The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tausif
the admission gives a score to your personal statement and reference. they then choose a cut off score which means anybody below that particular score is eliminated from the process. Applicants above the cut off score will then be chosen for interview.

Cut off score depends upon factors such as how strong the application pool is, how many plp admission wants to interview etc.

As far as I know from reading last year's thread, they do not take into account UKCAT score.

hope it's clear now:smile:

Yep, :smile: that's great. Thanks :biggrin:
Interview dates will start coming out again soon. Uni doesn't open until the 10th but there may be a few going out earlier depending on when the admin team get back in!
Original post by BethaneyJ
Interview dates will start coming out again soon. Uni doesn't open until the 10th but there may be a few going out earlier depending on when the admin team get back in!

looool ! I can't be the only one who had a nyc holiday of no email checking and then felt a sudden pang of fear when I read this :tongue:

Thanks for the heads up! :L
Original post by BethaneyJ
I'll get onto it soon but basically is as follows:

Mon - off
Tues - 9 - 5 of lectures
Weds - Alternates between 9 -1 of placement and 9 - 1 of lectures
Thursday - 9 - 5 lectures.
Fri - off

The days off are to be used however you need them. Coursework is quite prominent in BM6 so there is usually something that you could do, but you won't be spending all your days off working for uni. Lots of people get a job etc.

I have completed BM6 and have now started the 5 year course.

The course is divided into 2 semesters with 2 units that run through the year. In both semesters you'll have Human structure and function and professional practice. You'll have coursework and exams for both of these. HSF is biology and PP is sociology and psychology. The support is great. You have 2 main lecturers who are there for support but you also get a personal tutor and a pastoral tutor who you can go to about anything. The uni also has counselling and independent advice for careers etc. The pastoral tutor (Tessa) is marvellous and you really can go to her with any issue ever and she'll have heard it before and help you through it. Carolyn and Sally (main lecturers) are also amazing and are so wise on all things life-related. So there is loads of support. There is also loads of financial support when things get tough and bursaries and grants available too.

It is very different from BM5. BM5 has fewer pieces of coursework, but there are lectures 9 -5 every day except wednesday and there is a lot less teaching as such. BM6 is slower and they teach you thoroughly, BM5 is all about how much they can squeeze into 45 minutes! There are little workshops and group study in BM5, and also a lot more anatomy. You have patient interaction in BM5, none in BM6 (placement is about watching the professionals, not talking to patients.). Don't forget though, at the end of BM6 you start BM5 so you'll end up doing both!

Good aspects:
Short week, great support, great lecturers, amazing friends to be made, small classes

Bad aspects:
Don't feel nearly as prepared for BM5 as I'd like to have been as they're too different for me!, they don't get you started on anatomy as you'll be too far ahead of the BM5s but it would have been really useful, you miss it when it's gone.

Note to current BM6ers or future BM6ers:

Use your free BM6 time to start learning some anatomy!

Ah thanks for the great insight. Mucho appreciated :biggrin:
Original post by sumsum123
looool ! I can't be the only one who had a nyc holiday of no email checking and then felt a sudden pang of fear when I read this :tongue:

Thanks for the heads up! :L

Same here! :laugh:
Reply 1245
I've learnt to always be on guard. Who knows when a track email could come in. :s-smilie:
Are there only 26 places?

And how do you know if you full fill the eligibility

You must satisfy two of the eligibility criteria listed below in order to be eligible for the BM6 programme, and you will be expected to provide documentary proof.

first generation applicant to higher education
parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit
looked-after young people living in supported accommodation
in receipt of an EMA (Education Maintenance Award) or similar grant
living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

My parents have not been to university - I'll be a first gen applicant?

What means tested benefit? Any examples?

I was supposed to get EMA, does this still apply?

No idea about the postcode thing, is there a search function on their site?
Original post by ieatcheeseyo

You must satisfy two of the eligibility criteria listed below in order to be eligible for the BM6 programme, and you will be expected to provide documentary proof.

living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

Are you applying next year?
Reply 1248

If neither of your parents have been to uni then you are a first gen applicant.

http://www.nhs.uk/CarersDirect/moneyandlegal/carersbenefits/Pages/Means-testedbenefits.aspx

No it doesn't.

No one does really. But if you call up they can give you a website you can use I think.
Original post by IamBeowulf
Are you applying next year?

"Researching" Degrees

Either BM6 aat southampton or BioMed, Biology... then maybe post grad medicine if Undergrad doesn't work out..

You?
Original post by Medican
If neither of your parents have been to uni then you are a first gen applicant.

http://www.nhs.uk/CarersDirect/moneyandlegal/carersbenefits/Pages/Means-testedbenefits.aspx

No it doesn't.

No one does really. But if you call up they can give you a website you can use I think.

Thank You :biggrin:
Reply 1251
Thank You :biggrin:

No probs.

yes.....

it says on the website....but for some crazy reason child tax credits are on there.....which pretty much everyone gets....

no...you actually need to get it...

no....but there is a website you can check....the link is somewhere on this thread
Original post by infernalcradle
yes.....

it says on the website....but for some crazy reason child tax credits are on there.....which pretty much everyone gets....

no...you actually need to get it...

no....but there is a website you can check....the link is somewhere on this thread

There's no EMA any more though?

Okay thanks
There's no EMA any more though?

Okay thanks

then what the equivalent now is....

failing that....phone them up and ask as they can give you a definite answer....
Love how people have disliked his original comment with innocent questions about the course... amusing how we see other applicants as just competition :P

...Hope everybody had happy holidays =D
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1256
Original post by a05aafzul
Love how people have disliked his original comment with innocent questions about the course... amusing how we see other applicants as just competition :P

I think people begged because its quite basic knowledge tbh that you could find in a minute. But negging was unnecessary tbh.
Reply 1257
Original post by a05aafzul

...Hope everybody had happy holidays =D

The information is available it takes just seconds to look it up.

People see other applicants as competition because they are competition.
Reply 1258
Just read this posted by someone on the thread for the standard course:

apparently whole uni is going through an IT upgrade so they wont have access to computers until at least middle of next week. They expect to be playing catch up of xmas emails and wont be sending anything out until very end of Jan at the earliest!
Reply 1259
Original post by Medican

Original post by Medican
Just read this posted by someone on the thread for the standard course:

I saw the same post yesterday but didn't think much of it..... Even more suspense then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending