The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
With 1 year NCB mine went down £1100. That was with 3 points.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by FXX
With 1 year NCB mine went down £1100. That was with 3 points.

Wow, nice one. What was it to start with?

I always hear of people not getting much lower - maybe £100.
Mine went from £1200 to £890 so reduced by quite a bit. I did shop around though when I was renewing it, my previous insurer wanted to charge me more than £1200!

Cheap car insurance deals here
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by inksplodge
Wow, nice one. What was it to start with?

I always hear of people not getting much lower - maybe £100.

It was £1900, went down to £800 :smile:

Not sure what the neg was for, but okay O_o
Reply 5
Original post by FXX
It was £1900, went down to £800 :smile:

Not sure what the neg was for, but okay O_o

I've +1 you to make up for it ^_^

That's really good, well done! 3 points though :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by whiskeyinthejar
Mine went from £1200 to £890 so reduced by quite a bit. I did shop around though when I was renewing it, my previous insurer wanted to charge me more than £1200!

That's pretty good. Mine's currently 1725 (tpft) and I'm hoping to be able to insure my car fully comp when I renew. Hopefully. :tongue: Just goes to show you definitely can get a better deal if you shop around!
Reply 7
Original post by DaveDavids
cannot remember but there is no need to ask just run through an online insurance quote.
first quote as normal
second quote implying you held your full licence for at least 1 year, have 1 years NCB, no accidents/claims or convicitons.
then note the difference in price

not right because you will be a year old after a year of driving. plays a massive part with 17 - 25 year olds, especially with 17 - 21 ....
£575 first year, something around £400 second year.

change of car may or may not have had something to do with it, with first year being for a mid-90s peugeot 205, and second year being for a 2008 fiat 500.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Joanna-Marie :)
Mine WAS £1850 & went down by just over £1000 to £820 :biggrin:

Lovely! Hope mine decreases that much, lol. :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by DaveDavids
thanks forgot to mention age; mind you I never intended to type about what to fields to update as I do not like stating the obvious.

I passed my test at 18
year 1 (aged 18-19) approx £1500
year 2 (aged 19-20) with 1 NCB approx £800
year 3 (aged 20-11) with 2 NCB approx £650
and so on; my insurance is around the £300 mark now.

I know people who passed at aged 17 half and at the end of year 3, their renewal with 3 NCB at aged 20 is around £600 mark.

Indeed age is a factor but NCB is the biggest factor alongside legnth held full licence.

edit:
I wish people will stop implying that insurance is expensive upto 25 years old and that 25+ is a bench mark for low insurance, if people read their insurance documentation or what Insurers offer they will note that most companies significantly reduce the compulsory excess at age 25+ has nothing to do with low premiums. If you pass your test at 25 years old you will stil have very high insurance premiums because you have not held your full licence for a long period of time nor hold NCB. run run through an online quote and see!

Your insurance was pretty cheap to start with :eek: I'm really hoping that mine decreases to at least £1400 next year but I'm not getting my hopes up >.<
My first year was around £1370 (age 19-20), 2nd year is around £1000, and putting in relevant numbers it seems like I'll hopefully get my next lot for around £600, but will just have to see what happens at the time...basically OP it seems like you should expect to pay around £800-£1000 for the next lot, but try putting in rejigged details into a comparison site and see what comes up.
(edited 5 years ago)
£1500 with 1 year NCB
Mine went up by £200. And no accidents or points. Absolutely raging.
First year was around £1650 (aged 18), down to about £600 for my second year (19) and down to £482 for my third (20).
Reply 16
Mine will go down around £40 a month, so from £120, it'll go down to around £80 in July. I hope.
That is what I've seen from doing comparing as I am now + an extra year with no claims obviously.

So around £480 less on my second year.

That is if I don't have a crash in the next 6 months.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Hello Laura!
Mine went up by £200. And no accidents or points. Absolutely raging.

Ouch! :frown: Did you get a different car?
Reply 18
Original post by Nürburgring
£800 first year, £500 second year with NCB.

These prices were for when I was 17 (first year price) and 18 (second year price), both in a London postcode.

Wow, that is amazingly cheap!

Original post by beffnee
First year was around £1650 (aged 18), down to about £600 for my second year (19) and down to £482 for my third (20).

Nice. My first year has been £1725 (I've just turned 21) so *please* let the insurance guys bring it down to £1k :P
Original post by inksplodge
Ouch! :frown: Did you get a different car?

Nope, same car and everything.

The company I was with sent me a renewal notice for £600 more, so had to spend ages trying to find it cheaper elsewhere.

Now with Direct Line, who this year (3rd year driving) actually gave me a renewal quote cheaper than anything I found online. Still unbelievable though at £500 though with no points or accidents.

Latest