The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

What you wish you were told about the uni of manchester before coming

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Origami Bullets
According to the UoM accommodation website, Ashburne, Grosvenor Place, Hulme, Opal Gardens, OP, Richmond, St Anselms, Whitworth and Wright Robinson all have them :dontknow:

Not in rooms though.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by theultimateplu
Not in rooms though.

Do students usually use mobile broadband or subscribe to a line within their rooms?
Original post by iamlovinit05
Do students usually use mobile broadband or subscribe to a line within their rooms?

You get an ethernet point in your room, internet is included in rent price.
Reply 83
Not in rooms though.

I have WiFi in my room. Only because I live on the North Campus though.
Original post by gummers
I have WiFi in my room. Only because I live on the North Campus though.

All kinds of crazy shizz goes on up North Campus.
Reply 85
All kinds of crazy shizz goes on up North Campus.

Legend has it, Textiles and Fashion students practice their catwalks outside Sackville building in the summer. But I've not met one Engineer who has come across such sights.

p.s. i like boys
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 86
Heyy, I'm hoping to study psychology at Manchester Uni in september. Does anyone know where I can find pictures of the rooms, particularly at Oak House, Richmond Park and Sheavyn House (basically any self-catered UG accommodation in Fallowfield)? Or could anyone post some or direct me to a good thread? :tongue:
Original post by tara_patel

Heyy, I'm hoping to study psychology at Manchester Uni in september. Does anyone know where I can find pictures of the rooms, particularly at Oak House, Richmond Park and Sheavyn House (basically any self-catered UG accommodation in Fallowfield)? Or could anyone post some or direct me to a good thread? :tongue:

This is Whitworth Park (UG, self-catered, city campus).

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=34866884&highlight=manchester

However, all self-catered rooms are pretty much the same, although the colour of the breezeblock changes, and they may or may not contain basins.

Kitchens have a fridge, chest freezer, two ovens, a microwave, a double sink, and lots of cupboards and worktop space, plus a table and some chairs.

Can take a pic of my room in OH when I get back if ya want.
Reply 89
This is Whitworth Park (UG, self-catered, city campus).

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=34866884&highlight=manchester

However, all self-catered rooms are pretty much the same, although the colour of the breezeblock changes, and they may or may not contain basins.

Kitchens have a fridge, chest freezer, two ovens, a microwave, a double sink, and lots of cupboards and worktop space, plus a table and some chairs.

oh yeah, okay thanks, which is the best, city campus, fallowfield or victoria park?

Can take a pic of my room in OH when I get back if ya want.

that would be great thanks, i think Oak House would suprisingly be my first choice, i've visited a friend who lives there and he loves it, it was pretty cool, the kind of place where if you break stuff it doesn't matter, haha. :smile:
Any girls who are at Manchester already, is having an ensuite much nicer or is it really not that bad sharing showers? I'm thinking Sheavyn would be the best option for me it seems to be the only hall in Fallowfield that has ensuite.
Original post by taylorg292
Any girls who are at Manchester already, is having an ensuite much nicer or is it really not that bad sharing showers? I'm thinking Sheavyn would be the best option for me it seems to be the only hall in Fallowfield that has ensuite.

Richmond has ensuite too

Sharing really isn't an issue IMHO.

The cleaner cleans the bathrooms (which they don't with en suite), and they've never got dirty. If you're concerned about hygiene, then you can wear rubber flip flops - they raise you off the ground just enough to keep you feeling clean (it's an old backpacker trick :wink:)The low student:shower ratio (8:2 in Oak House) means I've never had to wait for the shower.

Plus, en suites are ridiculously expensive - an extra £20-30pw IIRC - definitely not worth it, given that that's more than enough to feed you each week, or enough for two nights out.
Hmm, I'll throw my opinion in.

I was in OP. First off don't be too enticed by tower challenge, people from all the halls around it usually tailgate to try it so it isn't an op exclusive.

I had a mixed experience. On the one hand, you get to know a lot of people, and people are always up for going out. Lots of drugs around the place if that is your thing and it certainly is lively.

