The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7820
Original post by crazylemon
Is it bad I am picking Bsc based on perceived easiness as there are none that I particularly want to do?

nope, I'd call it wise. what are you thinking of? haem is no longer a holiday. if you want some extra free time and days off, pick global.

to carcinoma - no amount of interest can make reading papers enjoyable

unless you're interested in getting published (which is highly unlikely anyway) pick a library project for part c - it's easier to get a 1st and you can do it from home.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by buzzcat
nope, I'd call it wise. what are you thinking of? haem is no longer a holiday. if you want some extra free time and days off, pick global.

to carcinoma - no amount of interest can make reading papers enjoyable

unless you're interested in getting published (which is highly unlikely anyway) pick a library project for part c - it's easier to get a 1st and you can do it from home.

Agreed but imagine how much worse it would be if the papers were about "consumer loyalty among supermarket customers"
Reply 7822
Original post by carcinoma
Agreed but imagine how much worse it would be if the papers were about "consumer loyalty among supermarket customers"

hah true... although the free lunches from the bank poachers seems to have made up for the banality of it all.

lemon - I've heard global is actually far more interesting than any of us could possibly imagine, but each to their own... you only have time to see three BScs on the open day, so I'd really recommend (actually) researching beforehand.

one cool thing about haem is you learn about G6PD deficiency - Hannibal's nemesis; you can't eat fava beans or liver!

In neuro I've held brains and had lectures on deep brain stimulation - the workload is tiresome but that scifi aspect is what I came to imperial in search of..
(edited 12 years ago)
I go to imperial.
It has the amazing ability to suck desire out of almost any subject :wizard:

You could always intercalate externally and do a BSc in Emergency Medicine down this way. Although they do all have to go to Imperial and Newquay for the ATLS courses.

See that doesn't sound to bad...

loool, i was just more surprised that there were papers on that topic
(edited 12 years ago)
Interesting. Although it means leaving london and going back home...

Another negative is that while yes there is very little actual lecture based teaching or research, they are on clinical attachment for practically the whole year, based in Resus and ED.
So an iBSc gets you an extra 3 points on FPAS (assuming you get a 2:1, 4 for a 1st). Would this only be seen as advantageous in the most competitive fields where the smallest margins differentiate applicants? If so, what kind of fields are we talking? i guess anything surgical, but are there others?

The worst part of this is that I haven't the slightest clue what I want to do after these few years, so i can't even plan accordingly..
That could be fun. Bloody tiring I imagine

Just realised your intercalating after 3rd year right?

BSc Emergency Care only takes students after fourth year due to the amount of clinical experience needed.
Original post by Isometrix
So an iBSc gets you an extra 3 points on FPAS (assuming you get a 2:1, 4 for a 1st). Would this only be seen as advantageous in the most competitive fields where the smallest margins differentiate applicants? If so, what kind of fields are we talking? i guess anything surgical, but are there others?

The worst part of this is that I haven't the slightest clue what I want to do after these few years, so i can't even plan accordingly..

The Nottingham BMedSi will now be worth 2 points for a 2.1 and 3 points for a 1st.

Another negative is that while yes there is very little actual lecture based teaching or research, they are on clinical attachment for practically the whole year, based in Resus and ED.

See, that would be the thing that would attract me. Cba to move to Plymouth though, if it was in Exeter I'd consider it.
Original post by Mushi_master
See, that would be the thing that would attract me. Cba to move to Plymouth though, if it was in Exeter I'd consider it.

Its done at RD&E, Torbay or Derriford, hardly any time is spent in lectures/teaching.
Its done at RD&E, Torbay or Derriford, hardly any time is spent in lectures/teaching.

Interesting, Torbay would be nice too. Do you actually get a choice or is it pot luck?
Original post by Mushi_master
Interesting, Torbay would be nice too. Do you actually get a choice or is it pot luck?

I think you apply competitively for which locality then are interviewed.
I think you apply competitively for which locality then are interviewed.

Cool, cheers for the heads up. This is probably the only iBSc I will ever seriously consider, probably still unlikely I'll apply and all depends where my life is at in 4th year.
Just realised how utterly scary my assessments look when they are written down :eek:

Year 1 & 2:
8 Progress Tests
1 End of Year 1 Knowledge Test
15 Clinical Competencies/Stand alone OSCE stations
1 ISCE/OSCE
4 SSC's
24 Professionalism Judgements
4 Reflective Essays

Year 3 & 4:
8 Progress Tests
15 Clinical Competencies/Stand alone OSCE stations
1 ISCE/OSCE
8 SSC's
42 Professionalism Judgements
4 Reflective Essays

Year 5:
4 Progress Tests
6 POISE/"MiniCEX"
18 Work-based competency's
7 Clinical Competencies/Stand alone OSCE stations
16 Professionalism Judgements
2 Reflective Essays
Reply 7834
The Nottingham BMedSi will now be worth 2 points for a 2.1 and 3 points for a 1st.

Does that mean a MMedSci equals 4 points whatever the classification?
Original post by Phryx
Does that mean a MMedSci equals 4 points whatever the classification?

From what I gathared only if it extends the length of the PMQ.

Here is the full document: http://www.isfp.org.uk/Documents/EPM_Framework_July2011.pdf
From what I gathared only if it extends the length of the PMQ.

Here is the full document: http://www.isfp.org.uk/Documents/EPM_Framework_July2011.pdf

Oh god they rank you according to how well you've done at medschool? why do i feel like i should have known this. Ah well time to up my game.
Original post by Isometrix
Oh god they rank you according to how well you've done at medschool? why do i feel like i should have known this. Ah well time to up my game.

lol

For us each year counts differently towards the ranking:
Yr 1 & 2 - 33%
Yr 3 - 33%
Yr 4 - 33%

(its funny but why would someone neg you for that)

I don't know how we are ranked.
But we don't really know where we are although I suspect I am 2nd decile.

Last year I was definitely in the top 50%. Written exam had me in the top 7%, but other stuff will have dragged me down to ~top 30% maybe?

Although our first year is only worth 10% when it comes to deciling :emo:
Reply 7839
for us its:
1st: 10%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 60%.

Not looking forward to this years exams....

Latest

Trending

Trending