The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7920
Original post by carcinoma
x

I had a look into that anatomy.tv thing today after getting in a faff with the bony pelvis and interactions with muscles and stuff and apparently Newcastle don't have a subscription to it. They only provide the dentistry modules to us... *******s! :frown:

Any chance it's possible to get it through the BMA or something?
4 Exams on monday and i'm at least 2 days behind on revision. :frown:
those that have done ibscs externally: how hard was it to get a place? i want to go to london for a year but don't want to put all my eggs in one basket if it's tough to get a place as will need to sort houses here in the next few weeks otherwise! im specifically looking at KCL!
Original post by edcourageous
those that have done ibscs externally: how hard was it to get a place? i want to go to london for a year but don't want to put all my eggs in one basket if it's tough to get a place as will need to sort houses here in the next few weeks otherwise! im specifically looking at KCL!

I'm also interested in finding out more from those who have intercalated externally. I'm applying to Imperial, but I'm at KCL at the moment if you need info on any speficic iBSc :smile:
I am officially a bonafide wasteman.

I didn't revise (much) for my exam which I had this morning (for obvious reasons...it was the Christmas holidays) and I honestly think I might have failed this. I almost certainly took waffling to a whole new level. Haha.
Original post by Isometrix
Might I ask what in?

In Medical Education. Good fun. Kinda.
What does everyone think about this breast implant issue?

Should these ladies be getting them removed on the NHS, despite conflicting information, or should they be on the own?
Reply 7927
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy

Should these ladies be getting them removed on the NHS, despite conflicting information, or should they be on the own?

is there even good evidence there is an issue?
Original post by edcourageous
I don't think it's hard to get an offer at all. The main issue that comes about from applying as an external is actually getting permission from your medical school to let you out to do the year outside once you have that offer. Well, that was the case at St George's last year anyway. Only 10 were allowed out last year.

I think they're allowing 30 externals out this year though.

Original post by billet-doux
I'm also interested in finding out more from those who have intercalated externally. I'm applying to Imperial, but I'm at KCL at the moment if you need info on any speficic iBSc :smile:
A friend of mine from King's is intercalating in Medical Sciences with Cardiovascular Sciences at Imperial. I'm not sure about King's policy on externals but apparently a lot of people went out this year to do Management at Imperial too.
Original post by Medicine Man
I am officially a bonafide wasteman.

I didn't revise (much) for my exam which I had this morning (for obvious reasons...it was the Christmas holidays) and I honestly think I might have failed this. I almost certainly took waffling to a whole new level. Haha.
I feel bad that you're sitting exams this far into your BSc already! ...and I thought Imperial were bad with their exams in February!
I'm sure you've done just great. How much was the exam worth relative to the whole degree?
Original post by buzzcat
is there even good evidence there is an issue?

There is some debate over the actual failure rate.

What is known is that they are not made of medical grade silicon - but of a grade not fit for purpose and that ruptures,when they do happen, apparently tend to cause a variety of symptoms from pain and swelling to generalised flu like symptoms.

I think I've almost been convinced that they should be removed under the NHS if the rupture rate is exceedingly high and is causing harm.

I would much prefer the manufacturer to foot the bill or for the clinics that inserted them to do so and also use their resources to remove them however.

That said, these ladies are tax payers and thus like smokers, athletes, etc whom bring harm to themselves knowingly or unknowingly they can't be denied care for their problem.

Removal but not reinsertion would be my bottom line.
There is some debate over the actual failure rate.

What is known is that they are not made of medical grade silicon - but of a grade not fit for purpose and that ruptures,when they do happen, apparently tend to cause a variety of symptoms from pain and swelling to generalised flu like symptoms.

I think I've almost been convinced that they should be removed under the NHS if the rupture rate is exceedingly high and is causing harm.

I would much prefer the manufacturer to foot the bill or for the clinics that inserted them to do so and also use their resources to remove them however.

That said, these ladies are tax payers and thus like smokers, athletes, etc whom bring harm to themselves knowingly or unknowingly they can't be denied care for their problem.

Removal but not reinsertion would be my bottom line.

I think I probably agree with you that if there is a problem they should be removed by the NHS, if the original clinic won't do it. However, I have seen cases before were patients had breast implants abroad, had a complication, got them removed on the NHS, went back to their private clinic for new implants, more problems, back to the NHS etc. In this situation what do you think we should do? (Not suggesting you should have all the answers lol just interested in your opinion!) I guess perhaps that is no different from someone who won't give up smoking.
Original post by crazylemon
I don't think i am going to enjoy this wake up at 6am everyday to get in for 10 weeks...

Ha...I'm up every day at 6am due to an early-rising toddler, weekends included :eek:. Last semester was a bit of a bummer because some classes didn't start until 230pm. Thankfully, I'm going to have Mon-Thurs 9am starts next semester so suits better since I'm up and in by 815am anyway. :rolleyes:

Think that if they got them privately and want them removed (not enough evidence currently - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16395244) then they should foot the bill.
Original post by i'm no superman

A friend of mine from King's is intercalating in Medical Sciences with Cardiovascular Sciences at Imperial. I'm not sure about King's policy on externals but apparently a lot of people went out this year to do Management at Imperial too.

That sounds pretty cool, is your friend enjoying it? I'm applying for Medical Sciences with Gastroenterology & Hepatology, but they only have 2 places for externals, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :tongue: At King's, they give you permission to intercalate externally only if they don't offer the course here. How are you finding your iBSc? Hope all is going well! :biggrin:
Reply 7935
any tips for revising MS system anatomy, mainly upper limb... Mnemonics e.t.c?
Oh ****

Just realised that I haven't completed my 'learning log' for ****ty medsoc days and our GP wants to see it tomorrow.

Of course by not completed I mean I haven't started.. and I really don't want to miss tables tonight :noway:

Oh well better start writing crap then..
Original post by 2klthor
any tips for revising MS system anatomy, mainly upper limb... Mnemonics e.t.c?

:yep: don't bother.
Original post by i'm no superman
I feel bad that you're sitting exams this far into your BSc already! ...and I thought Imperial were bad with their exams in February!
I'm sure you've done just great. How much was the exam worth relative to the whole degree?

Mate, some people had their first exams before Christmas. Now that sucks. At least, I had the holidays to attempt to revise (the one I had before Christmas was only worth like 6% of the year and it wasn't too bad) . This one was worth 15% - I really don't know why I've become such a waste this year. I go in, but I don't take anything seriously at all. I think its because this isn't medicine.

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Oh ****

Just realised that I haven't completed my 'learning log' for ****ty medsoc days and our GP wants to see it tomorrow.

Of course by not completed I mean I haven't started.. and I really don't want to miss tables tonight :noway:

Oh...those. :/ Bane of my life in year 1. Mine didn't even read mine in the end.
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Oh ****

What's this learning log? I didn't even know it existed :dontknow:

Latest

Trending

Trending