The Student Room Group

TSR Pagan Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Nyah, I wouldn't say dead, so much as just very quiet. I've been busy with uni work and trying to write an article (on Loki no less), so haven't had much time for here. I assume it'll get a bit busier now as people will start discussing Jól.
Reply 441
I used to know a Wiccan/Pagan. She reckoned she could see little green goblins in her living room while she watched antiques roadshow. Call me closeminded, but I thought that she was probably just a bit mental.

True story (aka not spam)
Reply 442
Original post by py0alb
I used to know a Wiccan/Pagan. She reckoned she could see little green goblins in her living room while she watched antiques roadshow. Call me closeminded, but I thought that she was probably just a bit mental.

True story (aka not spam)

I used to know an atheist. Reckoned they could see elves all over the Icelandic countryside and talked about ****ing them in the rivers...

True story.
Reply 443
Original post by Hylean
I used to know an atheist. Reckoned they could see elves all over the Icelandic countryside and talked about ****ing them in the rivers...

True story.

Ah yes, but her thinking she could see goblins was all part and parcel of her spiritual beliefs. Paganism was a prominent factor in her believing she saw goblins in the same way that christianity is a prominent factor in people seeing the face of virgin mary in their buttered toast.

Athiesm, being as it is a lack of a particular belief rather than a positive belief in itself, never induced anyone to believe anything, by definition.

(Lets just stick to the current common definition of atheism unless we want the entire discussion to be cut and paste into "the definitional thread" which is a very boring thing to happen)
Reply 444
Original post by select the right name
Well, this thread makes for some, ahem, interesting reading. Quite a few misconceptions but good to read some good information too.

I am Druid, have always been Druid and will always be Druid. My parents are Druid and I was born into that path. I'm now raising my daughters as Druids.

I regularly meet up with other pagans in our local moot and enjoy the debates that often.happen when people from different paths get together.

Now, this isn't intended to be directed at anyone on this thread but.more to do with observations from others I've met. I have come across people who have become Wicca after watching too much Charmed and thinking that throwing herbs and a piece of Mandrake root into a pot will sort out their lives! Again, this comment is not directed at anyone on here.

I've been to Stonehenge many times but never at the Solstice. Too many wannabees! The big Druid gathering (OBOD) is the week before Solstice.

Anyway, if anyone wants to know more just ask.

Ooh that's really interesting! What was it like, growing up in a religion? Did you celebrate secular holidays as well (e.g. Christmas)? ...and I must confess I'm a little ignorant of druid beliefs :colondollar:
Stonehenge is beautiful, but personally I've always felt more connected at Avebury :h:
Reply 445
Original post by py0alb
Ah yes, but her thinking she could see goblins was all part and parcel of her spiritual beliefs. Paganism was a prominent factor in her believing she saw goblins in the same way that christianity is a prominent factor in people seeing the face of virgin mary in their buttered toast.

Athiesm, being as it is a lack of a particular belief rather than a positive belief in itself, never induced anyone to believe anything, by definition.

(Lets just stick to the current common definition of atheism unless we want the entire discussion to be cut and paste into "the definitional thread" which is a very boring thing to happen)

So? Being bat**** crazy can be found in all beliefs, or lacks thereof. Interesting, tazrooni had a similar debate in a thread on atheism, he just worded it far better than me. :yep: I is not alone. :biggrin:

To be fair, if I head down into Camden, there's this really ****ing annoy green goblin hanging out in a pub where the Devonshire Arms used to be. Reckons it's all "alternative" and cool, ****ing goblin. :angry:
Reply 446
Happy Midwinter/Yule/whatever winter holiday you celebrate everyone :h:
I saw 'winter solstice' decorations for sale today- they were all nature themed christmas decorations, basically, but I did wonder if they were aimed at a Pagan audience, or simply a non-christian one...
Reply 448
Happy (slightly belated) Yule! :biggrin:
Reply 449
Original post by select the right name
Well, this thread makes for some, ahem, interesting reading. Quite a few misconceptions but good to read some good information too.

I am Druid, have always been Druid and will always be Druid. My parents are Druid and I was born into that path. I'm now raising my daughters as Druids.

I regularly meet up with other pagans in our local moot and enjoy the debates that often.happen when people from different paths get together.

Now, this isn't intended to be directed at anyone on this thread but.more to do with observations from others I've met. I have come across people who have become Wicca after watching too much Charmed and thinking that throwing herbs and a piece of Mandrake root into a pot will sort out their lives! Again, this comment is not directed at anyone on here.

I've been to Stonehenge many times but never at the Solstice. Too many wannabees! The big Druid gathering (OBOD) is the week before Solstice.

Anyway, if anyone wants to know more just ask.

Interesting, I'm an ex-Catholic turned atheist turned agnostic (spiritually in general, not agnostic towards the Christian god) myself, I'm pretty interested in paganism. From what I've seen most tend to be "converts" from other religions or from atheism rather than having grown up in it. Just out of interest, what does your religion mean to you? To a born and bred Christian it would mean a connection to God and a meaning to life I guess. I know that OBOD Druids are very diverse in their ritual and practise and not all believe in actual gods per se, do you believe in the Celtic gods or is it more of just a connection to the land/nature or something for you?

Sorry, just interested :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Curzon
Interesting, I'm an ex-Catholic turned atheist turned agnostic (spiritually in general, not agnostic towards the Christian god) myself, I'm pretty interested in paganism. From what I've seen most tend to be "converts" from other religions or from atheism rather than having grown up in it. Just out of interest, what does your religion mean to you? To a born and bred Christian it would mean a connection to God and a meaning to life I guess. I know that OBOD Druids are very diverse in their ritual and practise and not all believe in actual gods per se, do you believe in the Celtic gods or is it more of just a connection to the land/nature or something for you?

Sorry, just interested :colondollar:

I'm an ex-Catholic (Catholic of my own choice, I wasn't baptised so I don't think it was ever "official"). I converted to paganism because I have always felt that there is something that we don't yet understand (whether it be the paranormal, the existence of a god of some sort, the existence of a form of magic), and I felt that paganism - especially Eclectic Paganism - gave me the freedom to adapt to my own beliefs without having a set of rules imposed upon me. I don't believe that specific gods exist, but I use them in a metaphorical sense rather than literal. So for example, if I was desperate to have a child (veyr unlikely :tongue:), I would focus my energy on praying to Epona. This doesn't mean I necessarily believe she exists, more that I think that focusing my energy in one place, and believing that something can happen, increases the likelihood that it will.

Saying that though, I still have a strong connection with Christianity and I often refer to the Bible when I'm in times of need. I'm not exactly sure what makes me feel like this, but in my eyes as long as it's right for me it is no concern of anyone else. :smile:

Sorry if that sounds confusing, I just thought I'd give you my view. :smile:
Reply 451

:wink:
Reply 452
Original post by Hylean

True story.

What's with Icelanders and wanting/claiming to shag elves? I saw an interview with an Icelandic woman who wrote a book about her amorous elfin adventures, and I had a book of Icelandic folk tales and half the stories were about doing elves too. Haha. :confused:

Edit: This is an interview with her:

http://www.disinfo.com/2009/12/icelandic-elf-sex-video/

She's pretty hot too. Lucky elves . . .
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 453
Original post by Einheri
What's with Icelanders and wanting/claiming to shag elves? I saw an interview with an Icelandic woman who wrote a book about her amorous elfin adventures, and I had a book of Icelandic folk tales and half the stories were about doing elves too. Haha. :confused:

Edit: This is an interview with her:

http://www.disinfo.com/2009/12/icelandic-elf-sex-video/

She's pretty hot too. Lucky elves . . .

I have that book, it's quite funny. Even wrote about her in an essay once.

Such stories are common all over the world.
Reply 454
Hey guys, do you know whether any universities have pagan socs? I have been getting prospectuses and they all mention provisions for muslims and multifaith chaplaincies but I was just wondering if anyone knew of anything that might be of use to a pagan :tongue:
Reply 455
Original post by Etoile
Hey guys, do you know whether any universities have pagan socs? I have been getting prospectuses and they all mention provisions for muslims and multifaith chaplaincies but I was just wondering if anyone knew of anything that might be of use to a pagan :tongue:

Which universities are you interested in?

I know that Bangor has one (I was on the committee when I was there). I think at Aberystwyth they don't have a pagan soc but they do have a tarot card etc soc and all the pagans go hang there..
I believe Lampeter has one as well.. (Or at least they did several years ago.)

I don't know much about any other universities.
Reply 456
Original post by Hravan
Which universities are you interested in?

I know that Bangor has one (I was on the committee when I was there). I think at Aberystwyth they don't have a pagan soc but they do have a tarot card etc soc and all the pagans go hang there..
I believe Lampeter has one as well.. (Or at least they did several years ago.)

I don't know much about any other universities.

I haven't really narrowed it down very much yet :lol: I do know that Lampeter doesn't offer my course though. Thank you! :biggrin: Were there many people on it when you were there?
Reply 457
Original post by Etoile
I haven't really narrowed it down very much yet :lol: I do know that Lampeter doesn't offer my course though. Thank you! :biggrin: Were there many people on it when you were there?

Yes there were. About 15 or so regular members and at bigger events we had more.

But please don't pick your uni based upon the pagan soc. Please don't. And Bangor really isn't brilliant. (Oh I could tell you stories... But again, some people love Bangor. Everybody I know hates it... )
Reply 458
Original post by Hravan
Yes there were. About 15 or so regular members and at bigger events we had more.

But please don't pick your uni based upon the pagan soc. Please don't. And Bangor really isn't brilliant. (Oh I could tell you stories... But again, some people love Bangor. Everybody I know hates it... )

Oh wow! :biggrin:
Oh, I won't pick it only on that, of course not! But it could be a factor.
Reply 459
Original post by Etoile
Oh wow! :biggrin:
Oh, I won't pick it only on that, of course not! But it could be a factor.

UCL has one when I was there, but it seemed to have a few fluffies in it when I went.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending