The Student Room Group

Formal reports?!

Heya,

I've written a little piece about how to write a formal report :smile:
It covers what should be included in each section and a few tips on the style of writing.

Check it out: How To Write A Formal Report

Tell me what you think!!
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
come on guys!!
Reply 3
Haven't read all of it, but it's nicely laid out and the beginning bit sounded good! Might read your piece of procrastination though...:smile:
Reply 4
Thanks!!!
Possibly you procrastinated reading it all :P
poor joke i know

But thanks for taking a look!! Keep checking it for updates!
Reply 5
Anyone else want to have a read?
Reply 6
megabump!!!!
Original post by Cartesian_
megabump!!!!

Do you mean a university level report or a sixth form level report?
Reply 8
Original post by toronto353
Do you mean a university level report or a sixth form level report?

It is targeted at sixth form but it certainly contains the bare bones for university level. I've found that they both follow very similar styles
It is targeted at sixth form but it certainly contains the bare bones for university level. I've found that they both follow very similar styles

I've requested a thread move for you as I think that this might be better in the Maths, Science and Technology Academic Help Subforum. You don't need to make a new thread there as someone will move this one. I would perhaps alter the title of this thread to make it clear that you are offering advice on formal reports and say what type of reports you mean - this might attract new viewers who can help you.
Heya,

I've written a little piece about how to write a formal report :smile:
It covers what should be included in each section and a few tips on the style of writing.

Check it out: How To Write A Formal Report

Tell me what you think!!

Good advice.
Just one small point...
You recommend
"Write in the past tense."
The formal tense you recommend is called the "passive".
In the example you quote...

Instead of writing ‘I next went on to test the hypothesis…’ it should read, The hypothesis was then tested…’

...the "incorrect" example is actually written in the past tense. It should have been written in the past passive.

It's a minor point but worth mentioning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending