The Student Room Group

Royal Navy Recruit Test (RT) - My Experience

Having just sat my Recruit Test for the Royal Navy and realising how nerve-racking the days leading up to the test can be I thought my personal experience as well as what I believe helped me to pass would be of some use for people who have the test upcoming.

Information on the Recruit Test (RT) can be found here: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/Careers/How-To-Join/Interviews-and-Tests/Recruit-Test

My personal experience, which will hopefully help to eliminate some of the uncertainty surrounding the test, was as follows. The test was arranged for 9.00am on a Wednesday in December. I turned up at 8.45am dressed smartly in a suit.

On the note of dress, most of the other applicants turned up in casual or smart casual clothes but I was the only one in a suit. Some people believe this to be overkill but as the old adage goes: “it is better to be overdressed than underdressed.” Every time I visit a careers office, wither it be for a casual informative chat or for a formal interview, I dress as smartly as possible. I do this because this is only time the careers office personnel will see me so by always dressing to impress I leave a single impression of a smartly dressed and professional individual who takes his application seriously.

When I arrived I was signed in and asked to take a seat in the waiting room. Over the next 15 minutes 11 more applicants turned up, signed in and took their seats in the waiting room. The atmosphere was quite tense. My personal conduct at this point was to have a glass of water, relax and read a magazine. Although you are not being assessed at this point I still believe it is possible to stand out. With a well postured sitting position and a relaxed attitude you can be viewed as a confident and composed individual. Some people may believe I am over analysing this but with how competitive recruitment is currently I believe you must do all you can to stand out.

Just after 9 o’clock the other applicants and I were brought to the exam room with a number of tables set out in typical exam style. Two pencils, the question booklet and the answer booklet are already on the desk. A brief was given and the test began. The schedule was as follows:

9 minutes for a 30 question spatial reasoning test
9 minutes for a 30 question verbal comprehension test
16 minutes for a 30 question mathematical comprehension test.
Finally, 10 minutes for a 30 question mechanical reasoning test.

My personal approach to the test was simply to work as quickly and accurately as possible. I know this is easier said than done but due to my extensive preparation I didn’t have to spend valuable time trying to understand what each question was asking as I was already familiar with the format of the questions. The time constraint is the real issue here. If you break it down you only want to spend 18 seconds on each question. This is not a lot of time and if you have to spend time working out the context of the question you really are going to be struggling. If there was a question I couldn’t get I put a question mark next to its number on the answer sheet for quick reference and moved on. If I had spare time I went to the questions that I had placed a question mark next to and then checked my answers.

The invigilator will tell you when each test in completed and when to begin the next test. When all the tests were completed we handed in our answer papers, were asked to complete an anonymous questionnaire about what we thought of the test and were then left to watch a video on the different career options in the Royal Navy.
We were then given our results and successful candidates were briefed on the next stage of application the medical. Forms were distributed and we were allowed to leave.

While the test is challenging, mainly due to the time constraint, if you are well prepared there is no reason you cannot score highly.
As I’m sure anyone will tell you: preparation is key. For my preparation I read, reread and read again the test booklet supplied by the careers advisor on my first visit to the office. You can find it here: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/Careers/How-To-Join/Interviews-and-Tests/~/media/Files/CNR-PDFs/Test%20Book.pdf
This is your best resource. The questions in this booklet are exactly like the ones encountered in the test. If you can understand the different types of questions in the practice booklet you will be prepared for the types in the real test. Make sure you understand each variation of question. For example: there is a question on significant figures in the practice book so there will be one in the test, there is a question on the physics of pulleys in the practice book so there will be one in the test.

For further preparation I purchased the Armed Forces Tests book from www.how2become.com as well as a number of guides from http://www.psychometric-success.com/
By doing as many of these example tests as possible you sharpen your mental arithmetic as well as familiarise yourself with the format of questions you will encounter. Other preparation tips are common sense. Get a good night’s sleep, eat a good breakfast and have plenty of water beforehand.

Anyway, that’s how it happened for me and how I chose to prepare. I realise others will approach the test differently but this is what I believe works. Your success or failure in this test really does simply come down to preparation and how dedicated you are to it.
I hope this account is of some use to those going for their recruit test. Prepare, prepare and prepare some more and this test will be of no problem. I wish all of you going for your RT or any other interview or test the best of luck and please feel free to comment or ask any questions you have.

