The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oxford offer for straight Maths too. I applied for Maths&CS, but now I'm glad the CS department rejected me :smile: Maths seems to be my field, my place, where I belong. lookin forward to studying Maths at uni!
Reply 4081
Original post by desy.kris
Oxford offer for straight Matr Maths&CS, but w I'm glad t department rejected me :smile: Maths seems to be my field, my place, where I belong. lookin forward to studying Maths at uni!

were you that person on the facebook page saying people who got rejected were stupid?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by deejayy
were you that person on the facebook page saying people who got rejected were stupid?

thats not what i said. i said that rejectees are not good enough to get in, and those who get in are better than those who get rejected. (that's common sense) but now i see that it's not merely based on whether one is good or not.

and, if you just wanna tell me that it's karma, no it is not because i knew that the CS dep rejected me already when i said that. and i admit to not being a good CS applicant in the first place (lack of bg knowledge)
Just a little reminder that the stalking page is still there! Feel free to add yourself if you already haven't and update your row if you have received more offers/rejections/etc.

Merry ChristMATHS to all the Mathematics applicants. You've probably already seen this but here's a nice little video linking christmas and maths!

And happy holidays to all those who aren't celebrating christmas =)
Reply 4084
Original post by desy.kris
thats not what i said. i said that rejectees are not good enough to get in, and those who get in are better than those who get rejected. (that's common sense) but now i see that it's not merely based on whether one is good or not.

and, if you just wanna tell me that it's karma, no it is not because i knew that the CS dep rejected me already when i said that. and i admit to not being a good CS applicant in the first place (lack of bg knowledge)

You do realise now that what you said was complete BS, right? There's a good chance that a few hundred applicants were good enough for the course (many of those in fact are likely to be "better" at maths than those with offers) but just didn't have the luck, perfect grades, perhaps aren't paying international fees etc...

On top of all that, it's a tad harsh towards those who didn't get in, who are likely to be feeling a little down about the whole thing so there was no need to be quite so insensitive, don't you think?
Original post by laughylolly
Just a little reminder that the stalking page is still there! Feel free to add yourself if you already haven't and update your row if you have received more offers/rejections/etc.

Merry ChristMATHS to all the Mathematics applicants. You've probably already seen this but here's a nice little video linking christmas and maths!

And happy holidays to all those who aren't celebrating christmas =)

Vihart! One of my favourite youtube subscriptions.
Original post by Exp!
You do realise now that what you said was complete BS, right? There's a good chance that a few hundred applicants were good enough for the course (many of those in fact are likely to be "better" at maths than those with offers) but just didn't have the luck, perfect grades, perhaps aren't paying international fees etc...

On top of all that, it's a tad harsh towards those who didn't get in, who are likely to be feeling a little down about the whole thing so there was no need to be quite so insensitive, don't you think?

I have apologised in the group.

but sorry for that again.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BeccaCath94
Ooh cool :biggrin: So you are more eastern then :smile:

Ahh nice :tongue:
Are you at uni then?

I love scarborough!!! :biggrin: Woo! Us yorkshire folk!

Nope I'm applying this year for Maths :smile: .. a friend of mine is studying at York
Reply 4088
Original post by Exp!

Well said. Could not agree more about luck playing a factor. Although all interviews are kept the same by college, the type of questions asked could varying drastically by college in terms of style and difficulty. Which does significantly affect interview performance. I think it is very hard/ impossible to maintain consistency in admissions across colleges, even with the pooling system. For example, in my first interview, one of the jumps required in a part of one question was IMO similar to/ more difficult than Step II/III level.

Although, I may disagree about the international fees thing: don't know about Ox, but reading TSR has suggested that internationals are commonly set S1 or SS offers for Cam (and I remember reding about a student being placed in the summer pool with a S1...:eek:).
Original post by snow leopard
Vihart! One of my favourite youtube subscriptions.

Literally spent a whole maths lesson yesterday watching her videos =D

My favourite is probably the Tau one.

Oh by the way, does anyone know if any unis give out offers/rejections on Saturdays? Just curious. Anyone received a maths offer on the weekend yet?
Original post by twig
Well said. Could not agree more about luck playing a factor.

This, this and this again.
In my Lincoln interview, a lot of what I said was somehow worded in such a way as to lead on to some interesting discussion. I guessed at some of the things she asked me and got them spot on - and we connected well because of this. I can see that, had I said something slightly differently or not quite got there on one part, my interview might have been an entirely different experience.

That we are "better" than those who didn't make the cut is not a statement anyone can make. Our application obviously doesn't represent everything that we are, and there are plenty of universities that aren't Oxbridge that compare to Oxbridge. Many who didn't make Oxford will do fantastically at Imperial, Warwick, Durham, UCL, Bristol, Bath.... the list goes on and doesn't stop.

I am very positively sure that my place factored largely on me connecting well with those who interviewed me. One can be incredibly talented at maths, but not be the sort of person who the interviewer thinks is suited to tutorials. Just.. yeh. "Yeh" is my conclusion. I need more sleep. Happy christmas.
Reply 4091
Original post by officeface
This, this and this again.
In my Lincoln interview, a lot of what I said was somehow worded in such a way as to lead on to some interesting discussion. I guessed at some of the things she asked me and got them spot on - and we connected well because of this. I can see that, had I said something slightly differently or not quite got there on one part, my interview might have been an entirely different experience.

That we are "better" than those who didn't make the cut is not a statement anyone can make. Our application obviously doesn't represent everything that we are, and there are plenty of universities that aren't Oxbridge that compare to Oxbridge. Many who didn't make Oxford will do fantastically at Imperial, Warwick, Durham, UCL, Bristol, Bath.... the list goes on and doesn't stop.

I am very positively sure that my place factored largely on me connecting well with those who interviewed me. One can be incredibly talented at maths, but not be the sort of person who the interviewer thinks is suited to tutorials. Just.. yeh. "Yeh" is my conclusion. I need more sleep. Happy christmas.

Merry christmas, that post has cheered me up.
Oh by the way, does anyone know if any unis give out offers/rejections on Saturdays? Just curious. Anyone received a maths offer on the weekend yet?

Apparently offers can come at any time at all. Both of mine have been Wednesday evenings though :P

A quick look on the offers page that I didn't ask for a few weeks ago shows that they do, for example gwenllian94 got his/her offer from Nottingham on a Saturday.
Original post by lifesabeach
Nope I'm applying this year for Maths :smile: .. a friend of mine is studying at York

Ooh cool :biggrin: Where abouts? I am too!

Ahh York's lovely :smile: One of my friend's parents is a lecturer for maths at york :biggrin:
Reply 4095
Just spent my Christmas Eve afternoon reading this thread :smile:
I've applied to Cambridge, Warwick, Bristol, Bath, and York
All 4 year courses (apart from Cambridge)
I've got offers from Warwick, Bath and York and I was invited to interview at Cambridge but I am 100% sure that I messed it up :/ Really eager to hear from Bristol and then I am all complete :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by iyanaomi
Just spent my Christmas Eve afternoon reading this thread :smile:
I've applied to Cambridge, Warwick, Bristol, Bath, and York
All 4 year courses (apart from Cambridge)
I've got offers from Warwick, Bath and York and I was invited to interview at Cambridge but I am 100% sure that I messed it up :/ Really eager to hear from Bristol and then I am all complete :biggrin:

I feel a bit like you do for Cambridge, but I do think it's difficult to judge. So don't give up hope yet!! And either way, at 3 offers from great unis you're doing better than me so far :P
Original post by derangedyoshi
Apparently offers can come at any time at all. Both of mine have been Wednesday evenings though :P

My Warwick one was on a wednesday and Bath on a Tuesday.

Original post by snow leopard
A quick look on the offers page that I didn't ask for a few weeks ago shows that they do, for example gwenllian94 got his/her offer from Nottingham on a Saturday.

Ah okay. Thanks =)

I was just wondering if there was even the slightest possibility of getting an early christmas present from Durham in the form of an offer :L
Reply 4098
Original post by derangedyoshi
I feel a bit like you do for Cambridge, but I do think it's difficult to judge. So don't give up hope yet!! And either way, at 3 offers from great unis you're doing better than me so far :P

What college did you apply for? :smile:
After reading this thread, I feel quite lucky to have my offers aha! Where have you applied to?
Original post by iyanaomi
What college did you apply for? :smile:
After reading this thread, I feel quite lucky to have my offers aha! Where have you applied to?

Info's all in my sig - I applied for Emmanuel, you?

Latest