The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3700
Original post by adamrules247
Hi guys :hi: Sorry I've been so distracted as of late! First things first, I am becoming a Catholic, God Willing, on Sunday.

Allelulia! :congrats:
What an absolutely fabulous start to 2012 for you. The first day of the new year too. No late night partying tonught for you, I guess. We'll raise a glass or three to you at midnight...along with a prayer for your completeness as a fully-fledged Catholic. :dancing2:

The_Lonely_Goatherd
Nuns have a responsibility to teach orthodox views to those around them :yes:

I attended a training session at a famous Priory with my sister a couple of years ago. It was for spiritual meditation and I found it very helpful in regards facing stressful situations. It was run by a couple of nuns from an Order that I have connections with in the educational field.

At the conclusion, they advised they were doing another training course on 'Enneagrams' and encouraged us to attend. My sister was interested so I decided to be a bit of research on the matter before signing up for the course. When I did I was disconcerted to find that Pope John Paul II had advised Catholics not to have anything to do with the programme as the 'spirituality' was suspect and went against the Church's teachings on the uniqueness of every individual human being created by God.
The advice of Pope John Paul II who said on Nov. 1st, 1982: "Any method of prayer is valid insofar as it is inspired by Christ and leads to Christ who is the Way, the Truth, and the Life (John 14:6)." The Enneagram, an occult pagan tool, is focused on self and therefore leads us away from the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Have nothing to do with the Enneagram.

My biggest fear was that they would use their position as teachers to propogate this to students. It was very fortunate that I knew the England Prioress of this Order and so was able to express my misgivings to her directly, and also quote the worries expressed by the late Pope. The outcome was that the training session was cancelled and has not been repeated in England to my knowledge!

Aula
Out of interest, where is the proper place for the tabernacle, and where was it before?

The 1917 version of the Code of Canon Law states under canon 1268

§1. The most holy Eucharist cannot be kept continually, that is, habitually, except on only one altar of the church.

§2. It shall be kept in the most excellent and the most noble place of the church and therefore regularly on the major altar unless it seems that the veneration and cult of such a sacrament is more convenient and decent elsewhere, observing the prescriptions of liturgical law, which pertain to the final days of the great week.

§3. But in cathedral churches or in collegial or conventual ones in which choral functions are conducted at the main altar, lest ecclesiastical officials be impeded, it is opportune that the most holy Eucharist not regularly be kept at the major altar but in another chapel or altar.

§4. Let rectors of churches take care that the altar in which the most holy Sacrament is reserved be decorated above all the others so that by this appearance the faithful be moved to greater piety and devotion.
In ordinary Parish churches, the tabernacle should be placed within the sanctuary...at the back of the altar.

In Cathedrals, it can be placed in a side altar, eg Lady Chapel, so as to allow free movement of choir and Church officials on the main altar.

Adam...#4 makes the same point as you did on another thread when someone criticised the Catholic Church for having particularly beautiful church buildings.:wink:

God bless you all. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
That's good to hear that your advice to the nuns was taken seriously, yawn :smile:

I am now an honorary big sister! My tutor Alex has had her baby! :woo: :yeah: :woo: :love: Thanks for praying, everyone :grouphugs:
Reply 3702
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
That's good to hear that your advice to the nuns was taken seriously, yawn :smile:

I am now an honorary big sister! My tutor Alex has had her baby! :woo: :yeah: :woo: :love: Thanks for praying, everyone :grouphugs:

Thank God (and St. Gerard Majella) she had a safe delivery...and a special prayer to St. Brigid of Ireland, patron saint of new born babies.

Oh, and congratulations to you too on your new little sister. :biggrin:
Reply 3703

Congratulations! Doing much tonight for New Year's Eve?

I pray that the new year is one full of blessings and comfort for you all. God bless
Original post by yawn
Thank God (and St. Gerard Majella) she had a safe delivery...and a special prayer to St. Brigid of Ireland, patron saint of new born babies.

Oh, and congratulations to you too on your new little sister. :biggrin:

Original post by Message
Congratulations! Doing much tonight for New Year's Eve?

I pray that the new year is one full of blessings and comfort for you all. God bless

Thanks guys :biggrin: I'm so happy! :woo: :love: :woo:

A quiet NYE this end. My dad wants to go into Central to see the fireworks but I don't think that the crowds would be good for my psychosis :nah:

Congratulations! :smile::smile: I hope all are well. :h:
I'm glad you're making progress too :smile:
Reply 3706

Original post by yawn
The 1917 version of the Code of Canon Law states under canon 1268
In ordinary Parish churches, the tabernacle should be placed within the sanctuary...at the back of the altar.

In Cathedrals, it can be placed in a side altar, eg Lady Chapel, so as to allow free movement of choir and Church officials on the main altar.

God bless you all. :smile:

Good, that's what I thought, and I'm a little confused about where else it could have been.

That's great news TLG!

Original post by Pandora.
I really need to stop being such a bitter, jealous person. It's such an ugly characteristic, and is something I'm working on. It pains me how open minded I am to new people and how much I believe that everyone is lovely, and as soon as I see that they're better than me in some way I just can't take it. This makes me sound like a horrible person, but honestly I'm not - I try to be the best person I can make myself, but everytime something good happens it just feels like there's a weight on my back which is stopping me from being able to truly appreciate people for who they are. Are there are particular passages in the Bible which could offer me some guidance? I find it difficult to progress to greater things while a small, bad part of me is holding me back. :frown:

The fact that you're admitting this is a wonderful start. I think everyone does this to an extent. I know I do sometimes :colondollar: But try and remember that it's good for your humility to remember that you're not the best at things. But more importantly, that God loves you just the way you are, and He's given you your talents and graces as a gift for you to help you to be the person He wants you to be.

Someone once suggested to me that when you feel jealous at someone's achievements, try and go so far the other side that you overcome it. The example he gave was that he'd just started at uni, and as a pretty good musician he thought he'd have no problems in getting into orchestras and ensembles, but unfortunately that year didn't really get into any of the ones he wanted. A friend on his corridor had got the lead part in the freshers play and initially he was jealous, but then he went out and bought a big cake to help her celebrate, and then he didn't feel so bad about what had happened to him. I did a similar thing at results time at uni last year, I failed my dissertation, and therefore was awarded an unclassified degree, whilst a ridiculous number of my friends had got 1sts (stupid scientists :grumble: :tongue:). In my room I had a bottle of champagne which I'd been waiting for a good excuse to open, and kept forgetting at events like my birthday or Christmas, so decided to open it to celebrate them. Whilst it didn't entirely make the jealousy go away, it certainly helped and I had a great evening, which otherwise I would probably have spent hiding in my room.

I feel like I've just rambled a huge amount, so apologies if it doesn't make much sense :colondollar:
Original post by Aula
The fact that you're admitting this is a wonderful start. I think everyone does this to an extent. I know I do sometimes :colondollar: But try and remember that it's good for your humility to remember that you're not the best at things. But more importantly, that God loves you just the way you are, and He's given you your talents and graces as a gift for you to help you to be the person He wants you to be.

Someone once suggested to me that when you feel jealous at someone's achievements, try and go so far the other side that you overcome it. The example he gave was that he'd just started at uni, and as a pretty good musician he thought he'd have no problems in getting into orchestras and ensembles, but unfortunately that year didn't really get into any of the ones he wanted. A friend on his corridor had got the lead part in the freshers play and initially he was jealous, but then he went out and bought a big cake to help her celebrate, and then he didn't feel so bad about what had happened to him. I did a similar thing at results time at uni last year, I failed my dissertation, and therefore was awarded an unclassified degree, whilst a ridiculous number of my friends had got 1sts (stupid scientists :grumble: :tongue:). In my room I had a bottle of champagne which I'd been waiting for a good excuse to open, and kept forgetting at events like my birthday or Christmas, so decided to open it to celebrate them. Whilst it didn't entirely make the jealousy go away, it certainly helped and I had a great evening, which otherwise I would probably have spent hiding in my room.

I feel like I've just rambled a huge amount, so apologies if it doesn't make much sense :colondollar:

Thanks for your lovely reply - I deleted my post because I felt in a better mood than I did earlier, and I wish I hadn't done it now. :colondollar: I might do something daft like write your sentence about God giving me my talents on a post it note and stick it on my door so that I always remember. :smile:

They're lovely examples, I'll remember them everytime I feel that way. Negative feelings never sort anything out :no:

That made perfect sense, thank you! :smile: I assume you're redoing your dissertation? The best of luck with that :smile::smile:
Congratulations! :smile::smile: I hope all are well. :h:
I'm glad you're making progress too :smile:

Thank you :biggrin:

Remember that some people are better than you at certain things because we are all unique individuals. You are better at lots of people at lots of things that you wouldn't even think of! :hugs:
Reply 3709

Thanks for your lovely reply - I deleted my post because I felt in a better mood than I did earlier, and I wish I hadn't done it now. :colondollar: I might do something daft like write your sentence about God giving me my talents on a post it note and stick it on my door so that I always remember. :smile:

They're lovely examples, I'll remember them everytime I feel that way. Negative feelings never sort anything out :no:

That made perfect sense, thank you! :smile: I assume you're redoing your dissertation? The best of luck with that :smile::smile:

You're very welcome. If you'd like me to delete your post from mine I'm quite happy to do so. I know I've posted and deleted a few times :mmm:
Writing it, or something similar up somewhere is a very good idea. My mirror is surrounded by various quotes and Bible passages. This is the first year I've done anything like it though (I'm working at a Catholic youth retreat centre this year, so I'm surrounded by these things more in daily life than I have been before too).
Negative feelings are fine, and sometimes even healthy. But when you let them take over your life you need to watch out. I think sometimes they can be a sign that it's something you need to keep an eye on. But glad I could help :h:

Yeah, I got a concession to redo it this year, so I'm having fun trying to fit it in with a (probably more than) full time job :erm:
Thank you :biggrin:

Remember that some people are better than you at certain things because we are all unique individuals. You are better at lots of people at lots of things that you wouldn't even think of! :hugs:

I'll just have to find those talents then! Thanks :hugs:

Original post by Aula
You're very welcome. If you'd like me to delete your post from mine I'm quite happy to do so. I know I've posted and deleted a few times :mmm:
Writing it, or something similar up somewhere is a very good idea. My mirror is surrounded by various quotes and Bible passages. This is the first year I've done anything like it though (I'm working at a Catholic youth retreat centre this year, so I'm surrounded by these things more in daily life than I have been before too).
Negative feelings are fine, and sometimes even healthy. But when you let them take over your life you need to watch out. I think sometimes they can be a sign that it's something you need to keep an eye on. But glad I could help :h:

Yeah, I got a concession to redo it this year, so I'm having fun trying to fit it in with a (probably more than) full time job :erm:

It's fine, you can keep it in. :smile:
I might just do that! It's always helpful to have some form of quick reassurance whenever you feel in need, to stop the problem spreading further.

Ah, I'm sure you'll be able to do it! :h: Happy new year to you! :smile:

Happy new year to all! :smile:
I'll just have to find those talents then! Thanks :hugs:

I pray that 2012 is a year in which you will discover a lot of positive things about yourself :hugs:

A very happy, blessed, spiritual, healthy, prosperous and industrious new year to you all! Especially praying for Adam at this wonderful time :smile:
Reply 3712
I pray that 2012 is a year in which you will discover a lot of positive things about yourself :hugs:

A very happy, blessed, spiritual, healthy, prosperous and industrious new year to you all! Especially praying for Adam at this wonderful time :smile:

Happy new year everybody! God bless!
Reply 3713
I have so much hope for the future of the Catholic Church right now :awesome:
Original post by Aula

Oooh, what's inspired this happiness? :biggrin:
Original post by yawn
Allelulia! :congrats:
What an absolutely fabulous start to 2012 for you. The first day of the new year too. No late night partying tonught for you, I guess. We'll raise a glass or three to you at midnight...along with a prayer for your completeness as a fully-fledged Catholic. :dancing2:

)

Well I partook in the Sacraments of Confirmation and the Eucharist, and it was the most amazing thing you can imagine! Just phenomenal! I had an earlyish night, had to spend time getting my suit ready :colondollar: And thank you for your prayers! I had so many people praying for me, it was amazing. A Bishop, a load of priests, some nuns, my friends, plus various other people.

I'd be interested in hearing the rationale for keeping confessors and spiritual directors separate, if you know it. On Catholic Answers they all seem to think it's good to have them as the same person, so you can confess during the spiritual direction session if necessary. It sounds like I might already be having spiritual direction then, from what you have described :smile:

I basically read somewhere that it's good that they can view you totally through an objective lense. I'm not sure whether I'll combine the roles. I'm still a tad unsure what exactly a spiritual director is tbh.

One thing I forgot to say earlier was that I'm surprised you still haven't got an official uni chaplain yet. It's great that you can go to the old one though :smile:

I know, right! Hopefully when we get a new Bishop (I've had advice to pray very hard over the next month) they'll sort it out.

Dodgy nun sounds dodgy! What did she say when you gave her the highlighted excerpts? :teehee:

She thanked us and said she'd read it. We mostly exchanged pleasantires with one and another. Here's an event she did. You'll agree it looks dodgy.

Original post by Aula

'grats Adam on almost being at the stage of being received into the church.
Apparently the Bishop of Shrewsbury tends to remember everyone's names. :yep: I think I've met him, but I met several bishops briefly during WYD. Shrewsbury were staying in the same accommodation as us, and I think he was there at some point, but I'm not sure :colondollar:
Out of interest, where is the proper place for the tabernacle, and where was it before?

Well as you can see above, it was amazing! Bishop Davies is a truly humble and holy man. The sort of chap who I think may one day be canonised.

The tabernacle should properly be found in the middle of the Church in Sactury. However, many, for some reason, object to this.

Original post by Aula

As do I :party: How come you do, though?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3716
Original post by adamrules247
Well I partook in the Sacraments of Confirmation and the Eucharist, and it was the most amazing thing you can imagine! Just phenomenal! I had an earlyish night, had to spend time getting my suit ready :colondollar: And thank you for your prayers! I had so many people praying for me, it was amazing. A Bishop, a load of priests, some nuns, my friends, plus various other people.

Congratulations! I am so pleased it went so well!

God bless!
Reply 3717
Hi everybody - I hope you are all well

I was wondering if you could all say a little prayer for me and my RCIA group, as this Sunday our we take a pretty big step. We are going to taking part in the Rite of Acceptance service. Thank you!
Original post by Message
Hi everybody - I hope you are all well

I was wondering if you could all say a little prayer for me and my RCIA group, as this Sunday our we take a pretty big step. We are going to taking part in the Rite of Acceptance service. Thank you!

Of course! Prayer said for you :hugs: May I ask what happens in the Rite of Acceptance service? Being a cradle Catholic, I've no idea :ninja:

adamrules247
:hi:

Oh wow! That day that the sister arranged looks extremely weird and un-Catholic. Even I think that's dodgy :p:
Reply 3719
Of course! Prayer said for you :hugs: May I ask what happens in the Rite of Acceptance service? Being a cradle Catholic, I've no idea :ninja:

Thank you! It is basically us being presented to the Parish for the first time. We become part of the community, and we answer some questions infront of the congregation. It is the first major public declaration of our attempt to join the faith and our efforts to join the Catholic Church. Thank you again! God bless! :lovie2:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending