The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jaime1986
That's what my next assignment is on, but I'm only in the very early stages of reading so I'm no help I'm afraid. I, like you it sounds, find that there is too much to discuss regarding the matter in the rather limited word count (4000words).

It would be useful if you could find some written evidence to support your claims, or you will be basing it purely on your opinion with only your observations for evidence. Are you aiming for Master's credits on this assignment?
:elmo:

I have 2000 words. :frown: Yes it is Masters level, so I know I really need that deeper level of criticality. I know there is some research but I haven't read anything that accurately reflects my viewpoint, (hence the dilemma!) I shall have to delve deeper and hopefully find something relevant and recent! Eugh! Wish me luck!
I work in a school that the kids wouldn't be able to function in at mainstream - either for violent behaviour (all staff are trained in proper restraint and we wear arm guards when working with some pupils), or because even at 16/17 they are still working at p levels or just a bit above. I agree that inclusion works to a certain extent, but some children need extra help - whether that is from a staff member for them, extra supportive programmes, being in a unit in a mainstream school or a special needs school
Original post by balloon_parade
I have 2000 words. :frown: Yes it is Masters level, so I know I really need that deeper level of criticality. I know there is some research but I haven't read anything that accurately reflects my viewpoint, (hence the dilemma!) I shall have to delve deeper and hopefully find something relevant and recent! Eugh! Wish me luck!

From an ERIC search http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/search/simpleSearch.jsp;jsessionid=SWYvIF-54c0rxohLBOqrCQ__.ericsrv004?newSearch=true&eric_sortField=&searchtype=keyword&pageSize=10&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=inclusion+criticism&eric_displayStartCount=1&_pageLabel=ERICSearchResult&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=kw I've found http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/search/recordDetails.jsp?searchtype=keyword&pageSize=10&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=inclusion+criticism&eric_displayStartCount=1&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=kw&_pageLabel=RecordDetails&objectId=0900019b8048a39b&accno=EJ942796&_nfls=false

I can't tell the exact PoV of the author from the abstract, and unfortunately haven't got time to read it (I've a medium term plan to finish!) but it seems to offer some good criticism of current debate, and of course you could look up the articles it references to find more.

Other articles that look like they might help are http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/search/recordDetails.jsp?searchtype=keyword&pageSize=10&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=inclusion&eric_displayStartCount=1&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=kw&_pageLabel=RecordDetails&objectId=0900019b8045af6b&accno=EJ915329&_nfls=false and http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/search/recordDetails.jsp?searchtype=keyword&pageSize=10&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=inclusion&eric_displayStartCount=1&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=kw&_pageLabel=RecordDetails&objectId=0900019b80473dc6&accno=EJ928365&_nfls=false
Original post by FadeToBlackout
Fr
I can't tell the exact PoV of the author from the abstract, and unfortunately haven't got time to read it (I've a medium term plan to finish!) but it seems to offer some good criticism of current debate, and of course you could look up the articles it references to find more.

Fantastic! Thank you! :smile:

Sorry to be a dumbass, but how exactly do you view the full article? These would be fab for my next essay x
Original post by jaime1986
Sorry to be a dumbass, but how exactly do you view the full article? These would be fab for my next essay x

If you click on "Direct Link" which has the DoI number at the bottom of the article, it may take you there directly.

Probably best worth trying from a computer on your university's network, as they might be subscribed and let you in directly. Otherwise, you can faff logging in via Athens or through your university library's website, if they're subscribed to the journal, or however you do it.
Reply 786
If you click on "Direct Link" which has the DoI number at the bottom of the article, it may take you there directly.

Probably best worth trying from a computer on your university's network, as they might be subscribed and let you in directly. Otherwise, you can faff logging in via Athens or through your university library's website, if they're subscribed to the journal, or however you do it.
I'm really sorry for forgetting to go over your AfL paper before hand-in. My own paper took over my life completely last week. Your writing style is lovely - it definitely betrays you as a history graduate!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kensington-Si600-Wireless-Presenter-Pointer/dp/B000FPGP4U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top - I'm currently lusting after this! Does anyone have one (or one similar)?
Original post by Rainy
I'm really sorry for forgetting to go over your AfL paper before hand-in. My own paper took over my life completely last week. Your writing style is lovely - it definitely betrays you as a history graduate!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kensington-Si600-Wireless-Presenter-Pointer/dp/B000FPGP4U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top - I'm currently lusting after this! Does anyone have one (or one similar)?

Cheers- now I'm lusting after one too!

The ones used at uni appear to be over £1k.... :s-smilie: Definitely looking at the cheaper versions! They're such a useful tool, at least 5 times last week I thought, "I wish I had a visualiser to show this!"
I've got one... but the battery mysteriously died before I had chance to use it, and now I'm not sure where it's gone as it got buried in all the stuff I "tidied up" (ie. put into boxes without looking) at the end of last term :frown:
2nd day of placement, wish me luck!

Good luck!

I certainly do. Wish I had a student right now - I fancy a few more free lessons!
Thanks for the wishes of good luck!

