The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eco1234
unlucky, i hear they take so few ... so i am awaiting rejection too

out of interest on your Deutsche bank application page, where it has the blue lines linking the stage of your application does it/did it say 'interview process' ?

It did say "interview process" yes, so I thought I may have been safe, but apparently not. I applied for the CIB: Corporate Finance division.

When did you apply? I did the test on the 21st but it didn't go horrifically badly I don't think, so this seems like quite a fast reply. Must have been something they didn't like!
Reply 1881
Original post by Outsanity
It did say "interview process" yes, so I thought I may have been safe, but apparently not. I applied for the CIB: Corporate Finance division.

When did you apply? I did the test on the 21st but it didn't go horrifically badly I don't think, so this seems like quite a fast reply. Must have been something they didn't like!

Ok thanks :smile: I applied for CIB: corporate finance division too and did the tests on the 20th so might hear soon! thought the test went ok but definitely not full marks perhaps 18ish
Original post by Hackett
ah i see, well you have nothing to lose in applying!

It may as you say change your view, and if it does and you do decide that IB/finance is where you want to work, you could also tie in your interest with develpment economics and finance. Next year I am doing an internship at an investment banks which only focuses on low - income countries, Ghana, bangladesh etc.

But I guess it depends on you really, I persnally like the link between economics and finance whilst some just enjoy the economics straight up, If you see where I am coming from.

I see where you're coming from - I myself have no hesitations with working in the financial sector - it's just IB specifically (the culture, hours etc). Last Summer I spent a couple of weeks in a relatively young hedge fund and the environment was pretty chilled - they'd come in around 7.30am and leave by around 6pm, 6.30pm latest. That may seem like quite a long time, but they'd take long lunch hours, long phone calls, regular breaks. Then you realise that these guys are in their 40's and they've already spent 20+ years in IB before making the jump across, something that I wouldn't be willing to do. The work at the big 4 seems like a good balance in comparison - excellent pay and not bad hours.

Hopefully I'll do well enough in my undergrad to leave my options open for a good economics-related master's programme.
Reply 1883
Original post by Hackett
ah i see, well you have nothing to lose in applying!

It may as you say change your view, and if it does and you do decide that IB/finance is where you want to work, you could also tie in your interest with develpment economics and finance. Next year I am doing an internship at an investment banks which only focuses on low - income countries, Ghana, bangladesh etc.

But I guess it depends on you really, I persnally like the link between economics and finance whilst some just enjoy the economics straight up, If you see where I am coming from.

cool, what is the name of this investment bank?
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
I know this'll sound blasphemous, but who here doesn't see investment banking as their 1st career choice?

Yeah to be fair I completely agree with you! The idea of spending my precious youth locked up in an office 100 hours a week really doesn't appeal to me, however good the money might be! I guess I just want to experience it, and the work experience might look good for other careers!
Original post by M.R.
cool, what is the name of this investment bank?

lol - whats in it for me? It's a small boutique.
Original post by shaz111
Yeah to be fair I completely agree with you! The idea of spending my precious youth locked up in an office 100 hours a week really doesn't appeal to me, however good the money might be! I guess I just want to experience it, and the work experience might look good for other careers!

Exactly my line of thought :smile: Doubt I'll get onto any SW's though - I didn't attend a single IB networking event/presentation last term, and I've done very very little research on the industry. Really should have, but like I said before, I have no motivation to work in IB so it seemed like a lot of effort at the time. Just doing the applications was tiring!
I know this'll sound blasphemous, but who here doesn't see investment banking as their 1st career choice?

:hello:

With you all the way in this, buddy. Only really applying to Spring Weeks for the experience and to see what a career in IB is like.
It's not the sort of environment that I see myself thriving in.

Me neither, whilst I am massively interested in the field I only intend to stay in for no more than 3 years (if I even get in). Whatever money I make I would like to have the time to fully enjoy it. But even if I were to accept the long hours and difficult lifestyle, my character doesn't allow me to be scolded at and take **** from others. You really have to bite your tongue and sometimes be treated like a second-class citizen by seniors and clients. Not happening.

But I might change my views once I get too used to the pay cheques.

You can never get too used to them :colone:
To everyone else, I submitted my RBS app at 2:30 in the morning, took the logical test 2 hours ago and got their "you have met our requirements" email 30 mins ago. Pretty damn quick!

Regarding the logical test, it wasn't hard per se, just really weird. I wonder how low the pass mark is...
Original post by Doughnuts!!
To everyone else, I submitted my RBS app at 2:30 in the morning, took the logical test 2 hours ago and got their "you have met our requirements" email 30 mins ago. Pretty damn quick!

Regarding the logical test, it wasn't hard per se, just really weird. I wonder how low the pass mark is...

How about the numerical, how did you find it?
Is there any advantages to applicants from Uni's where the bank is a sponser for their Finance related Societies at all? Just been on my mind for a while

Also, did a quick check on all my remaining applications, I applied to DB Start up Scholarship and I received no reply from them since, and according to my app, they sent me an invite to tests but they've expired?? I received no email with the test invite. Will have to call them up.
Original post by soczek322
How about the numerical, how did you find it?

Didn't get an invite to a numerical? I think that it may only be Markets that does a numerical?
Reply 1893
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot
Is there any advantages to applicants from Uni's where the bank is a sponser for their Finance related Societies at all? Just been on my mind for a while

Also, did a quick check on all my remaining applications, I applied to DB Start up Scholarship and I received no reply from them since, and according to my app, they sent me an invite to tests but they've expired?? I received no email with the test invite. Will have to call them up.

I received an invite for numerical for the scholarship ages after i sent my app but i did get an email, check your junk?
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Didn't get an invite to a numerical? I think that it may only be Markets that does a numerical?

Yeah if you got the successful email without the numerical test invite then i guess so...

Original post by AndersonsBentFoot

Check your KPMG app, they haven't sent any emails but the test link is online now and it says you have 7 days to complete the test, not sure since when
Original post by Hackett
lol - whats in it for me? It's a small boutique.

Although it's understandable, this is the kind of attitude I hate amongst some wannabe investment bankers.

If you already have the internship, why is it an issue at all for you to let him know which one it is?

I can understand maybe you're worried if more start applying whilst you just applied. But if you got it, what does it matter?

In general, to be honest, too many are bastards. Not saying you are, but damn! We're meant to be helping each other out to an extent.

So much secrecy and all this crap.
Original post by soczek322
Check your KPMG app, they haven't sent any emails but the test link is online now and it says you have 7 days to complete the test, not sure since when

I got the KPMG test too. Luckily I checked my KPMG app today, otherwise I probably would have missed the deadline to complete the test.
I am guessing we have 7 days from the day they sent the email confirming receipt of application.

Has anyone done the KPMG situational judgement test?
Original post by Michael XYZ
Although it's understandable, this is the kind of attitude I hate amongst some wannabe investment bankers.

If you already have the internship, why is it an issue at all for you to let him know which one it is?

I can understand maybe you're worried if more start applying whilst you just applied. But if you got it, what does it matter?

In general, to be honest, too many are bastards. Not saying you are, but damn! We're meant to be helping each other out to an extent.

So much secrecy and all this crap.

anonymity. thats why.

Helping out each other on small hiccups on application forms, yes - but not giving out company names to strangers I don't know, who could equally get hold of the peoples names.
(edited 12 years ago)
Has anyone done the numerical for DB? How was it?
Original post by cookiebiscuit
I got the KPMG test too. Luckily I checked my KPMG app today, otherwise I probably would have missed the deadline to complete the test.
I am guessing we have 7 days from the day they sent the email confirming receipt of application.

Has anyone done the KPMG situational judgement test?

Yes, it's ridiculously boring. I had an email saying I passed the situational test and I've just finished the verbal and numerical tests, for the second time :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending