The Student Room Group

GCSEs are an utter joke

Does anybody else agree GCSE's are a complete pisstake?

They are far too easy, you can practically turn up on the day and get an A* using common sense.

IMO they definitely need to make them far, far more difficult, to separate people with intelligence from people with common sense.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aldridge

They are far too easy, you can practically turn up on the day and get an A* using common sense.

IMO they definitely need to make them far, far more difficult, to separate people with intelligence from people with common sense.

Finally someone who thinks like me....

Yes I agree, they are a complete piss take, most of them you can just turn up with no revision whatsoever A* (like Maths, French, Biology, Geography etc). And it just makes a complete mockery of the system.

They need to be made sooo much harder.

FFS i took a GCSE in Italian with no knowledge of italian and got an A*

It is a complete piss take and makes all grades worthless.
You're an utter joke
This isn't news.
Reply 4
Original post by Chuck Norris
You're an utter joke

Are you referring to me?
Reply 5
It's GCSE's not a levels. Chillax.
No-one can turn up on the day and get an A*

That's stupid. I'd get an E if I did that. However with a little work you can get an A*.

In fact I never even got one A* at GCSE and I worked my butt off! GCSEs are so much about being smart, it's more being able to remember answers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude

English Language.

:holmes:
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude

That's stupid. I'd get an E if I did that. However with a little work you can get an A*.

For a joke go into a Biology/Geography exam with no revision and you will cruise an A*.

The subjects are soo ridiculously easy, dont get me on to Maths/Languages - I could have done Maths GCSE at the age of 8 and French/Spanish/Latin at 11.

THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE
I agree. For example in Chemistry last year (and RS in fact), I literally didn't understand/listen to most of the stuff we were doing in class. I did a couple of hours of revision the night before each of these exams and still managed to get A*s with relative ease. The maths grade boundaries were also very low, you could lose forty out of two hundred marks and yet still get an A*. Just doing a bit of working/showing some method for every question would probably get you over the A* boundary.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Just goes to show how detached TSR is from real life. Maybe the OP is true for a select elite of students, but for the vast majority, it really isn't.
Reply 11
Original post by Aldridge

I agree they are much easier than lets say A Levels, or IGCSEs, but they aren't that easy. They still require some form of work/revision, albeit less than A Levels. The key thing is for a lot of topics you need to know, rather than understand.
Reply 12
Wow I wish I could be as clever as the OP :frown: :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by Sabster
For a joke go into a Biology/Geography exam with no revision and you will cruise an A*.

The subjects are soo ridiculously easy, dont get me on to Maths/Languages - I could have done Maths GCSE at the age of 8 and French/Spanish/Latin at 11.

THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE

Geography GCSE is a fantastic example, it is basically entirely common sense. You can make up material to use in the exam and get credit for it. And this is supposed to be an academic subject.. outrageous.
GCSE, basically to educate everyone; everyone HAS to do it, there'll be basic knowledge... for example most people in the UK will have basic English, Maths and Science skills...

Enough maths to calculate a shopping list, enough English to read instructions on how to vote in x factor and enough science to pro-create :L

If you want the MAJORITY (not all) of the decent jobs, A Levels and University are the key...
(edited 12 years ago)
Well a lot of people take that attitude into A Levels and don't do well. Since they matter more when it comes to university applications I don't think it matters as much as you're making it out to be.

Although I do wish they were a bit more challenging.
Whilst I agree with you, people will think you're being obnoxious by the way you have worded it. I do agree though. Everybody should be pushed to reach their full potential, I don't think the most able students are though.

You could perhaps look at this from another perspective. Because employers/universities have realised that they're not challenging to the most able students, they require much more from them as a result (better A-Levels/better degree).
Original post by erniiee
I agree they are much easier than lets say A Levels, or IGCSEs, but they aren't that easy. They still require some form of work/revision, albeit less than A Levels. The key thing is for a lot of topics you need to know, rather than understand.

Congratulations on your A in additional Mathematics.

**** me you must be stupid.
Reply 18
Original post by Sabster
Congratulations on your A in additional Mathematics.

**** me you must be stupid.

Well, Additional Maths is actually pretty hard..the exam we sat was a biiitch and a half.

I have to say, RS was pretty easy. I disagree about English Language though.

Are you doing your GCSEs at the moment?
Original post by erniiee
Well, Additional Maths is actually pretty hard..the exam we sat was a biiitch and a half.

I have to say, RS was pretty easy. I disagree about English Language though.

Are you doing your GCSEs at the moment?

Additional maths is one of those exams that, the freaks who think that they are clever because they can work hard and get grades, are shown up.

No i did them years ago.

Quick Reply

Latest