The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jez RR
Is the date you are trying to book on a Sunday? Last Sunday there were engineering works and a detour via Newbury Park and Ingatestone. It's never a good day to take the train.

If it isn't then I have a problem, as I am supposed to be travelling to Norwich tomorrow by train.

Aha. So it was. The gig's on a Sunday, so I don't have much choice in the matter unfortunately. I've checked other days and it seems to be fine, so I'll just have to deal with the changes. At least the journey back on the Monday morning won't be so hard - navigating across London on very few hours sleep is hard enough as it is!
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 181
Original post by pigwigeon
Aha. So it was. The gig's on a Sunday, so I don't have much choice in the matter unfortunately. I've checked other days and it seems to be fine, so I'll just have to deal with the changes. At least the journey back on the Monday morning won't be so hard - navigating across London on very few hours sleep is hard enough as it is!

Getting between Norwich and London on the weekend, particularly a Sunday, is always a nightmare. It's just one of those things :rolleyes:
Original post by BethanW
Getting between Norwich and London on the weekend, particularly a Sunday, is always a nightmare. It's just one of those things :rolleyes:

Aaaargh I know. And to get home I have to go to Paddington station, which means trekking it across various tube lines from Liverpool Street. I did a similar trip at the end of the first term last year after another gig I'd booked months in advance (to see Frank Turner, who's causing me all these problems this time... it's a good job I love him) on a Sunday night before a 1pm Monday exam. I was going to drive back up to Norwich on the Monday morning but my car wouldn't start and I had to make a mad dash across London in order to get there in time. It just so happened that every single underground train I got on chose that exact moment to break down/stop for 10 minutes/not turn up. I ended up getting to Norwich and having 15 minutes to get to my exam from the station. I don't think I've ever been so thankful of taxi drivers. I ran from the taxi to my exam. I looked an absolute treat (and ended up getting a first, haha).
Reply 183
Original post by pigwigeon
Aaaargh I know. And to get home I have to go to Paddington station, which means trekking it across various tube lines from Liverpool Street. I did a similar trip at the end of the first term last year after another gig I'd booked months in advance (to see Frank Turner, who's causing me all these problems this time... it's a good job I love him) on a Sunday night before a 1pm Monday exam. I was going to drive back up to Norwich on the Monday morning but my car wouldn't start and I had to make a mad dash across London in order to get there in time. It just so happened that every single underground train I got on chose that exact moment to break down/stop for 10 minutes/not turn up. I ended up getting to Norwich and having 15 minutes to get to my exam from the station. I don't think I've ever been so thankful of taxi drivers. I ran from the taxi to my exam. I looked an absolute treat (and ended up getting a first, haha).

Ah, I have to do the Liverpool St > Paddington journey as well, I feel your pain!
I'm Liverpool to Waterloo, which I assume is not so bad :p: Especially since I go during the day so I avoid rush hour :colone:
Reply 185
I think the worst is Kings Cross 'cause the station is TINY whilst they're refurbing it and the tube station is massive - it can take up to 15 minutes to walk from the tube to the concourse, which is a real pain if you're running late!
Reply 186
Hello :smile:

Please could someone tell me how much a single bus ticket costs to get from the norwich rail station to the uni? And also, how much is a return ticket??

Is it possible to walk from the station to uni and, if so, how long would that take? :smile:
Thanks for any replies!!
Original post by JClay

Original post by JClay

Please could someone tell me how much a single bus ticket costs to get from the norwich rail station to the uni? And also, how much is a return ticket??

Is it possible to walk from the station to uni and, if so, how long would that take? :smile:
Thanks for any replies!!

Single is £2.something I think, and return is £3.90

Definitely not walkable, especially if you have bags. Would take a good couple of hours at least I reckon.
Original post by JClay

Thanks for any replies!!

£2.30 for a single. Although I don't know if it's like London and the prices will increase next month?
It took me about an hour to walk to Morrisons (just past the station) from the village one day. So it's doable if you have nothing to do for the day lol (Was trying to get rid of a cold and was really fancying their southern fried wrap/needed food shopping haha)

saying that I need to book my train/coach ticket back for semester :tongue:
Although I'd rather not get another train that breaks down -.-
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 189
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Single is £2.something I think, and return is £3.90

Definitely not walkable, especially if you have bags. Would take a good couple of hours at least I reckon.

Hi baby-Boo,

Thank you so much for your reply!!! I have an interview at the medical school in January and will be getting the bus from the train station to the university. Looking at the campus map, it looks like there is a bus stop right outside the med school building - is this right? Is this the stop for both of the no. 25 and 30 buses? How long would you say that journey would take? (want to make sure I arrive in good time!!)

Just thought it would be helpful to ask a UEA medic!! :smile: x
Original post by JClay

Original post by JClay
Hi baby-Boo,

Thank you so much for your reply!!! I have an interview at the medical school in January and will be getting the bus from the train station to the university. Looking at the campus map, it looks like there is a bus stop right outside the med school building - is this right? Is this the stop for both of the no. 25 and 30 buses? How long would you say that journey would take? (want to make sure I arrive in good time!!)

Errrm I can't remember what buses stop there - the 30 definitely doesn't. They all stop at the bus stop by the main car park, so as long as you know your way to the med school from there, you'll be fine :smile:

I'd probably allow an hour tbh. It doesn't take that long, but like you said, you want to make sure you're not late! Good luck!
Original post by JClay
Hi baby-Boo,

I'm not a medic, but I have been past the bus stop your talking about on the way to class a number of times- it is very near the med school and its the 25 and 35 buses which stop there.

The bus stop is on your right as you go out of the station. And the bus stop you want to get off at on campus is the last one I believe.

The 30 is a new express bus service which only operates in the morning and evening peaks, and only ever one way- from the rail station to the university between half 7 and half 9ish and back from the university to the station between half 3 and 6 oclock. This only stops at the main bus stop near the car park.

Journey time is approximatley 20 mins when its not the rush hour, around half an hour when it is, with buses usually every 10 mins or less- but I'd allow more time so you aren't in a rush.

Good luck with the interview.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jelly1000

I'm not a medic, but I have been past the bus stop your talking about on the way to class a number of times- it is very near the med school. I might need someone to correct me on this but I think the maps are slightly out of date as they don't show the new buisness school building, and I think the bus stop is outside the buisness school, but in any case the med school is right next to it. Sorry if that just confuses you. Either way its the 25 and 35 buses which stop there.

The bus stop is on your left as you go out of the station. And the bus stop you want to get off at on campus is the last one I believe.

The 30 is a new express bus service which only operates in the morning and evening peaks, and only ever one way- from the rail station to the university between half 7 and half 9ish and back from the university to the station between half 3 and 6 oclock. This only stops at the main bus stop near the car park.

Journey time is approximatley 20 mins when its not the rush hour, around half an hour when it is, with buses usually every 10 mins or less- but I'd allow more time so you aren't in a rush.

Good luck with the interview.

The new business school building is just Thomas Paine slightly renamed :confused:

And the bus stop is on the right as you come out of the station :p:
The new business school building is just Thomas Paine slightly renamed :confused:

oops i knew my directions weren't great, i'll edit that bit.

and as far as the buisness school goes, i thought it was right next to the med school, and this map i saw:
http://www.uea.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.91534!/campusmap_April09_V9.pdf
shows it as being nextt to the science buildings

the map i found didn't have the name for thomas paine, and had labelled a different building as being for buisness.

the map i found didn't have the name for thomas paine, and had labelled a different building as being for buisness.

Is that the most recent map they have on the website!? Thomas Paine isn't even built according to that map! :eek:

Here is the most up to date map :smile:
Is that the most recent map they have on the website!? Thomas Paine isn't even built according to that map! :eek:

its the first map that came up when i googled 'UEA campus map'
Reply 198
Just trying to find out if the post office on campus is open over the Christmas/New Year Period?
Here is the most up to date map :smile:

Cheers for that, not that I need it now I hope. It's just hard to picture everything in your head. Oh and I thought I'd been on TSR for a long time lol- just seen your join date.

Quick Reply

Latest