The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1660
has anyone applied for the ICAP spring week? If so, do you guys know what the application process is? (i.e numerical tests, telephone interview etc?) thanks!
Does anybody know about that story of the UBS analyst (M&A healthcare I think) who quit after just 3 weeks? His resignation email to his team is going around online, too funny! The guy just packed all his belongings from the office, left his blackberry on the desk and left lol.
Original post by Marc Fiorano
Does anybody know about that story of the UBS analyst (M&A healthcare I think) who quit after just 3 weeks? His resignation email to his team is going around online, too funny! The guy just packed all his belongings from the office, left his blackberry on the desk and left lol.

hahah have you got a link?
Reply 1663
Really? That's news to me, I mean I always knew they're big on work exp and outstanding unique ECs but the general consensus is they're very snobby about unis. Maybe it's different here in London than NYC, where they are hardcore elitists.

On the SW last year there was birmingham, nottingham, manchester, edinburgh, southampton and sheffield. I think it's true NY only recruits from Ivy but GS want leaders and indepedent thinkers, and they say that these often come more from semi-targets than targets because people at targets are often solely academics or simply don't have the time to do anything outstanding which shows true intuition. They are the most fussy though, you have to tick every obscure box
Just what i've been told at networking.
Reply 1664
Original post by lilly xx
On the SW last year there was birmingham, nottingham, manchester, edinburgh, southampton and sheffield. I think it's true NY only recruits from Ivy but GS want leaders and indepedent thinkers, and they say that these often come more from semi-targets than targets because people at targets are often solely academics or simply don't have the time to do anything outstanding which shows true intuition. They are the most fussy though, you have to tick every obscure box
Just what i've been told at networking.

Interesting. I've heard quite the opposite that although extra curriculars and work exp are a bonus, they don't expect a great deal of finance experience in particular.

They do however expect great academic performance and demonstrable interest in finance plus activities that show you have the soft skills they need.
Original post by sw3
has anyone applied for the ICAP spring week? If so, do you guys know what the application process is? (i.e numerical tests, telephone interview etc?) thanks!

The ICAP industry insight week is actually in the summer and it coincides with the summer interns' first week.

No link, no care
i hear all these guys having extracurricular things... i personally have almost anything (just did a summer course in boston and won two bronze medal in the national math olympiad) but anything at all work related...
maybe in the UK it's easier but in italy is really hard to find any kind of work even with a degree...without it you can maybe try to get into farming ahaha
Reply 1667
Original post by miml
Interesting. I've heard quite the opposite that although extra curriculars and work exp are a bonus, they don't expect a great deal of finance experience in particular.

They do however expect great academic performance and demonstrable interest in finance plus activities that show you have the soft skills they need.

This is what all the banks want, GS like to be different. It's not that they don't value academic perfomance (remember, someone from a non-target could have 4A*s) it's that they're aren't too bothered about your uni, unlike most other banks. They want intuitive leaders and people who can change things - very few EC's actually demonstrate this, which is why the people who do go to top of the pile for them.
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui

No link, no care

It was emailed to me so couldn't link, I'll PM you.

PM me too please :biggrin:
Original post by lilly xx
This is what all the banks want, GS like to be different. It's not that they don't value academic perfomance (remember, someone from a non-target could have 4A*s) it's that they're aren't too bothered about your uni, unlike most other banks. They want intuitive leaders and people who can change things - very few EC's actually demonstrate this, which is why the people who do go to top of the pile for them.

This sounds very good for me!
Original post by miml
Those with CS interviews, when did you apply?

I sent my application last Tuesday (13th) and was invited to interview the following Tuesday (20th)
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
The ICAP industry insight week is actually in the summer and it coincides with the summer interns' first week.

No link, no care

Original post by moritzplatz
PM me too please :biggrin:

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/ubs-analyst-quits

Shows the email there, quite old though. 3 or 4 years ago I think.

cheers, this guy's a legend lol. i wouldn't put up with that **** either

Mate, do you know BarCap's pass mark for the numerical?
Original post by fudgesundae
http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/ubs-analyst-quits

Shows the email there, quite old though. 3 or 4 years ago I think.

Oh damn it is as well!
I'm so behind with the times :dry: I just got it as a chain email today.
Oh damn it is as well!
I'm so behind with the times :dry: I just got it as a chain email today.

haha, not so sure if anyone would be so ready to quit these days. I wonder what he is doing now lol
Original post by Doughnuts!!

I'd take a guess that if you get 3-4 wrong, you should be fine. They tell you if you passed instantly though
Original post by Doughnuts!!

No idea man. You have to pass it to get to the verbal though and usually you should be told straight away after the test. I think in that test I got at most 2 wrong.

But I think they use a different pass mark to get to the interview stage.
Original post by fudgesundae
haha, not so sure if anyone would be so ready to quit these days. I wonder what he is doing now lol

True! It does sound like he had a rough time though, I can imagine being pretty pissed off at being shouted at for somebody else's mistakes. I think it comes as a bit of a shock because all banks portray this bull**** about their 'team' culture where everything's rosey but really there's a massive hierarchy.

Latest

Trending

Trending