The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

I know there are some fans of this in here :tongue:

Love these.

http://www.reuno.net/project-game-of-thrones
Hahaa, those are brilliant! :biggrin:
Original post by zjs
No 'worst films' list/discussion/rant is complete without a reference to either Leprechaun 2: Back 2 tha Hood or Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus.

If Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus was so bad, why did they follow it up with Mega Shark vs Crocosaurus, huh? Can't answer that, can you?

Besides, it was nothing compared to Sharktopus.

Original post by Colonel.
This kid really annoys me. He reviews films for some American news show.

Ugh. What a dick.

Original post by cambo211
I know there are some fans of this in here :tongue:

Love these.

http://www.reuno.net/project-game-of-thrones

That is curiously adorable.
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Happy LOTR:The Fellowship Of The Ring 10 year anniversary! To celebrate, I have a snuggy that is basically a giant cloak - I will be wearing it all day today pretending I'm Gandalf :biggrin:

I loved the trailer! It had that relative light-heartedness about it which is what I wanted seeing as The Hobbit is like a warm-up in seriousness to the LOTR trilogy. And the music was just brilliant! Also, I think Martin Freeman is the perfect Bilbo :biggrin:

Oh my god yes. The film could be utter balls, and I would still see it repeatedly just for Howard Shore's soundtrack.
Went to the oldest working cinema in the UK yesterday which was awesome, it had huge sofas that you could watch films from. Saw Sherlock Holmes 2, which is a lot of fun although it's just a pure action film now, which is a little bit of a shame. But it's much funnier and bigger and there's some moments where Ritchie just goes mental and it looks incredible. And they played the Dark Knight Rises trailer before, which looks amazing in the cinema.

Next film: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. :coma:
Prometheus trailer:

Damn, next year's going to be good...
Original post by Phalanges
Went to the oldest working cinema in the UK yesterday which was awesome, it had huge sofas that you could watch films from. Saw Sherlock Holmes 2, which is a lot of fun although it's just a pure action film now, which is a little bit of a shame. But it's much funnier and bigger and there's some moments where Ritchie just goes mental and it looks incredible. And they played the Dark Knight Rises trailer before, which looks amazing in the cinema.

Next film: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. :coma:

They didn't play the DKR trailer before Sherlock when I saw it today, I was so disappointed as I was looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. :frown:
Prometheus trailer:

Damn, next year's going to be good...

Good trailer. Don't know that it's good enough for me to get worked up about considering Ridley Scott's incredibly patchy recent filmography, but the man knows his sci-fi, the cast is pretty great and overall I'd say it's quite promising.

Watched Warrior and Moneyball. Pleasantly surprised by both of them, considering I have no interest in either sport.
Reply 5169
Ape Gone Insane

Phalanges

Are we having end-of-the-year awards for the Film Forums like last year? If nothing else, I had really enjoyed the award names. :colondollar:
Original post by Abiraleft
Are we having end-of-the-year awards for the Film Forums like last year? If nothing else, I had really enjoyed the award names. :colondollar:

How did you quote me like that? :holmes:

Yeah, Phalanges PMed me about this as well. There seems to be people wanting to do it, so I guess we should.
Reply 5171
Saw Sherlock 2 today, seriously inferior to the first one. Verging on boring actually. Though I suspect it was because my expectations were too high.
Reply 5172
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
How did you quote me like that? :holmes:

:smug:

Spoiler

Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game of Shadows. That was a letdown. The only good thing about the film is the continued dynamic between Holmes and Watson, and the polar opposite (yet in many ways alike) Moriarty. Everything else about the film has been taken down a notch from the predictable outlandish plot to the deductions which were nothing more than flashes of images (the first film actually had Holmes bothering to narrate you through them) and resolutions which dive in and spontaneously resolve plot points: little red book which comes out of nowhere yet was there the whole time. Not forgetting the abundance of mindless slow motion shots.

At least there's the second series of the TV show to look forward to in a few days. That will be so much better.
Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game of Shadows. That was a letdown. The only good thing about the film is the continued dynamic between Holmes and Watson, and the polar opposite (yet in many ways alike) Moriarty. Everything else about the film has been taken down a notch from the predictable outlandish plot to the deductions which were nothing more than flashes of images (the first film actually had Holmes bothering to narrate you through them) and resolutions which dive in and spontaneously resolve plot points: little red book which comes out of nowhere yet was there the whole time. Not forgetting the abundance of mindless slow motion shots.

At least there's the second series of the TV show to look forward to in a few days. That will be so much better.

Yeah, the image-flash deductions and dei ex machinae really pissed me off too. It was an enjoyable film, but not as clever as the last one.
Reply 5175
channy

philistine

I watched Rashomon two nights ago, and it left me absolutely stunned. Brilliant, brilliant film; the cinematography in particular is easily amongst the best I've ever seen. And in a 1950 film. :adore:

Also, watched Alien last night for the first time (another one off the list of shame :woo:); I really liked that as well - I loved how the film is at its scariest when the alien isn't on screen. Not that some of the scenes involving it aren't properly gruesome. :afraid:
Did anyone get any good film-related Christmas presents? I got a moleskine film journal, which is amazing. :love:

the deductions which were nothing more than flashes of images

I thought they were really poorly executed, often they didn't make things clearer at all.

Not forgetting the abundance of mindless slow motion shots.

However, I thought the slo-mo was handled a lot better. In particular I thought the chase through the forest was really slick. I remember thinking that I should have thought it was excessive, but it seemed to work for me. I've always thought that Guy Ritchie works best on a visual level (I still think the Nike advert he did was his best work to date), and he usually gets moments like that to look pretty good.

Overall I didn't really mind the film too much, it was a perfectly serviceable action film and I've never really liked Sherlock Holmes enough to mind the ways they butchered him. If they'd done the same to Poirot I would probably have burned the cinema down. :p:
One of the people from 'The Slow Mo Guys' worked on the slow mo for Sherlock Holmes :holmes:
If they'd done the same to Poirot I would probably have burned the cinema down. :p:

Imagine a Poirot action movie

:hat:
:gunfire:
:pierre:
:hat2:
:fatcontroller:
(edited 12 years ago)
Poirot is the inferior detective. The poncy Frenchman is nothing in the face of Sherlock's superior deductive skills. :pierre:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending