u still need the q's I have them all typed up. #

if you already had it.. how did it go?

I've had a very negative experience with tesco at the actual interview! (and so have a few of my friends)
sorry for the late reply!

probs too late, but do u still need the q's I have them all typed up. #

if you already had it.. how did it go?

I've had a very negative experience with tesco at the actual interview! (and so have a few of my friends)

May I ask what happened?
Reply 55
Original post by Solitaire617
May I ask what happened?

yeah sure lol, basically went in was greeted by a rude receptionist.. I said "Hi, I've got an interview at such and such a time" (on the email I received it didn't say my interviewers name)

The receptionist then said ok, who with, and I explained I haven't been told, all I know is that its for tesco.com. The reception had a right chip on his shoulder and just grunted saying huh that's helpful! Well yeah I accept that, but I can't make up a name out of thin air can I.

The interview started late- no apology

thirdly, when i was being interviewed it seemed as though the lady just didnt gave a damn, She'd ask a question, id just about finish a couple of words BAM onto the next question

This is the worst part............... At the any questions for me stage in the interview, I simply asked "If somebody has their assessment centre before me is their the chance that this vacancy could be filled before i get to that stage as it has happened to me in the past"................. SHE SHOUTED "EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THAT IT IS POSSIBLE!" I felt like a little kid who had just been caught stealing lol!

finally, after the interview was over... I got the opportunity to talk to a current graduate.... I was told she would just go and get him, I was left waiting for a good 15/20 minutes, I genuinely thought she had forgotten

RANT OVER!

But on the positive side, Tesco does seem like a nice environment to work in, maybe I was just unlucky, the location is really good, and all the employees seemed to be working nicely in teams
Anyone applied for Corporate Affairs? Been sent some tests to do but it doesn't say what sort of tests they are! I assume it's verbal/numerical?
yeah sure lol, basically went in was greeted by a rude receptionist.. I said "Hi, I've got an interview at such and such a time" (on the email I received it didn't say my interviewers name)

The receptionist then said ok, who with, and I explained I haven't been told, all I know is that its for tesco.com. The reception had a right chip on his shoulder and just grunted saying huh that's helpful! Well yeah I accept that, but I can't make up a name out of thin air can I.

The interview started late- no apology

thirdly, when i was being interviewed it seemed as though the lady just didnt gave a damn, She'd ask a question, id just about finish a couple of words BAM onto the next question

This is the worst part............... At the any questions for me stage in the interview, I simply asked "If somebody has their assessment centre before me is their the chance that this vacancy could be filled before i get to that stage as it has happened to me in the past"................. SHE SHOUTED "EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THAT IT IS POSSIBLE!" I felt like a little kid who had just been caught stealing lol!

finally, after the interview was over... I got the opportunity to talk to a current graduate.... I was told she would just go and get him, I was left waiting for a good 15/20 minutes, I genuinely thought she had forgotten

RANT OVER!

But on the positive side, Tesco does seem like a nice environment to work in, maybe I was just unlucky, the location is really good, and all the employees seemed to be working nicely in teams

Cheers for that. Hopefully it was just a one off, that seems very odd to me!

Has anyone made it through to the work sample?
Reply 58
I applied a long time ago for HR but havnt heard back....have people heard back yet?
I applied to the corporate affairs role and was invited to do the tests yesterday. They said the interviews are in Hertfordshire on the 18th-19th Jan. Does anybody know what the chances of going from interview to job is? What are the other intermediary stages?

And where are you based with corporate affairs?

Thank you very much!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending