The Student Room Group

Noisy Eaters....Why?

Why do you have to make so much noise when you're eating? It drives me insane!

A genuine question to noisy eaters, do you know you're doing it? Is it a way of publicly demonstrating how much you're enjoying yourself, or do you simply not care about munching and slapping your lips while us polite eaters are carefully chewing our food. I asked an old housemate about this and he told me that he 'had to eat like that' as if it was genetic, but I just think he was a bit lazy. I need answers!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by chefdave
Why do you have to make so much noise when you're eating? It drives me insane!

A genuine question to noisy eaters, do you know you're doing it? Is it a way of publicly demonstrating how much you're enjoying yourself, or do you simply not care about munching and slapping your lips while us polite eaters are carefully chewing our food. I asked an old housemate about this and he told me that he 'had to eat like that' as if it was genetic, but I just think he was a bit lazy. I need answers!

He's a slob; it's not genetic.
Reply 2
Some people just can't help it...

Spoiler

Reply 3
I was eating Christmas toast this morning in the kitchen, and my sister said she could hear me from another room. Gotta love having braces.

Edit: neg repper, you wish you had straight teeth.
(edited 12 years ago)
oink
THANK YOU.

There is somebody like me in the world. I cannot eat in the same room as my family without getting stressed. Seriously, I have some sort of phobia :tongue: I'm like this with other noises too (e.g. people aimlessly tapping tables) but it's mainly eating that bugs me. Like, bugs me to the point of anger. I find myself shrieking 'WHY CAN'T YOU EAT LIKE A NORMAL PERSON!? IT'S REVOLTING!!!'

People who don't close their mouths are the worst :frown: But some people seem to manage to make a superhuman amount of noise even with their mouths closed! I actually do not understand this. It is most often men (I guess they have bigger mouths??).

I'm seriously starting to think I have this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

:rolleyes:

I know people are reading this thinking what a freak but meh. It's the one thing that literally drives me crazy. Thanks OP for feeling my pain.

xx
My brother eats really noisily, like partially parting his lips but not quite opening his mouth everytime he chews, and the sound he makes actually makes me feel sick. I had to leave the table at Christmas dinner until he'd finished because I didn't want to throw up! He can stop it and eat quietly when I tell him about it, so I don't know why he does it.

I've been told I sometimes hum when I eat, but I don't even know I do it and so I don't know how to stop doing it, but my mum says it's cute because I've done it since I was a baby and breastfeeding! And nobody else even notices unless it's pointed out to them so I guess that's not a big deal.

Guess it depends on the kind of noise you make really.

Also Luna. you poor thing, I had the same problem when I had my braces. It gets easier.
Reply 7
Mhmm I cannot stand noisy eaters or people who eat with their mouth open. It's so unnecessary and it really grates on me. I think it's a lot to do with how the person is brought up. I learnt from a very young age that eating with your mouth open is bad manners, but no one cares about manners anymore.
I have to agree, this is one of my pet hates as well. I can't eat in the same room as my parents as my mum chews like a donkey.
Reply 9
It's not so much the lip-slapping I hate, although it is disgusting, it's the breathy noises people make at every mouthful when they are eating too fast. Slow the hell down and breathe properly, okay?
Reply 10
Unfortunately for me my mum, dad and sister make so much noise whilst eating it is unbelievable and also this girl at college:facepalm:how is it even possible to make soo much noise whilst eating.
Original post by piano_penguin
THANK YOU.

There is somebody like me in the world. I cannot eat in the same room as my family without getting stressed. Seriously, I have some sort of phobia :tongue: I'm like this with other noises too (e.g. people aimlessly tapping tables) but it's mainly eating that bugs me. Like, bugs me to the point of anger. I find myself shrieking 'WHY CAN'T YOU EAT LIKE A NORMAL PERSON!? IT'S REVOLTING!!!'

People who don't close their mouths are the worst :frown: But some people seem to manage to make a superhuman amount of noise even with their mouths closed! I actually do not understand this. It is most often men (I guess they have bigger mouths??).

I know people are reading this thinking what a freak but meh. It's the one thing that literally drives me crazy. Thanks OP for feeling my pain.

xx

I have that problem... it's so bad I've actually come close to hitting people and have hit walls etc. It's not fun at all :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by rachelkeira
I have that problem... it's so bad I've actually come close to hitting people and have hit walls etc. It's not fun at all :frown:

Same. I get serious violent tendencies when people are rudely chewing their food near me, I just feel the need to lash out. There's no need to eat like a pig, sometimes I try and make a racket myself to get them back but I don't think noisy eaters really give a damn. They probably enjoy the company.
(edited 12 years ago)
Some people need to open their mouths as they're chewing (for example, people with a deviated septum that prevents nasal breathing.) This is a partial contributor to noisy eating.
Reply 14
I hate it to such an unreasonable level. A pet hate for me. I hate even hearing myself eat so I eat really quietly! It's silly I know. :lol:

Interestingly, a housemate of mine from Hong Kong used to do it. When I told her to stop (and she did thankfully!), she told me that in her culture, eating loudly is how you show that you're enjoying the meal. It's a compliment to the chef.

Well, chefs in Hong Kong would hate me!
I do it just for people like you :smile:
Reply 16
I hate it, and in some ways I hate that I hate it, because I do genuinely believe that some people cannot help it. Although I have to be honest the worst thing is a guy at my uni. He was eating with headphones on. He was moaning, breathing loudly, and was managing to crunch cake... long story short I wanted to snap the guys neck.
Reply 17
Om Nom Nom Nom Nom :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by piano_penguin
THANK YOU.

xx

I have this phobia (and you don't sound like a freak, because I know exactly how you feel!)

It feels as if I've felt like this for a LONG time, now it just seems part of my life that I'm not ever going to get over.

And I read the Wiki page, and I never knew about that, but it literally sounds like how I feel. Didn't know there was a proper name for what I feel like!!

It drives me crazy too, and I find soft foods are the worst, because they sound mushy. And when some family members eat in a certain way I can't help but give such an evil look at them :P
Not that I live with them anymore but from quite a young age I haven't been able to eat in the same room as my family or other people. The sound of food squelching in other people's mouth actually disgusts me to a point where I feel mentally disturbed. For me it's not just that either, the sight of slopping eating and the 'mouth-movements' involved have often made me have to leave dinner tables in the past because it just evokes this horrible feeling for me. When I was younger I would wait till my family had eaten and then go down and cook/eat for myself.

That wasn't even an overstatement, it's something I've never been able to deal with. The only time I can manage to sit through it is at times like Christmas etc where it's expected and I feel physically uncomfortable the whole way through :s-smilie:

I just don't get it, I literally don't seem to make any eating noises apart from stuff like crunching on lettuce/apples etc; it doesn't cause me any effort so I fail to understand how some people manage to create such sounds!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending