The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How do you update your Facebook status so it says the location on it? Like the the Iphone FB apps.
Original post by itsmyname
So ****ty screen protectors can't cause any damage to the screen at all? Even the adhesive? I know I might be being a bit paranoid but better safe than sorry

cheapie screen protectors tend not to be so smooth. I stick to Phone Devil, well worth it imo (hundreds of reviews on Amazon). The screen has to feel good to the touch, not mess up colour/tint and be easy to wipe clean. Cheap protectors don't always deliver and you can ending buying several therefore wasting your money.
Original post by silent ninja
cheapie screen protectors tend not to be so smooth. I stick to Phone Devil, well worth it imo (hundreds of reviews on Amazon). The screen has to feel good to the touch, not mess up colour/tint and be easy to wipe clean. Cheap protectors don't always deliver and you can ending buying several therefore wasting your money.

Not to worry, apparently it already has a screen protector on! Comes as standard, but it it's a bitch to take off I hear. Doesn't bother me, unless the protector scratches and have to put on a new one.

Original post by whyumadtho
...Adhesive can't damage glass. :s-smilie:

Haha just wanted to make sure, the last piece of technological equipment I had that needed a screen protector was a DSLite, 3-4 years back. :cool:

Original post by Vixen47
You can try the one in your phone and see how it goes, if it's meant to be it will stay on :wink:

I've been using protectors from eBay for as long as I remember (which isn't that long :tongue:) and they've worked really well so far. You can get a few for about a quid =)

Cheers, as I mentioned above won't be needed one now, however I've found an awesome anti-glare one (have seen it in action on a galaxy s2).
Original post by zainjetha
My Transformer Prime should be arriving tomorrow. It has cleared customs in UK.. Super excited.. Nice to have a powerful device running Stock Android with genuinely useful OS additions by ASUS...

Time to get ripping some blu-rays. Those train journeys will never be the same again

How much did you pay for that with delivery etc?
:ahee:

I got ICS on my Desire S... Pretty nice I must say!
So being an android noob this could be nothing, but why the hell do some apps require weird permissions for, I mean well known apps with millions of downloads. Permissions like being able to read/modify my contact list, make phone calls etc
So being an android noob this could be nothing, but why the hell do some apps require weird permissions for, I mean well known apps with millions of downloads. Permissions like being able to read/modify my contact list, make phone calls etc
They may be integrated with the system (require contact information so you can message your friends within the app without having to copy and paste the contact info yourself, for example).
Why do some well known applications require the ability to make calls for me to be able to download it, for example CoPilot which is a GPS programme?

Some permissions put me off downloading apps. Don't want you calling premium rate numbers thank you very much

In reference to this, it requires phone calls because it allows you to call points of interests within the app directly.

For example, if there is a McDonald's nearby, you would press the icon on the map and be able to call them directly, instead of copying and pasting the information into the system dialler.

This video demonstrates the app's features and why it requires contact and phone information:

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheCasual
How do you update your Facebook status so it says the location on it? Like the the Iphone FB apps.

Bump
Reply 6649
Original post by TheCasual
Bump

Do you mean so it will say "TheCasual is at xyz with Bob and Jim"? If so, at the top of the FB app there is a button called check in, press it :smile:

edit: spelling
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6650
Original post by G8D
I think that might be an old version of the app. Now it's within the status thing it'self (it's one of the little map pins).

But I think what he wants is not checking in but rather the little location thing by the date. They tend to me more general like "near London" as opposed to "with x y and 8 others at Jimmy Jenkins Eatery."

But I don't know how to do that through the app nor why you'd want to.

Ah, I'm with you. I too have no idea why one would want to do that :tongue:

Quick side question, as someone new to Android. I have the Galaxy Nexus, and have seen people talking about being on version 4.0.2 and 4.0.3 of Android, but if I check for updates it says there aren't any (I'm on 4.0.1). Will I eventually get the updates? How does it work, is it something that requires rooting?
Reply 6651
Original post by G8D
Should happen automatically. But it's probably down to the carriers to accept it first before they send it out, unless you bought an unlocked model.

Thanks for the info.
Reply 6652
Original post by tface
Quick side question, as someone new to Android. I have the Galaxy Nexus, and have seen people talking about being on version 4.0.2 and 4.0.3 of Android, but if I check for updates it says there aren't any (I'm on 4.0.1). Will I eventually get the updates? How does it work, is it something that requires rooting?

Original post by G8D
Should happen automatically. But it's probably down to the carriers to accept it first before they send it out, unless you bought an unlocked model.

4.0.2 was a minor update that applied only to the US Galaxy Nexus.
4.0.3 was released to developers only three weeks ago. As it's an SDK update there's a larger delay before it rolls out to devices, so you'll probably get an over the air update in the next couple of weeks. (Carriers do not have to accept updates to the Nexus).
Reply 6653
Original post by estel
4.0.2 was a minor update that applied only to the US Galaxy Nexus.
4.0.3 was released to developers only three weeks ago. As it's an SDK update there's a larger delay before it rolls out to devices, so you'll probably get an over the air update in the next couple of weeks. (Carriers do not have to accept updates to the Nexus).

I believe mine is unlocked but I may be wrong as it was a Christmas present, it is definitely unbranded carrier wise and I'm on a SIM only contract, but could it have been bought from for example the T mobile store (I have my SIM only contract with them) still locked?

EDIT - Yeah it is unlocked.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6654
Yeh, all Galaxy Nexus' are sold unlocked.

Original post by G8D
RIGHT.

The keyboard: is it good enough for long use? I plan to use it for lectures etc so need to be fast for hour stints.
Sorry I didn't get the keyboard dock but the onscreen keyboard is good enough for light use

How's your GPS without WiFi? (I don't plan to use it but curious)
I stood outside for about 3 minutes the other night and there were no clouds and I couldn't locate any satellites

How's your WiFi (distance and speed wise)?
WIFI feels like fairly standard wifi. Phone and tablet get the same signal strength sat next to each other

Could you look at this and try about some Office apps and see what's good? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1416220
Google docs is fairly white but I'm going to look around and invest in a decent office suite. I'll tell you more when I do

I may think of more later.

Could you install this and tell me if it's any good? https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dolphin.browser.pad&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5kb2xwaGluLmJyb3dzZXIucGFkIl0.

could you test wired tethering to your phone? I doubt it'll work but it'd be nice.
Wifi tethering works beautifully between my phone and my S2 and dolphin for pad is good but is very much a beta so between that firefox and the stock browser I'm alright but I'm looking forward to the new browser in ICS [quote]
I'm due for a upgrade next month and what should i get?!
Defo a Android.
S2 or Galaxy Nexus?
I know galaxy nexus has the 4.0 android and SII will get that update aswell according to Samsung. So im stuck!
Reply 6657
Original post by 09042850
I'm due for a upgrade next month and what should i get?!
Defo a Android.
S2 or Galaxy Nexus?
I know galaxy nexus has the 4.0 android and SII will get that update aswell according to Samsung. So im stuck!

The main factor is the screen size. I have the Galaxy Nexus, and the screen really is large. I love it but some people may not. Also, as G8D said, the GN should receive updates quicker.

Original post by G8D
Wifi tethering works beautifully between my phone and my S2 and dolphin for pad is good but is very much a beta so between that firefox and the stock browser I'm alright but I'm looking forward to the new browser in ICS

Happy with the purchase? Or relying on ICS to make it worthwhile?

Yeah definitely happy with the purchase and ICS will definitely make it better :smile:
How do I uninstall apps that came with the phone? There's no uninstall option for these apps, but they keep running in the background, and stay running again after I kill them

Latest

Trending

Trending