The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by derangedyoshi

Hey :smile: I'm just trying not to think too much about January... :P

I don't think I'd be terribly upset if I didn't get in - I think I'd be happy at any of the unis I've applied to. I would really like an offer from Cambridge though. It's so difficult to judge how well the interviews went! So I'm just going to wait and see I think. No idea what my chances are.

And yeah - one of my friends was basically detained in Oxford for 3 days so she could have 4 interviews, only 2 of which were actually at the college she applied to. I think I'd prefer Cambridge's system tbh. I was really nervous before my first interview and I was just thinking stuff like "In 3 hours it will all be over" and so on - I don't think it would have helped if that had been 3 days :P

I guess, in a way, it might be nice to be rejected because you'd get to find where you went wrong. I mean, yes, the interviews are impossible to call. I'm guessing we probably had a lot of the same questions and so they'll have a good basis of comparison. To be vague, I don't think there was nearly enough calculus.
Original post by Edwin Okli
I guess, in a way, it might be nice to be rejected because you'd get to find where you went wrong. I mean, yes, the interviews are impossible to call. I'm guessing we probably had a lot of the same questions and so they'll have a good basis of comparison. To be vague, I don't think there was nearly enough calculus.

Yeah, I suppose... I'd probably rather get an offer though! :P
I'd probably agree about the calculus - STEP excels there though, because the calculus questions in STEP are awesome.

Yeah, I suppose... I'd probably rather get an offer though! :P
I'd probably agree about the calculus - STEP excels there though, because the calculus questions in STEP are awesome.

I'll have to give them a look at some point then. :smile: The thing is, I was told that Maths interviews are all about assessing whether it would be worth you taking STEP. If they can see you doing well in STEP, they'll give you an offer.
I'll have to give them a look at some point then. :smile: The thing is, I was told that Maths interviews are all about assessing whether it would be worth you taking STEP. If they can see you doing well in STEP, they'll give you an offer.

Yeah, I suppose - the interview questions and the STEP questions are a totally different style though! For example, I got asked a mechanics question at interview, and I am almost certainly going to avoid the mechanics section of STEP, because the Scottish maths courses have next to no applied maths. I was basically using AH Physics just to do the interview mechanics question... :L

Really? That may be why they sounded pleasantly surprised when I mentioned I was working on STEP and doing pretty well.

EDIT: Wow, sorry guys. Better now?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Xero Xenith
Really? That may be why they sounded pleasantly surprised when I mentioned I was working on STEP and doing pretty well.

Should have told them my timed past paper result... ah well :colondollar: (a 1 in STEP I 2008, after a few months practise)

I wouldn't expect it to make too much of a difference. I had grade 1 in STEP when I applied but that didn't get me an offer.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
I wouldn't expect it to make too much of a difference. I had grade 1 in STEP when I applied but that didn't get me an offer.

Ahh, I see. Fair enough then :smile:

Yeah, I suppose - the interview questions and the STEP questions are a totally different style though! For example, I got asked a mechanics question at interview, and I am almost certainly going to avoid the mechanics section of STEP, because the Scottish maths courses have next to no applied maths. I was basically using AH Physics just to do the interview mechanics question... :L

I didn't have any applied questions since when I was asked if I had done something in Mechanics or Physics I looked at them blanky.

Was it just basic Newtonian dynamics…?
Original post by BeccaCath94
Ooh well done :smile: Mines for G1R2 - Maths and German....although im regretting the german part now!!!
Aww i'm sure they wont.... :smile:
I've got offers from heriot-watt, liverpool and lancaster and have an open day at sheffield then will get an offer...just leeds left :smile:

Where are you hoping to go? I think I'm going to firm Lancaster :biggrin:
And I'm sure that if you went and said that you weren't keen on doing the german part any more, they'd let you swap to just Maths on it's own!
:smile:
I didn't have any applied questions since when I was asked if I had done something in Mechanics or Physics I looked at them blanky.

Was it just basic Newtonian dynamics…?

Err... don't want to give away too much detail... :P

It needed AH Physics stuff. To be fair I suppose they might have checked my SAQ and they'd have seen that I had done the area it was about in Physics, but I would have had no chance of doing the question without Physics.
Original post by rachaelizabeth
Where are you hoping to go? I think I'm going to firm Lancaster :biggrin:
And I'm sure that if you went and said that you weren't keen on doing the german part any more, they'd let you swap to just Maths on it's own!
:smile:

I would like to firm lancaster but my 2nd choice - Leeds - has higher entry requirements so if i get an offer from there that'll be my firm and lancaster insurance..... :/
Yeah true!! Although lancaster does things a little differently in that you take 3 things in first year and can choose your course at the end....so i'd do maths, german and something else... :smile:
Whats your course?

Err... don't want to give away too much detail... :P

It needed AH Physics stuff. To be fair I suppose they might have checked my SAQ and they'd have seen that I had done the area it was about in Physics, but I would have had no chance of doing the question without Physics.

Well now I'm going to have to study the AH Physics specification. I think the questions were pretty standard so they were relying on people having studied Mechanics or being in the process of studying Physics (since most Maths applicants seem to take Physics. Hey, I'm an exception).
Well now I'm going to have to study the AH Physics specification. I think the questions were pretty standard so they were relying on people having studied Mechanics or being in the process of studying Physics (since most Maths applicants seem to take Physics. Hey, I'm an exception).

Yeah, true, most people would probably have Physics if they're applying for Cambridge. There's one other person in my year at school who's applying for maths and I don't even know if she did Higher Physics... but then I don't think she's applying for anywhere that interviews.
Reply 4133
Any actuarial applicants?
Original post by CloClo7

Not specifically but I might look into doing modules in it whilst at uni in my maths degree.
Why have you applied to do actuarial science?
My mum works with actuaries :smile:
Not long till the January deadline now! Time has gone by so fast! Hopefully there will be some offers flooding through after that date for all of us =)
Reply 4136
Anyone heard anything more from Durham or know when they start giving out offers??
Also would anyone like to make my feel better by saying they got a graphic calculator for Christmas too? It is so much fun! :smile:
Reply 4137
Original post by 1sas09
Anyone heard anything more from Durham or know when they start giving out offers??
Also would anyone like to make my feel better by saying they got a graphic calculator for Christmas too? It is so much fun! :smile:

In past years, Durham (and Imperial) have seemingly given offers and rejections out in the first few months to people they're certain about, and waited until all other applications have come in before deciding on the rest in ~March.
Original post by CloClo7

Yep:smile: I've got a conditional offer from Leeds so far :biggrin:
Original post by s4shu101
Yep:smile: I've got a conditional offer from Leeds so far :biggrin:

Well done!
I really want an offer from leeds but so far only have an acknowledgement.....i've got 3 offers and an invite to a visit day with an offer after :smile:

Latest