The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7800
I can't believe some universities have second year students clerking patients. I wouldn't have a scoobies how to do that and I shan't until fourth year at the earliest. Also agree that I didn't revise basically all of embryology last year, and probably will this year.

Khan academy is brilliant! Sometimes I think I ought to have done a mathematics degree...
Original post by Woody.
I can't believe some universities have second year students clerking patients. I wouldn't have a scoobies how to do that and I shan't until fourth year at the earliest. Also agree that I didn't revise basically all of embryology last year, and probably will this year.

Khan academy is brilliant! Sometimes I think I ought to have done a mathematics degree...

It isn't that shocking when you consider the volume of clinical skills teaching we get in the first two years of the course, and the number of stand alone OSCE stations.

I don't think PMS is quite like UEA in that aspect anyway, as Iv only clerked 2 patients and done some simple procedures in two of my GP days, so far this year. (I have another four GP days next 2 terms)

But there will be some people in my year who will get far more clinical experience this year, due to them having clinical SSC's. They will practically be clinical students and members of firms, for a three week period. I drew a shorter straw and ended up with both my SSC's this year being biomedical.

As for Embryology I still don't have a grasp of the whole process yet, and I am still too scared to spend any more time looking at it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Can I ask (mainly aimed at females), how do you deal with male patients making pervy/lewd comments?

There have been numerous times when I've been clerking or examining a patient and they've said or done something inappropriate. At the moment I just try and laugh it off, but I need to find a way to be more assertive without being rude/stopping them from co-operating with whatever I'm doing.

It's not as if they're even all young - I've had it from patients aged 70/80 :sad:

How inappropriate are we talking? I've actually found it much more common in the older men than in those closer to my own age, as the younger ones are probably a bit more embarrassed. Older men generally aren't actually trying to hit on you, but think they're being nice and charming because 50 years ago talking to women like that was not so unacceptable.

I don't get too many inappropriate comments, because I'm not very hot (especially at 3am on a medical take!) and because I try to give clear "I'm a professional" signals in what I wear and do. Think of Suzi from Junior Doctors, who complained that nobody took her seriously, but was skipping around with her pink sparkly stuff all the time, and don't do that.
Original post by crazylemon
Even we clerk patients in 2nd year and have to present them....

By clerk patient what do you actually mean?
Theres no way in second year you would be allowed to be the first to see a patient.
Personally i would be a nightmare for a second year to see.
Original post by fairy spangles
By clerk patient what do you actually mean?
Theres no way in second year you would be allowed to be the first to see a patient.
Personally i would be a nightmare for a second year to see.

I presume they mean re-clerking (i.e. taking a history +/- examination) a patient who is already admitted on a ward, rather than actually being the first person on a take to see the patient.
Original post by Medicine Man
This thread, in addition to revision for this stupid exam, is making me really miss medicine. A lot. *geek snort*

You on your iBSc? :s-smilie:
Well we were supposed to just take full history. No examination. I don't mean an actually full clerking!

That's not clerking! That's taking a history!
Feeling a little gutted having to head back on the 3rd, 2 weeks is just not enough. Although it must be said having no revision/work to do for once has been awesome.
I feel much the same.

Worse to come in 5th year :afraid:

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy clinical medicine, but it is rather tiring and it's nice to be home with the family and gf.
I have got to the point where I realise that soon the concept of long summer holidays will die. This saddens me greatly.

I miss the random days off of first year

Long summers are bye bye for me already unless I have a drastic change of heart and decide to intercalate.
Reply 7810
Original post by Mushi_master
Feeling a little gutted having to head back on the 3rd, 2 weeks is just not enough. Although it must be said having no revision/work to do for once has been awesome.

I'm looking forward to heading back just not starting placement again. I also spent a week on a medics ski trip so only had 1 week at home.
Original post by Phryx
I'm looking forward to heading back just not starting placement again. I also spent a week on a medics ski trip so only had 1 week at home.

For me it's the opposite, placement good, heading back bad.
I have one glorious 4 month summer left.

I like having free time it will sorely be missed (and is being missed this year :frown:)

I make sure I have my weekends free so I get some time off each week, gotta bust my balls somewhat to achieve that though.
Is it bad I am picking Bsc based on perceived easiness as there are none that I particularly want to do?

Considering they forced you to do one, perfectly fine.
Is it bad I am picking Bsc based on perceived easiness as there are none that I particularly want to do?

Good a reason as any as its compulsory. So glad I'm at a place where it's optional.
Reply 7815
I lose one day to dance and the other tends to be spent frantically tidying ironing and getting in supplies for the next week. Then every other weekend is a comp so that puts me even more out of kilter

So, yeah.

For xmas I asked for 5 new clinical shirts aka 1 extra week before washing!
:awesome:

I will also be filling it with as much humanities as possible!
I might take a russian module.

Although the sensible thing is to use it to churn out a paper...

Sod it, learn Russian. Something on my to-do-eventually-but-probably-never list.

What you thinking of? I have to decide on this soon...

Thoughts on global health? I'm considering applying to London as well.
I suck a languages but we have a russian oligarch who sponsors the course so it is free :biggrin:

I debated with out global health module but it lookls like haem for now. If only it was more the holiday it once was :moon: (haem because 1 day off a week and I actually like it a bit although the basic science will probably make me want to hang myself)

So do I, just think it would be cool. Then you can head to St. Petersburg to drink vodka and talk science, just like my biology teacher said I would do one day :lol:.

The only thing I really considered was Philosophy, basic sciences would kill me.
:awesome:

I will also be filling it with as much humanities as possible!
I might take a russian module.

Although the sensible thing is to use it to churn out a paper...

Do something you think you will enjoy, the perceived easy ones are usually a nightmare ff they don't interest you.

Imagine writing a paper on a subject which fills you with the complete absence of desire, I don't even like writing about a subject that I do find interesting let alone anything else.

Latest

Trending

Trending