Thanks for reading,

Olly013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olly013
I purchased the Armed Forces Tests book from www.how2become.com as well as a number of guides from http://www.psychometric-success.com/

Everything else - good stuff, thanks for posting. The above bit - don't waste your money on these. Everything you need to pass tests for any of the Forces is available free. No point in giving someone your money for that.
Reply 2
Original post by ProStacker
Everything else - good stuff, thanks for posting. The above bit - don't waste your money on these. Everything you need to pass tests for any of the Forces is available free. No point in giving someone your money for that.

You are correct. However, I recommend these particular products because I found them to be an excellent resource for a very reasonable price. There is also the option of downloading a free sample to try before buying.
Reply 3
Original post by Olly013
You are correct. However, I recommend these particular products because I found them to be an excellent resource for a very reasonable price. There is also the option of downloading a free sample to try before buying.

He's correct that you don't need to buy them and that they're a waste of money......... yet you advocate buying them anyway?

Either they're one or the other, but not both.

The resources available for free from all manner of websites and referenced all over this forum more than make up for not buying those books, as do the much much better websites of the various Forces now [as opposed to say, 5+yrs ago - when people still managed to successfully apply anyway :colonhash: ].
Reply 4
Original post by Drewski
He's correct that you don't need to buy them and that they're a waste of money......... yet you advocate buying them anyway?

Either they're one or the other, but not both.

The resources available for free from all manner of websites and referenced all over this forum more than make up for not buying those books, as do the much much better websites of the various Forces now [as opposed to say, 5+yrs ago - when people still managed to successfully apply anyway :colonhash: ].

I agree there are some good free resources out there. However, I found these products to be the best I encountered. They worked for me, so I will happpily recommend them to others.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
We're you going for an engineering role? I am surprised they asked questions so specific like significant figures or pulleys, I thought it was more numerical reasoning they were after.

And with regards to the revision material I would take them with a pinch of salt looking back the aptitude tests I did I really can't see how that sort of material could of helped.
Reply 6
Hi Guys

Just so no one else wastes their money don't use JobTestPrep to help you revise. They do not provide the correct information and they state that they provide full coverage of the various topics however this is not the case. They also do not provide an address or contact number which makes me suspicious. I received a very poor service and virtually no customer service when I had a problem - you are better to use the ones recommended by others.
Reply 7
Original post by lucyfreeman
Hi Guys

Just so no one else wastes their money don't use JobTestPrep to help you revise. They do not provide the correct information and they state that they provide full coverage of the various topics however this is not the case. They also do not provide an address or contact number which makes me suspicious. I received a very poor service and virtually no customer service when I had a problem - you are better to use the ones recommended by others.

The advise is not to spend any money on any resource, as there's nothing available through them that you can't get for free with a bit of digging online.
Reply 8
I completely disagree with posters who recommend to not buy books, all the ''you can't revise for it'' yada-yada is false, you can revise for it, most books on amazon are cheap as chips, £5 can make or brake your career and from personal experience it can be a worthwhile investment.

On the other hand I'll try to post a full AST FAQ at some point, when I have time and not feeling lazy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Miza
I completely disagree with posters who recommend to not buy books, all the ''you can't revise for it'' yada-yada is false, you can revise for it, most books on amazon are cheap as chips, £5 can make or brake your career and from personal experience it can be a worthwhile investment.

On the other hand I'll try to post a full AST FAQ at some point, when I have time and not feeling lazy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm neither saying you can't revise for them nor am I saying you shouldn't revise for them, just that all the material you could want is available for free somewhere online, you just have to go find it.
I revised a lot for my go at the RAF Officer aptitude test and did well, but I only used stuff I got for free, either from helpful friends or online.
Original post by Miza

Which arm of the Forces are you currently serving with?
Reply 11
Original post by ProStacker
Which arm of the Forces are you currently serving with?

Just to clarify to everyone who asked this question, I am NOT currently serving, but this may or may not change in the future.

However, I have personally sat AST and passed for every trade and branch, it wasn't easy but I got a high score mainly because I revised for it. I do admit I bought a book of amazon for £4.80, it had about 40 pages of sample questions for the AST, some of them quite similar to the 'real thing'. Most people complain about the lack of 'samples' for AST and then go on and fail because they thought it will be same as the example paper on RAF Careers website (which it is not).

But as I have said, when I have time I 'might' publish here the full source of sample questions from that book on here (not sure about copyrights but will check).
Original post by Miza
Most people complain about the lack of 'samples' for AST and then go on and fail because they thought it will be same as the example paper on RAF Careers website (which it is not).

Highly misleading. 'Most people'? What figures have you got that back up such a claim?

'A minority' or at best 'some people'. If they go on to fail, it is not for their lack of buying a book of tests not sanctioned by the people setting the tests.
Reply 13
Hello,

I am taking my Recruit Test next week. I have bought the Armed forces book, and "How to becomme" to help practise on my test. However I think I am revising too much as I am revising Auto and Shop now.

Could someone help me and tell me whether I am wasting my time revising this topic for the mechanical comprehension part?

Also, should I revise my physics equations?

I find the books quite simple for the verbal reasoning and not sure if its a true reflection of what is in the test?

I hope we get scrap paper to work on, as I need it!

I would really appreciate any help... I am applying for Officer, what is the percentage I need to aim for?

Thank you

Kate
Reply 14
Original post by K.1989
Hello,

I am taking my Recruit Test next week. I have bought the Armed forces book, and "How to becomme" to help practise on my test. However I think I am revising too much as I am revising Auto and Shop now.

Could someone help me and tell me whether I am wasting my time revising this topic for the mechanical comprehension part?

Also, should I revise my physics equations?

I find the books quite simple for the verbal reasoning and not sure if its a true reflection of what is in the test?

I hope we get scrap paper to work on, as I need it!

I would really appreciate any help... I am applying for Officer, what is the percentage I need to aim for?

Thank you

Kate

Hi Kate,

The mechanical comprehesion part of the test (and in fact the entire test) consists of exactly the type of questions that you are shown in the recruit test practice book that the AFCO give you.

You won't need to know any physics equations for the mechanical comprehension part of the test but understanding of the basic laws of physics regarding pulleys and weights on a balance as well as the basic workings of an internal combustion engine is helpful. But don't overthink it too much as most of the mechanical questions can be answered with common sense. I used the "Armed Forces Tests" from How2Become and found them useful for my revision.

I would really recommend concentrating on your mental arithmatic as well as your long multiplication and division as the time saved by being able to do these types of question quickly will be invaluable. You are given paper and a pencil to wrtie down your working for these tests.

Best of luck.
Reply 15
wow I really don't think I understood the significance of this test when I took it. I went down for a look around last wednesday and was told I should come back on the saturday for an RT test. I think my experience was pretty similar to yours except I was the one dressed casually and was quite shocked when i saw some people were wearing suits as I hadnt realised quite how significant it was. Perhaps ignorance is bliss however as I wasnt quite as nervous as I could see some of the other candidates evidently were. +Does any know what scores are required for what. I'm just joining the reserves for now but am planning to join the fleet air arm after my college course, (within 3 years so I don't have to resit it) and I was wondering if I scored high enough for not only that but other jobs as well.
p.s i scored 105/120
Hey,

I have my RT test tomorrow and i know its last minute but im panicking that ive forgot something... Anybody know what i need to take with me except for any qualification certificates, medical card, birth certificate, identification....

Thanks Nic.
Reply 17
Original post by Nic.Cummings
Hey,

I have my RT test tomorrow and i know its last minute but im panicking that ive forgot something... Anybody know what i need to take with me except for any qualification certificates, medical card, birth certificate, identification....

Thanks Nic.

You need to bring in any forms they asked you to sign as well (e.g tattoo form) +i didn't think you needed any qualification certificates (I didn't)
Reply 18
Original post by Nic.Cummings
Hey,

Thanks Nic.

The AFCO will have sent you with a form listing everything you need to take with you.
Original post by lucyfreeman
Hi Guys

I disagree, I purchased their RT package and needed some customer support. They have an email address, and someone got in touch with me within a couple of hours...what are you suspicious of?

Quick Reply

Latest