However, there are a lot of private school kids. A lot. It's renowned among boarding school circuits it seems and the catered, close proximity thing seems to appeal to them. I never really realised how many boarding schools there were, and they all seem to be in the tower! The 'hipster' is the most common. There was one guy, never went to lectures, always high as a kite, tattoos and rebel without a cause swagger. Turns out he was from harrow and wore a smart jumper when his parents came... Public schoolers tend to stick together too, so I think I was the one state school mate a lot of them had! That can get a bit difficult at times, and I realised in my 2nd year we weren't thought of as highly as the tower itself seems to be here!

There is also only a common room every other floor. If you are on an odd numbered floor, you share with the floor below but it's never really yours I find. Common room is rubbish anyway, so you find that there's 6 or 7 of you per-drinking in a tiny room.

Work wise, you don't get anything done in there. There's a game of FIFA being played, or dub step, or people preparing to go out. I didn't mind that, as first year doesn't count (though don't do too badly or 2nd year will be a nightmare) but for those who want to come to work it probably isn't for you! That being said, I did ok in the end just by using the very nearby computer cluster. Be warned, on the days leading up to essay deadlines across the uni, there are fewer depressing places to be. I was there for 17 hours (open to all years) in one sitting the other day for a deadline.

Food is ok, typical canteen. But free refill drinks, a salad pasta bar and fruit and deserts men you really do get your money's worth quantity wise (though the canteen girls Aren't fond of the girl students!).

Toilets are appalling. Often sick in there (our harrow lad had this idiot mate from another hall who without fail threw up on saturdays, which would not get cleaned till mondays), often no loo roll. Showers however are top notch if you get the one by the bath (yes, they are private). Proper industrial (mostly hot..). Lifts are erratic, so pray you get a low floor! I often thought of the top floor as a separate world, with their own community and system for going to the shop

Overall, I would say the slumming it oak house is the better Experience. The people are much more varied in backgrounds and I found down to earth. The rooms are terrible and toilets awful (as iare OP) but there is a kitchen dining area which you really miss as a place to chill in OP. really annoying hanging out in other peoples rooms after a while!

Richmond is a class act place in terms of room and toilet, but suffers from the problem of OP in that its nicknamed rich mans park. Nonetheless, op has its charm.

Just stay in fallowfield. Many of the city ones are international student focused and fallowfield is so convenient. Gaffs, friendship inn, sainsburys and kebab king. It's all you need.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Captain_Birdseye

Original post by Captain_Birdseye
Gaffs, friendship inn, sainsburys and kebab king. It's all you need.

Couldn't have put it better myself :tongue:
Reply 95
Couldn't have put it better myself :tongue:

I was going to quote that too :rolleyes:
Sharing really isn't an issue IMHO.

The cleaner cleans the bathrooms (which they don't with en suite), and they've never got dirty. If you're concerned about hygiene, then you can wear rubber flip flops - they raise you off the ground just enough to keep you feeling clean (it's an old backpacker trick :wink:)The low student:shower ratio (8:2 in Oak House) means I've never had to wait for the shower.

Plus, en suites are ridiculously expensive - an extra £20-30pw IIRC - definitely not worth it, given that that's more than enough to feed you each week, or enough for two nights out.

Hmm okay, I had visions of gross showers etc but that sounds fine. I'm on a gap year at the moment, working and probs not going to travel so I should be able to afford the extra cost. Is it possible to get any work done in Oak House? I want to be in sociable halls but from what I've read Oak House sounds like a nightmare.

Hmm okay, I had visions of gross showers etc but that sounds fine. I'm on a gap year at the moment, working and probs not going to travel so I should be able to afford the extra cost. Is it possible to get any work done in Oak House? I want to be in sociable halls but from what I've read Oak House sounds like a nightmare.

Yeah, I've never had any real difficulty with the noise. Yes, it's a fairly sociable hall, but after the first 6 weeks or so everything calmed down a lot. You still get a bit of noise outside when people are leaving to go out, but I've never had a false fire alarm (that's not to say I've never had one, but they've always been caused by cooking-related ineptitude!) either.
Reply 98
It rains a lot and being Scouse certainly helps break the ice. :smile:

Darren
Original post by gummers
Legend has it, Textiles and Fashion students practice their catwalks outside Sackville building in the summer. But I've not met one Engineer who has come across such sights.

Hey, just wondering if you're doing engineering at Manchester? (Educated guess from your post)
Manchester is my first choice and I'm planning on doing engineering as well, wondering what it's like if you can tell me anything about it? Any info is greatly appreciated :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest