The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marc Fiorano
No it isn't. Getting in is where leveraging contacts comes into play. It will not have any bearing on your individual performance as a trader or whatever role. Unless you regard simply getting the job as 'success', when in reality that's arguably the easiest part of a career in IB. How does knowing somebody equate to stand-out performances in trades and deals? It doesn't. In the end it all comes down to the individual and their contribution to the business.

Yes, there are cases where for example if you're favoured by a senior you will be given the lead in certain deals or with certain clients/portfolios, but again that only gets you the gig, you still have to perform.

Do you own a business? Do you have any spring week interviews or offers?:cool:

If you don't know anyone, and nobody knows you, who exactly will you trade with?
Original post by i_hate_teeth

If you don't know anyone, and nobody knows you, who exactly will you trade with?

:rofl:
I wish I could see the moment people start pissing on your face as soon as you open that mouth of yours, the things you come out with are properly retarded.
Reply 1802

I have two interviews (they dont mean much btw you can still get rejected) and I don't know anybody, just applied through the website.

Does that come as a shock to a person who has had to jerk of directors to get an interview? :rolleyes:
You don't understand trading if you're genuinely asking that question.
To those are arguing over ECs vs Work Experience - having both is good but showing what you learnt from them and how they developed you as a person is IMO the most important thing. It doesn't matter which one you have, but showing that you have the skills is WAY MORE important.

I also think that it's good to have ECs that aren't related too much to finance as well, it shows that you are more rounded person.
Original post by Marc Fiorano
:rofl:
I wish I could see the moment people start pissing on your face as soon as you open that mouth of yours, the things you come out with are properly retarded.

I have seen you post a lot of misinformation in this thread. I am literally watching you dig a hole for yourself. All jokes aside, I can give you at least two reasons why you were rejected by JPM just based on cover letter and CV advice that you've posted in this thread.

If I was in your position, I would be trying my hardest to get in my good books...( keep your friends close and your enemies closer).
Original post by Industrious Orca
What do you mean chill. I didn't swear or anything lol.

The JPM schools programme is a decent programme and is one of the only ones that shows that you are wanted by a big named organisation. Any other sort of work experience at this level is just through contacts which isn't as impressive.

Not necessarily true, strictly speaking. I did an internship in a bank this summer and that wasn't through contacts at all.

I pretty much agree with everything else you've said, though of course, the most important thing is showing how ECs\work experience has helped you to develop.

If I was in your position, I would be trying my hardest to get in my good books...( keep your friends close and your enemies closer).

L.O.L
Can anyone help please?
For Deutsche Bank it says "Attach CV*You can only attach one file: this should contain your CV, cover letter and any other materials relevant for your particular application."

did you guys send a cover letter too? As everything in a normal cover letter is covered by their competency questions?!?
Thanks
Original post by Mr Nonsense
Can anyone help please?
For Deutsche Bank it says "Attach CV*You can only attach one file: this should contain your CV, cover letter and any other materials relevant for your particular application."

did you guys send a cover letter too? As everything in a normal cover letter is covered by their competency questions?!?
Thanks

Yes. Don't be lazy... and just do it.
I have seen you post a lot of misinformation in this thread. I am literally watching you dig a hole for yourself. All jokes aside, I can give you at least two reasons why you were rejected by JPM just based on cover letter and CV advice that you've posted in this thread.

Haha that's comedy gold coming from the one user who posts the most bull**** on this thread. What is your contribution to this thread anyway apart from pie-in-the-sky fabricated horse crap? You haven't seen my cover letter or my CV, and there have been many people who have received interviews with some firms and got rejected by others so one rejection does not determine the entire standard of an applicant.

I'm honest and transparent enough to share when I get a rejection. I'm sure for a guy like you who gets erections over insignificant emails would probably contemplate suicide with a rejection. It's not like you will ever share your rejections on here anyway, I can already guess by the end of all this you will say you got an offer from every single bank :rolleyes:

But if I'll ever want advice from a simpleton I'm definitely coming to you :yy:

LOL watching too many movies :rofl:
Don't flatter yourself, I, along with the majority here, perceive you as one of the dumbest users around. You're just a troll. Weren't you the guy who had the GS logo as your avatar and then said "I don't even want to go into IB" LOL :rofl:

But every circus needs a clown and must say you do that job perfectly :yy:

which uni are you in?
Does anyone know for verbal reasoning tests what score is considered good?? what percentage do most people get??
Reply 1811
Original post by natty_d
To those are arguing over ECs vs Work Experience - having both is good but showing what you learnt from them and how they developed you as a person is IMO the most important thing. It doesn't matter which one you have, but showing that you have the skills is WAY MORE important.

I also think that it's good to have ECs that aren't related too much to finance as well, it shows that you are more rounded person.

This.

At this stage it's more about selling yourself and being able to emphasise the things you learnt well. This is where some are better than others.

Also, regardless of who you know, if you can't do the job as well or better than competitors you're contacts won't stick around for long. This (and any other) business isn't about who you know, it's about being the best and making sure people know that.
To put this crudely and bluntly:

People need to understand that this whole industry is built on cocksucking. It genuinlely is. The ones who go the furthest are the ones who are able to build a close relatoinship with the manager.

I see it happen, time and time again. You may get some trader who is great, makes decent money for the firm but then you may get the trader who is probably on the tier below the other guy, yet manages to get higher up becuase he has built a relastionship with senior people.

The old saying "it's not what you know, it's who you know" is prevalent as a 1st year and even more so when you work in the City.
One of my friend has receive invite for CITI cert in finance numerical test, sent around 11am GMT on 26 december
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
missing an A-level offer (esp because I'm pretty sure he was on a gap year and was just taking a couple of extra subjects) is pretty embarrassing.

Ahem. :erm:

Anyway, HOW ARE YOU? I asked you this a while back and you blanked me. :crush:
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Ahem. :erm:

Anyway, HOW ARE YOU? I asked you this a while back and you blanked me. :crush:

lol my bad.

I wrote an awesome PM to you, but your inbox is full! And then I forgot to remind you to clear it
Hi guys, so overall am I right in thinking that these do tests:

Nomura
Barclays Capital
UBS
Deutsche Bank
Credit Suisse

and these don't:

BofAML
Citigroup
RBS
Goldman Sachs
HSBC
jane street

and out of the other firms kpmg and pwc ask for tests

THANKS!

(and on my KPMG application it says I have been invited to sit a judgement test but no link and no email?)
Reply 1817
Original post by soczek322
Hi guys, so overall am I right in thinking that these do tests:

Nomura
Barclays Capital
UBS
Deutsche Bank
Credit Suisse

and these don't:

BofAML
Citigroup
RBS
Goldman Sachs
HSBC
jane street

and out of the other firms kpmg and pwc ask for tests

THANKS!

(and on my KPMG application it says I have been invited to sit a judgement test but no link and no email?)

Nomura didn't send me a test but I know people in here have had tests from them
RBS and HSBC have tests. RBS is a logical that gets sent out automatically and HSBC is a numerical (at least for the spring week, not for the summer internship they do) but they screen your app before sending out the invite
Original post by soczek322

Same for me. I think we should receive something sometime this week
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
lol my bad.

I wrote an awesome PM to you, but your inbox is full! And then I forgot to remind you to clear it

Whoops, my fault! Didn't realise that I was at my PM limit. I've cleared it now!

Latest

Trending

Trending