The Student Room Group

The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Support and Discussion Thread

We have the Anxiety, Depression and Eating Disorder Thread's, so I thought it a bit weird that we didn't have a thread for OCD, especially since it's also pretty common. I have OCD and I thought I'd fill up this gap we have and create this thread for people who have OCD, or who think they might suffer from it, to speak/relate to others, and hopefully help each other through the day or make it just a little easier. Some people's case might be mild-mediocre (like mine) or just a little worse, but we can all still be here for each other. Hope this is a good idea. Who knows, it might become as big as the others :hugs:

My little battle yesterday

Scroll to see replies

Hey :hi:

I don't have OCD but i would like to say that i studied it during my biology coursework AS and it was very interesting.
BUT i think i kinda have OCD too but it's quite different
It's very common though
Reply 2
Just popping in to say best of luck with this thread VV, and well done for creating it.

:grouphugs:
Reply 3
Good idea for a thread :smile: Had a pretty crappy day yesterday cos my sister messed up all my perfectly arranged stacked books and I had to spend all day sorting through and organising it again :frown:
Reply 4
I have OCD.

My biggest thing is even numbers. I have to do everything in an even number: eating, studying, running, shopping. I also have very specific eating rituals, how I chew and so on and so forth. I also have the obvious problems with germs, and needing to check that doors are locked/that I have my keys and phone, so on and so forth. I am better than I used to be: I can now step on cracks in the pavement and stuff.
Reply 5
Original post by Rainfaery

I have OCD.

My biggest thing is even numbers. I have to do everything in an even number: eating, studying, running, shopping. I also have very specific eating rituals, how I chew and so on and so forth. I also have the obvious problems with germs, and needing to check that doors are locked/that I have my keys and phone, so on and so forth. I am better than I used to be: I can now step on cracks in the pavement and stuff.

I totally understand :frown: I have to do things in even numbers too. Right down to the volume the remote goes to when watching TV - it has to be in 10's, which of course means sometimes I end up watching it too loud or not loud enough. I get so frustrated with eating too, and it's so obvious when out with people. Sometimes I stay in my room for that reason alone.
Reply 6
Original post by This Honest
Hey :hi:

I don't have OCD but i would like to say that i studied it during my biology coursework AS and it was very interesting.
BUT i think i kinda have OCD too but it's quite different
It's very common though

Hey :smile: glad you find our misfortunes interesting :tongue: how different?
Original post by laut_biru
Just popping in to say best of luck with this thread VV, and well done for creating it.

:grouphugs:

Original post by Prince357
Good idea for a thread :smile: Had a pretty crappy day yesterday cos my sister messed up all my perfectly arranged stacked books and I had to spend all day sorting through and organising it again :frown:

Ahh. So sorry to hear that, and thanks. Sorry about your day. Hope today's better?
I have OCD.

I have some of your problems too :frown: I actually can't stand staying in a room with the door open, and I can't live without a sanitizer. I don't press the 'stop' bell on the bus too. I ask someone to or if they can't, I just get off at a stop people get off at and walk back :frown: Sometimes if I'm comfortable in bed, and the door is open, or I see something that bothers me, even though I try to ignore it I end up moving to fix it. I can also step on cracks and stuff too though.

Oh and I also read every line twice, so it takes me twice as long to read a book (can sometimes be helpful) :sigh:
(edited 12 years ago)
Great idea for a thread.
I used to have very major OCD, but managed to gradually work my way out of it.
Now I just have the occasional minor thing :biggrin:
Original post by ViceVersa
Hey :smile: glad you find out misfortunes interesting :tongue: how different?

Ahh. So sorry to hear that, and thanks. Sorry about your day. Hope today's better?

I have some of your problems too :frown: I actually can't stand staying in a room with the door open, and I can't live without a sanitizer. I don't press the 'stop' bell on the bus too. I ask someone to or if they can't, I just get off at a stop people get off at and walk back :frown: Sometimes if I'm comfortable in bed, and the door is open, or I see something that bothers me, even though I try to ignore it I end up moving to fix it. I can also step on cracks and stuff too though.

Oh and I also read every line twice, so it takes me twice as long to read a book (can sometimes be helpful) :sigh:

I'm exactly the same with doors being open. I like to start things on round numbers (i.e quarter past the hour, half past the hour) and can't stand being near anything that I consider to be filthy in some way shape or form. I also have to order things according to height, length and width. This is a great thread and I think that you have created a very worthwhile thread.
Reply 9
Original post by WalkerPassingby
Great idea for a thread.
I used to have very major OCD, but managed to gradually work my way out of it.
Now I just have the occasional minor thing :biggrin:

Thanks :smile: and well done that's really great to hear :hugs: hope your minor things don't bother you too much :tongue:

Original post by Anonymous
I'm exactly the same with doors being open. I like to start things on round numbers (i.e quarter past the hour, half past the hour) and can't stand being near anything that I consider to be filthy in some way shape or form. I also have to order things according to height, length and width. This is a great thread and I think that you have created a very worthwhile thread.

Glad to hear, it can get pretty frustrating. I can't stand filthy things too, sometimes even things that bother me that I think bother everyone, I find out its just me and I'm like 'oh' :erm:

Thanks for saying that, was a lil nervous to make one but glad I did :h:
Hey :smile: glad you find our misfortunes interesting :tongue: how different?

I'd rather not say but all i know is that it comes when my hair grows and when i get a haircut, i have no urge/ocd feeling.. if you know what i mean :s-smilie:
Reply 11

I'd rather not say but all i know is that it comes when my hair grows and when i get a haircut, i have no urge/ocd feeling.. if you know what i mean :s-smilie:

Ahh okay I kinda do, and yeah I understand. Hope it gets better soon though! :hugs:
Reply 12
hey VV, nice thread :tongue:

can i ask, whats it like? do you notice it, or is it just normal to you to have the compulsions?

:hugs:
Doors MUST be closed. Apart from the dining room door. That, for some reason, doesn't matter.

I have to make sure things happen at nice, round times. I'll make sure that I start cooking something at 47 past the hour if it takes 13 minutes, just so that it's ready on the hour.

Everything has to be organised. I can have things wonky, or untidy, as long as they're in the right place. If something falls on the floor, it really pisses me off.

When I'm on the computer, I can NOT work with windows that aren't maximised (I'd be screwed if I have a Mac) and I hate it when I have unnecessary windows open.

When I'm doing my work, I have to do everything in the right colour. Notes are in black. Work is in blue. Marking is in green. If I get a teacher to help me and they don't write in red, it really gets to me. I ended up getting myself a red pen just so that teachers could use that if they didn't have a red pen of their own.

I'm sure there's more, but I've done enough moaning there. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by laurie:)
hey VV, nice thread :tongue:

can i ask, whats it like? do you notice it, or is it just normal to you to have the compulsions?

:hugs:

Well firstly everyone's experience of OCD is slightly different, so I'll say what it's like for me. I find that a lot of the stuff I do notice, but sometimes there are little things I do that I always thought everyone did. I realised it wasn't normal to have compulsions because some people would tell me I seem too focused on something or distracted. Mostly its because of the uneasy/panicky/guilty/worry/anxious feeling I get. Like in year 7 I became aware of the feelings and came to the realisation some things I do are different when I refused to touch my classroom table. I mean literally, I would write in my book with my hand but not resting my arm on the table like everyone did, and I would make sure my hands/arm only touched the book and paper and nothing else. I then spent a lot of times with my head down when walking because I would try and avoid chewing gun/dirt/cracks on the floor/pavement (thankfully I've dealt with all that). I guess I've always had the anxious feeling that everything was out of my control, and so with OCD sometimes I tried to find a way to control things I had no control over/things other people didn't control. I also realised I took longer to do certain things, e.g. reading a book or going to the toilet. Anyway to me its mostly normal to focus on these things, almost like if I don't I'd feel bad/not myself or like something was overlooked. Some thoughts I have when I spot something can be really intrusive, to the point it drives me crazy. There are many times I 'train' myself to do what I think most people do but it doesn't work. I'd like to think I've improved a lot though. Hope I helped :yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Contrad!ction.
Doors MUST be closed. Apart from the dining room door. That, for some reason, doesn't matter.

I have to make sure things happen at nice, round times. I'll make sure that I start cooking something at 47 past the hour if it takes 13 minutes, just so that it's ready on the hour.

Everything has to be organised. I can have things wonky, or untidy, as long as they're in the right place. If something falls on the floor, it really pisses me off.

When I'm on the computer, I can NOT work with windows that aren't maximised (I'd be screwed if I have a Mac) and I hate it when I have unnecessary windows open.

When I'm doing my work, I have to do everything in the right colour. Notes are in black. Work is in blue. Marking is in green. If I get a teacher to help me and they don't write in red, it really gets to me. I ended up getting myself a red pen just so that teachers could use that if they didn't have a red pen of their own.

I'm sure there's more, but I've done enough moaning there. :tongue:

Doors are definitely a must.

With your round hours, can that sometimes include brushing your teeth e.t.c? Btw I hate the taste of toothpaste because I can't stand anything/taste in my mouth for so long, so I have to rinse my mouth a thousand times in the morning :sigh:

Organisation definitely. But I can allow messy, as long as like you said they are in the right place and I know where they are.

I spend hours organising all my songs on iTunes, to make sure I have the correct name, with capitals for the start (I HATE looking through someone's iPod to see all the names without capitals at the start).

I have a similar thing when I work :yep: and for some reason I can't do collaborative revision, i.e. if I'm doing biology today, then I'm doing ONLY biology all day, and if I'm doing Psychology, then its that and that only.

Always feel free to moan, its one of the uses for this thread :tongue:
Doors are definitely a must.

With your round hours, can that sometimes include brushing your teeth e.t.c? Btw I hate the taste of toothpaste because I can't stand anything/taste in my mouth for so long, so I have to rinse my mouth a thousand times in the morning :sigh:

Organisation definitely. But I can allow messy, as long as like you said they are in the right place and I know where they are.

I spend hours organising all my songs on iTunes, to make sure I have the correct name, with capitals for the start (I HATE looking through someone's iPod to see all the names without capitals at the start).

I have a similar thing when I work :yep: and for some reason I can't do collaborative revision, i.e. if I'm doing biology today, then I'm doing ONLY biology all day, and if I'm doing Psychology, then its that and that only.

Always feel free to moan, its one of the uses for this thread :tongue:

Gets frustrating when I've got into bed, look over and the door's slightly ajar. Even more annoying is that my door doesn't shut properly, and if it's windy the door creaks and opens. :angry:

Thankfully not with the teeth, as I get up about half an hour before I have to leave and end up rushing everything (I have to bath in the mornings) so I don't have the time to do that.

Oh, definitely the iTunes thing. I hate it when things come up with 'Unknown Artist' or the track number's on the title, or the tracks aren't in the right order.

I'm struggling to get revision done at all. If I start a past paper and get stuck on the question, I'll look at the mark scheme because I hate leaving questions unanswered. Then, I have to rip up my answers and bin them, even if there's only 1 question left, and put the paper at the bottom of the pile.

I always seem to moan on this forum. :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by Contrad!ction.
Gets frustrating when I've got into bed, look over and the door's slightly ajar. Even more annoying is that my door doesn't shut properly, and if it's windy the door creaks and opens. :angry:

Thankfully not with the teeth, as I get up about half an hour before I have to leave and end up rushing everything (I have to bath in the mornings) so I don't have the time to do that.

Oh, definitely the iTunes thing. I hate it when things come up with 'Unknown Artist' or the track number's on the title, or the tracks aren't in the right order.

I'm struggling to get revision done at all. If I start a past paper and get stuck on the question, I'll look at the mark scheme because I hate leaving questions unanswered. Then, I have to rip up my answers and bin them, even if there's only 1 question left, and put the paper at the bottom of the pile.

I always seem to moan on this forum. :tongue:

That is the worst! Being so comfortable and then realising the doors open. My father does that sometimes, he comes in to check what I'm up to and then doesn't close the door :facepalm: I hope you get a new door soon, do you put anything on the floor to somehow stop it?

Oh lucky you :tongue:

Thought I was the only one with the itunes :tongue: aside from the issue I already mentioned, I also have to 'rate' or 'star' every single song. I hate it not rated.

I'm sorry you're struggling with revision, so am I actually :erm: with pat papers I don't even check the mark scheme - I stay there like a useless fool and try to work through it :ashamed2:
Reply 18
Hey everyone :wavey:

I don't have OCD, but both my partner & my dad do, was initially quite confused by how different it was for both of them & it's something I'm still learning about with my partner...but hoping I'm starting to understand
Reply 19
Original post by skipp

Original post by skipp
Hey everyone :wavey:

I don't have OCD, but both my partner & my dad do, was initially quite confused by how different it was for both of them & it's something I'm still learning about with my partner...but hoping I'm starting to understand

Welcome :h: Now you're starting to understand, are you learning to cope with it more? Did you ever get annoyed with them sometimes? Hopefully this thread can better help you understand even more :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest