The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Why haven't you updated your blog in 3 months?! :colondollar:

Oh dear, mainly due to time :sadnod: I will however try to update it today though :yes:
Original post by skibur
Are they both not AAB? i really cant see myself getting that tbh, ABB is more likely so i really am counting on access coming back successful

what was your offer for lancaster? if you dont mind me asking?:smile:

Well i've not applied for single hones maths. At leeds i did as theres an option to do elective modules in german/year abroad...but at lancaster i applied to german and maths joint hons which i got an offer of ABB for.... Leeds being AAB.
Im really regretting the course i chose at lancaster now though and if i go there i'm hoping i can switch courses at the beginning on year 1 or the end when you definately say what your course is....

Yeah my predicted grades are AAB but i think im more likely to get ABB....
Did any of you guys attend any University lectures before applying for Maths?

Yes, I attended a 4 day residential trip at Cambridge and attended Math lectures.. Also attended the lecture on "Symmetry, Chance and Determinism" at Royal Holloway University...
Original post by aprilannep
Yes, I attended a 4 day residential trip at Cambridge and attended Math lectures.. Also attended the lecture on "Symmetry, Chance and Determinism" at Royal Holloway University...

Great! How did you find out about lectures? E.G where are they held, do you have to pay, what time etc...
Also, what year did you go to it, did you find it hard?
Great! How did you find out about lectures? E.G where are they held, do you have to pay, what time etc...
Also, what year did you go to it, did you find it hard?

The Cambridge on was with an organosation called HEAPS and it is sponsored by the educational charity, TeachFirst.. Our school was a part of it, and we joined the programme cause we were aparantly "capable" students..
The one at Royal Holloway was just advertised on their site, and they emailed our school about it. Everyone was welcome on that one..
Both were in 2011, Cambridge was in April and Royal Holloway was in November.. Thee one in Cambridge wasn't hard, cause it was pure Maths, I was able to follow as it was just a step further that what i'd already done at school. The one at Royal Holloway was confusing.
Reply 4166
Original post by BeccaCath94
Well i've not applied for single hones maths. At leeds i did as theres an option to do elective modules in german/year abroad...but at lancaster i applied to german and maths joint hons which i got an offer of ABB for.... Leeds being AAB.
Im really regretting the course i chose at lancaster now though and if i go there i'm hoping i can switch courses at the beginning on year 1 or the end when you definately say what your course is....

Yeah my predicted grades are AAB but i think im more likely to get ABB....

oh okay, I think at most universities you can change when you get there, well all the universities that ive been to open days on you can :smile: I suppose it gives you a year to try it out before it actually becomes part of your degree?

same boat then :frown: what subjects are you doing? :smile:

They were lectures at universities but not with other university students. One was on infinity and the other one was roughly around Conway's game of life. Both pretty interesting. Also attended an economics lecture/talk with one of the governors of the bank of england. Now that was interesting, obviously not maths related though.

I also went on a headstart maths course at Durham university and had like 8 hours of maths a day. I think some other people on here went on that?

Now you come to think of it I have been on a couple of maths lectures with my school - i should've mentioned them in my PS! :frown: They were in year 10 and 11 at york uni which is near my school so we went on a trip with our maths class...
One i did mention though was a trip to a FERA laboratory i went on in year 12 - a statistics in action visit - where we counted pine cones!! :tongue:

Original post by skibur
oh okay, I think at most universities you can change when you get there, well all the universities that ive been to open days on you can :smile: I suppose it gives you a year to try it out before it actually becomes part of your degree?

same boat then :frown: what subjects are you doing? :smile:

Yeah i think you'll be able to change course if theres spare places but you may need the grades (if its higher)...not sure
Yeah it does give you a year to try it i guess :smile:
I'm doing Maths which i need an A in (and should get), English Language which could be a B or A.....and German which i need a B in and hopefully i'll get and not a C!!!!
What did you take?
Good luck polytechnic Cambridge people :h:
Original post by dnumberwang

Cambridge is the best university in the world* so I think you look like a bit of an idiot now :tongue:

*http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011
Reply 4171
Original post by BeccaCath94
Now you come to think of it I have been on a couple of maths lectures with my school - i should've mentioned them in my PS! :frown: They were in year 10 and 11 at york uni which is near my school so we went on a trip with our maths class...
One i did mention though was a trip to a FERA laboratory i went on in year 12 - a statistics in action visit - where we counted pine cones!! :tongue:

Yeah i think you'll be able to change course if theres spare places but you may need the grades (if its higher)...not sure
Yeah it does give you a year to try it i guess :smile:
I'm doing Maths which i need an A in (and should get), English Language which could be a B or A.....and German which i need a B in and hopefully i'll get and not a C!!!!
What did you take?

yeah, just get into leeds so you dont have to worry!:tongue: Maths - A*/Ain, Physics - A/B Further Maths- B/C as you can see im a bit screwed if i dont get access to leeds...
When do Cambridge give out offers/rejections ?
Original post by actuarialmaestro:p
When do Cambridge give out offers/rejections ?

tomorrow
Original post by dnumberwang

I think you rubbed some people the wrong way :tongue:

(I thought oxford was the polytechnic :wink:)
Original post by lifesabeach
Cambridge is the best university in the world* so I think you look like a bit of an idiot now :tongue:

*http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011

I think it *might* have been a joke. Oxford/Cambridge rivalry etc. :P
Finally got my offer from Bristol :smile: AAA
Original post by officeface

Yay! Congrats! I'm still waiting..
Original post by officeface

Congrats!!

I wish Durham would hurry up a bit but I know they probably won't. Same with St. Andrews.
Original post by skibur
yeah, just get into leeds so you dont have to worry!:tongue: Maths - A*/Ain, Physics - A/B Further Maths- B/C as you can see im a bit screwed if i dont get access to leeds...

Hmm....a bit of a range you've got there! What prediction are on your ucas? Where have you applied?
Yeah i'll try to get into leeds but the offer is higher (if i even get one) but i really wanna go to lancaster!! Somewhere new!

Latest