The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2420
To spoiler, use the [ ] keys to create an opening tag [text ] and closing tag

Spoiler

Hope that helps.
You sound a good friend, but remember you can't help others if you don't help yourself! All the best and have a great Christmas.

-----Need. New. Coping. Mechanisms.
My 2 worst behaviours right now:
1. Bingeing (I know how to stop this, but any more pointers would be great)
2. Late night laptop-bash. Back from the curry night and it was great (first successful practice of intuitive eating in this situation, usually I just end up bingeing but got it just right tonight) but now I'm struggling to sleep. Yay. Would be nice to have a decent filling meal and still get a good night's sleep, always seems to be a choice between weight loss through diet or weight loss through insomnia and resultant stress. Although it's not just with food-everytime I'm nervous about something, I end up either with the GP, at a therapist/counsellor, or on the computer. It's practically an Internet addiction : /
What to do instead, peepz?
Original post by Riku
Need. New. Coping. Mechanisms.

Everyone is different - but I normally do some sort of craft when I'm struggling. Some people I met liked watching a comedy or going on the internet as a way to better cope with feelings but I personally need to do something practical. :redface: I would say do the opposite to what you would automatically do if you feel anxious - instead of isolating yourself for example, see friends or family. Go for a walk or browse the shops. :smile:
Original post by Riku

Hope that helps.

-----Need. New. Coping. Mechanisms.

It does thankyou very much!!
Hope you have a lovely Christmas :smile:
Reply 2423
Original post by briesandwich
Everyone is different - but I normally do some sort of craft when I'm struggling. Some people I met liked watching a comedy or going on the internet as a way to better cope with feelings but I personally need to do something practical. :redface: I would say do the opposite to what you would automatically do if you feel anxious - instead of isolating yourself for example, see friends or family. Go for a walk or browse the shops. :smile:

Thanks Brie. Old habits die hard, I guess.
:hugs:
----

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Rant

Spoiler

Reply 2425
Frustrated, infuriated and exhausted, I returned from weigh-in today at the therapists to find out I have dropped weight again; back to the seven stone mark.

For a man my height (5'7") this is absurd.

I explained to her that I've been avoiding my meal plan in favour of a more "Screw it, I need to gain so caution to the wind for Christmas!" approach. But she helped me realise I was constantly self-sabotaging. I overestimate my calories SO MUCH, purposely, that I was 1000 a day LESS just through shaving 40s, 50s etc here and there ("I had an alpen light bar, so what, that's 100" - er, no. It's 63.)

She said to me, as I have lots of buffets and parties to go to that I should simply go mental. There is no such thing as too much when your bmi is less than 16. I explained that when I do go mental, I cannot understand I am full.

You other ED sufferers will notice that the stomach pains you get, you can't distinguish whether it's hunger, satiety, or overindulgence any longer. I will literally eat until I cannot eat any more, but still have food left on the plate and think "I need to finish this, it is a portion" because I forget how to let my body dictate things as opposed to calorie counts or scaled portions.

She says your body is not healed yet, so don't expect your mind to understand those sensations. EAT. BE MERRY. IT IS CHRISTMAS. When our bodies are healed, our minds will finally realise how much we were killing them.
Reply 2426
Rang the services for a re-referral on account of beginning to binge and more advice on how to deal with uni lunchtimes/eventually living out. I know it's not just overeating because I can't actually stop myself now and sometimes it's hand straight in jamjar-style rather than specific treats or snacks. Still pending whether I'll get through but I'm seeing the docs about it on Friday, hopefully they can put a good word forward : )
Anyone else dreading Christmas day?
Weird question but have any of you experienced pica (eating indelible things, things that aren't food) in your ED?
I've been trying to figure out where my problems started in childhood (to see if I'll ever be normal :sigh: ) and have noticed that my pica (I compulsively eat my own flesh in scab and other forms, it is disgusting, I know) is something that I have had for as long as I can remember, but relates to my obsession of purity in food (if I'm eating myself I'm a self sufficient machine, so surely I don't need anything else, sort of thinking) and my self harm. This really scares me that as a pre-schooler I can remember thinking this. I guess that all of the chambers in my anorexia 'gun' were filled long before I started to really think about weight. Ugh.

On another note, I told a friend about my relapse. She listened but doesn't really understand because she comes from a rather horrible home and sees my life as pretty perfect. Am psyching myself up to fill out the uni counselling form in January.
Original post by sophiemay20
Anyone else dreading Christmas day?

yup. Not looking forward to xmas at all, theres one present under the tree I want to open, not so fussed about the rest. And theres FAR TOO MUCH food in the house.
Original post by briesandwich
:sad: I just went to the doctor for a very personal but worrying problem which I'll spoiler.

Spoiler

What did he prescribe me? Laxatives. :frown: Laxatives to someone who has worked so hard for years to beat laxative abuse. I felt really upset and chucked away my prescription. I've been strongly advised to register with another GP. Oh gosh I don't know what to do. :cry:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 2431
I ought to be looking forward to it having not expected to make it through to see it, but now I'm kinda dreading it because it brings out the worst in me. Not overindulgence; that's fair enough, this is a time of joy and celebration often accompanied by excess. It's good to let ourselves go once in a while (or twice, or three times, or never hold ourselves back against our will come to think of it). That's not really my problem. It's hypocrisy, still utter hypocrisy. I like to play a dirty blame game.

Spoiler

In many ways I've become such a horrible person. WHY? I wish I knew. All I know is health-conscientiousness is a genuine part of who I am, but now I'm choosing to express that individuality in the worst way possible.
I know this is another swarm of negativity, but it cuts to the bare bones of my anxiety and disordered habits. I sabotage my own recovery. There's nothing wrong with eating some junk as a treat, but to then blame others for my own actions is inexcusable. I feel pretty calm and content as a whole but that's not right, not if I'm making my mum suffer instead.
So in that sense, I'm really hoping I'll be brave enough to have Christmas pud and not tell someone off for it but make sure I know whatever happens is my choice, my pleasure and my responsibility.
Jesus, fat this, fat that. Such mixed messages are coming out about it that it becomes difficult to judge what does what. We aren't even quite sure at the moment what causes high cholesterol! (Saturated fat apparently is NOT the culprit)

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/saturated-fat-is-not-evil.html

Reading University (interview February 1st!) is currently doing a lot of research into saturated fat and cholesterol. The results show the same thing; it ain't the culprit.

INTERESTING FACT; Anorexics have a tendency of having paradoxically high cholesterol. It's to do with when people don't eat enough their body begins eating itself. This releases the 'bad' cholesterol found in the fat cells.

Personally I believe that high cholesterol is caused by high sugar low fat. The body, seeking to maintain the amount of cholesterol in the blood, will leech the bad cholesterol from the cells by using the constant flow of insulin opening the cells for glucose transfusion. Purely my own theory as to how it works, your choice, but it kinda makes a bit of sense as it's difficult for saturated fat to get through the GI tract due to the size of the molecules and it offers a fairly good explanation...

Just think it like this;
It hasn't killed you before, it isn't gonna kill you now. The only thing that will kill you now is you being too picky.

Relax. Enjoy!
Reply 2433
Wound up here looking for some kind of support because I have a really bad relationship with food at the moment, for various reasons. Just cannot bring myself to eat much at all, and I used to be so into food. :frown:
Reply 2434
Antiaris is a wise gent. A lot of it is common sense but you have to convey it in a really very special way to seem relevant, and he always does.

We are stronger than this. A Christmas feast is a festival. A Celebration.

The perfect happy time!

If this is the case, why are we gauging based upon our minimum allowances?

Are we actually trying to... QUANTIFY CHRISTMAS?

What an absurd notion, in my opinion.

I simply have to imagine Santa Claus weighing out the meat on his plate before eating to realise what a ridiculous notion it is.

My mind is broken guys. A lot of your minds are broken too. You think you know things. You do, but only from a totally skewed, incorrect perspective. Want to be normal? ENJOY CHRISTMAS!!
Original post by TotoMimo
ENJOY CHRISTMAS!!

Thank you toto - I hope you take your own advice and remember that there is no such thing as an allowance when you are underweight - let alone so very very underweight!! Think of your future and enjoy as much wonderful food as you can!

Wishing all of you a merry christmas - enjoy everything and everyone! Life's too short! xx
Reply 2436
Thank you Cinamon, and you know, the same to you!! Christmas is one day, a droplet of water in the ocean of our lives, a fleeting moment in order to let go and celebrate everythig we love about life, family, and happiness.

And that includes cake.

Lots of cake.

Thank you Cinamon, and you know, the same to you!! Christmas is one day, a droplet of water in the ocean of our lives, a fleeting moment in order to let go and celebrate everythig we love about life, family, and happiness.

And that includes cake.

Lots of cake.

Merry Christmas Toto, I really hope you have a lovely one :jumphug:
(And I hope it's delicious :yep:)
Merry Christmas everyone, I hope you all have a lovely time :h:

Not so cheery...

Spoiler

You're all in my thoughts today. :hugs: Have a wonderful day!

Quick Reply

Latest