Today went really, really well. I feel really supported and pushed, which is definitely what I wanted! Looking forward to getting stuck in, the teacher is 'handing over' her class next Wednesday, so 35 4 and 5 year olds to try and keep in check! Bring it on! :smile:

Hope everyone else on placement is having a great time too!:smile:
Managed to survive a week long 'Teaching & Learning Conference'. It was for our two masters level modules, for which we have to do two 5000 word essays. The experience has made me appreciate our normal classes! The seminars were mixed - primary, secondary and people doing an international pgce in Geneva. Whilst it was interesting to hear different views, a lot of the secondary people were quite rude towards us. I'm not saying all secondary peopele are like that - far from it - but the ones in my seminar group were quite offensive at times. They seem to have this image of primary being all about colouring in and messing around. They don't appreciate that we are teaching around 13 subjects, in some cases laying the foundations upon which everything else is constructed [reading, writing, number awareness, speaking and listening skills etc] and in the later years, we are teaching relatively advanced concepts. Their digs at us having "loads of time" etc did not go down well, I must say. The way I view it, we both have challenges and time pressures and we are both doing very valuable jobs - they are just different. For example, a huge debate occured when we talked about 'deep' learning and 'surface' learning - the secondary pgce people kept talking about just needing to cover the stuff for the test, not having time to really explore it and the focus being purely on getting the A*-C grades. I can understand that pressure, but it is obviously fundamentally different to primary. I don't know... It's just been a bit of a stressful week lol. *sleeps*
OK, *ticks off on fingers*, I've done my planning for the rest of the week, and am feeling reasonably OK about the lesson tomorrow observed by my Faculty tutor, and I've done most of the waffly paperwork in advance of her visit.... Do I plan next week's Literacy now or tomorrow?

I think I might just go to bed!

There's a difference between knowing that a PGCE is going to be a metric ton of work, and actually having a to-do list that covers 2 sides of A4!
OK, *ticks off on fingers*, I've done my planning for the rest of the week, and am feeling reasonably OK about the lesson tomorrow observed by my Faculty tutor, and I've done most of the waffly paperwork in advance of her visit.... Do I plan next week's Literacy now or tomorrow?

There's a difference between knowing that a PGCE is going to be a metric ton of work, and actually having a to-do list that covers 2 sides of A4!

Do this. You need it. I remember arriving home from school during my teaching practice and falling asleep immediately for about 2 hours every night.
Reply 796

Every time! It sounds like tomorrow brings additional stresses to normal - get some downtime! A dram of whisky and some iPlayer for me tonight.

I do my to-do list on post-it notes. I then diamond nine (sixteen, twenty-five...) them on the wall, before reflecting deeply as to what my life has become. Oh, I bought the clicky laser thing and it's definitely worth the outlay if you make a fair amount of use of ppt. Especially useful with KS4/5 where I needn't be tied to the front of the classroom so much.
Start school number 2 tomorrow!! Have to dig out the oyster card, no parking :-(
Original post by Rainy
Every time! It sounds like tomorrow brings additional stresses to normal - get some downtime! A dram of whisky and some iPlayer for me tonight.

I do my to-do list on post-it notes. I then diamond nine (sixteen, twenty-five...) them on the wall, before reflecting deeply as to what my life has become. Oh, I bought the clicky laser thing and it's definitely worth the outlay if you make a fair amount of use of ppt. Especially useful with KS4/5 where I needn't be tied to the front of the classroom so much.

Sounds good. I wonder if I could bodge it to work with Smart IWB software? Hmm.

Annoyingly, although the start of the observed lesson was great, the end part wasn't so good and there's a few things to work on. But I did teach a PE lesson unplanned, to the other class in the yeargroup (of whom I know baout 3 names!) who are more of a handful. and it went really well, so that's a definite positive!

It does mean that I'm doing next week's planning tonight, but, hey-ho.

But then, everyone knows that teaching's a doss job, and you start at ten to nine in the morning, go home at half-three, and get really long holidays....

(7:15am until about 10pm today, I think....)
Reply 799
Sounds good. I wonder if I could bodge it to work with Smart IWB software? Hmm.

Annoyingly, although the start of the observed lesson was great, the end part wasn't so good and there's a few things to work on. But I did teach a PE lesson unplanned, to the other class in the yeargroup (of whom I know baout 3 names!) who are more of a handful. and it went really well, so that's a definite positive!

It does mean that I'm doing next week's planning tonight, but, hey-ho.

But then, everyone knows that teaching's a doss job, and you start at ten to nine in the morning, go home at half-three, and get really long holidays....

(7:15am until about 10pm today, I think....)

Dude, I want to punch anyone who says that. My whole first year I was up at 5am every day, got to work at 7am and worked til about 10pm plus work all weekend as well. Anyone who says teachers have it easy can go die in a hole :p:

Glad your PE lesson went well today. I had a PE lesson with a class I was covering as well. They were actually really good, but there is ALWAYS someone who gets hurt or a bad loser and I hate it lol. Today we played Toilet Tig and one kid fell over then another 2 landed on top of him, smashing his face into the floor. He recovered when I said we were going to play Sea, Ship and Land though.
I do like getting to use my whistle, however :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending