The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beska

Original post by Beska
I've just emailed the library about it, maybe they can do something. I've had a little play on the dentistry one and if the regional ones are as good then wow! The best online anatomy resource we have is a video of some guy from the 60's talking through the prosection of a cadaver. :p:

Aclands? :p:
Reply 7961
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Aclands? :p:

Yes! :biggrin:
Burning the midnight oil.
Reply 7963
Original post by Beska
Yes! :biggrin:

Achland's is literally the best anatomy series ever. I have the entire catalogue (volumes 1-6) saved on my hard drive. People hate it and say its too old but I can't learn anatomy without it. Helped me revise bones of the skull and the cranial nerves today :biggrin:
Original post by SabreT

Original post by SabreT
Achland's is literally the best anatomy series ever. I have the entire catalogue (volumes 1-6) saved on my hard drive. People hate it and say its too old but I can't learn anatomy without it. Helped me revise bones of the skull and the cranial nerves today :biggrin:

Thats the one Birmingham uses! :smile: I thought it was just them being cheap...
I am really under prepared for my Formatives on the 9th!
The only thing I know about Cranial Nerves is their names, and that stupid mnemonic. Id imagine thats not enough.

Anyone got any idea about how I can cram the Cardiac, Respiratory, Renal, Gastrointestinal and vascular systems, and the Brain, into 4 days of revision?? :frown:
Original post by planetconwy1
I am really under prepared for my Formatives on the 9th!
The only thing I know about Cranial Nerves is their names, and that stupid mnemonic. Id imagine thats not enough.

Anyone got any idea about how I can cram the Cardiac, Respiratory, Renal, Gastrointestinal and vascular systems, and the Brain, into 4 days of revision?? :frown:

Probably the worst advice ever, but if these are formative, then surely you shouldn't be killing yourself to do amazing in these...
Original post by FFCrusader
This came up on facebook.

LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8GcE6sWjs

I finally understand why pre-freshers are scum here..

As a pre-fresher I would attempt to see why that was funny..
As a fresher I realise that that is sadly true..

If I get to progress to second year onwards then **** knows what I would think....

Anyway time to see away my McDonalds having gone to "tables" (said loosely since it's not the same since union has close :frown:) and then cheapskates..
Might as well be a waster as a fresher :cheers:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
I finally understand why pre-freshers are scum here..

As a pre-fresher I would attempt to see why that was funny..
As a fresher I realise that that is sadly true..

If I get to progress to second year onwards then **** knows what I would think....

Anyway time to see away my McDonalds having gone to "tables" (said loosely since it's not the same since union has close :frown:) and then cheapskates..
Might as well be a waster as a fresher :cheers:

Is Tables like your sportsnight? And where do you guys go for cheapskates, may I ask? Our wonderful place of choice is The Roxy. How I love to spend my thursday mornings woozily picking broken glass out of my shoes and wondering how on earth it's possible to get such filthy feet when you're inside and wearing both shoes and tights the entire time instead of going to my 9am lecture... or my 11am... or my 2pm. I'm just curious as to whether clubs where you're probably going to get syphilis from touching the person next to you and where you see more worryingly realistic drag (and they're probably a fresher) than in the backstreets of soho is a trend across london.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jessaay!
Is Tables like your sportsnight? And where do you guys go for cheapskates, may I ask? Our wonderful place of choice is The Roxy. How I love to spend my thursday mornings woozily picking broken glass out of my shoes and wondering how on earth it's possible to get such filthy feet when you're inside and wearing both shoes and tights the entire time instead of going to my 9am lecture... or my 11am... or my 2pm.

Yeah tables is the night sports team get together and play their drinking games/drink far too much etc.
The rowing table is best of course :colone:

Cheapskates for us seems to be at Moonlighting... though as you can tell I'm back at 2am-ish so it wasn't brilliant :noway:
UCL is near so is the roxy worth going to?
Also have you been to ULU? Not been yet and haven't actually found someone that has...

Skipping lectures at 2pm as a 3rd year?
My role model :adore:
What I plan to happen over christmas:

1. Get fit (haven't been to the gym in too long and I have a lot of races coming up).
2. Catch up on work (pretty much everything from this term).
3. Write my Global Health SSC essay

What will actually happen over Christmas:

1. Get fat.
2. Procrastinate
3. Procrastinate

My christmas predictions came true.
Yeah tables is the night sports team get together and play their drinking games/drink far too much etc.
The rowing table is best of course :colone:

Cheapskates for us seems to be at Moonlighting... though as you can tell I'm back at 2am-ish so it wasn't brilliant :noway:
UCL is near so is the roxy worth going to?
Also have you been to ULU? Not been yet and haven't actually found someone that has...

Skipping lectures at 2pm as a 3rd year?
My role model :adore:

1. Obviously rowing is the best, that's a given at any university.

2. Moonlighting! Moonies mondays are the place to be as a fresher or a second year. Unfortunately I've only been a couple of times this year as I suddenly feel too old. Isn't it a nightmare for you guys to get back? Things about the drag queens and broken glass definitely apply then. The only thing that I can say makes the roxy more sophisticated than moonies is the lack of the oggy oggy ****ing oggy man

3. Roxy is pretty worth it on a Wednesday, but absolutely packed. It's as variable as moonies, if you know a lot of people there you can have an awesome time but to have an awesome time you also have to be off your face so you are drunk enough to not realise how beautifully terrible it is.

4. Yeah I've been to ULU. Mostly because UCL is so close. I like it. It's got quite a communal feel to it and actually because people can easily go to their own student union and be cliquey with people they know, when people go to ULU they seem to be more likely to talk to people they don't know and you find on the average night there you end up talking to more utterly random people than you would do otherwise. It gets packed on fridays but they're actually quite quick at serving people. It's also pretty big and there is one bar that is for relaxing, chatting and there's a balcony which can be useful in summer, and the other bar is for the same but has a dance floor and louder music and is more clubby. It's a good place. I'd recommend it. Though if crew dates is anything like it was last year (you been told about that by your boat club yet?) we'll probably end up going then and it's messy. But barts might not come, they didn't last year :wink:

What year are you actually in now - I lose track :p:
1. Obviously rowing is the best, that's a given at any university.

2. Moonlighting! Moonies mondays are the place to be as a fresher or a second year. Unfortunately I've only been a couple of times this year as I suddenly feel too old. Isn't it a nightmare for you guys to get back? Things about the drag queens and broken glass definitely apply then. The only thing that I can say makes the roxy more sophisticated than moonies is the lack of the oggy oggy ****ing oggy man

3. Roxy is pretty worth it on a Wednesday, but absolutely packed. It's as variable as moonies, if you know a lot of people there you can have an awesome time but to have an awesome time you also have to be off your face so you are drunk enough to not realise how beautifully terrible it is.

4. Yeah I've been to ULU. Mostly because UCL is so close. I like it. It's got quite a communal feel to it and actually because people can easily go to their own student union and be cliquey with people they know, when people go to ULU they seem to be more likely to talk to people they don't know and you find on the average night there you end up talking to more utterly random people than you would do otherwise. It gets packed on fridays but they're actually quite quick at serving people. It's also pretty big and there is one bar that is for relaxing, chatting and there's a balcony which can be useful in summer, and the other bar is for the same but has a dance floor and louder music and is more clubby. It's a good place. I'd recommend it. Though if crew dates is anything like it was last year (you been told about that by your boat club yet?) we'll probably end up going then and it's messy. But barts might not come, they didn't last year :wink:

1. Appreciates rowing is awesome.. you must be a rower! :biggrin:

2. Mondays won't work for me this year.. PBLs are on tuesdays and fridays.. so I'll be doing PBL on monday night and a lot of people won't be wanting to go out the night before :sigh:
I walked back from moonies tonight and it took a while but it wasn't that bad :dontknow:

3. Doubt I'll try that for a while then... esp since I doubt any BL freshers know of it.. or I don't know any UCL grads at least..

4. That sounds pretty awesome! Will definitely try to go there as a fresher and will get mates involved :yep:
I've heard nothing of crew dates :no:
But BLBC has grown a lot this year and don't underestimate us.. your RUMS lot may have beaten us at freshers sprints but it's not over yet :colone:
If I know when and where then we will make sure there is enough for one boat at this event :cheers:

Can't believe a RUMS woman rower has been hiding on here..
Original post by Philosoraptor
What year are you actually in now - I lose track :p:

Coursewise, year 2, but really my third year. I swear there has been some sort of biological change this year that happened on the first day of term that's made me more grumpy and it seems to have happened for most of my friends too. It's sad to think the good days are over :frown:
1. Appreciates rowing is awesome.. you must be a rower! :biggrin:

2. Mondays won't work for me this year.. PBLs are on tuesdays and fridays.. so I'll be doing PBL on monday night and a lot of people won't be wanting to go out the night before :sigh:
I walked back from moonies tonight and it took a while but it wasn't that bad :dontknow:

3. Doubt I'll try that for a while then... esp since I doubt any BL freshers know of it.. or I don't know any UCL grads at least..

4. That sounds pretty awesome! Will definitely try to go there as a fresher and will get mates involved :yep:
I've heard nothing of crew dates :no:
But BLBC has grown a lot this year and don't underestimate us.. your RUMS lot may have beaten us at freshers sprints but it's not over yet :colone:
If I know when and where then we will make sure there is enough for one boat at this event :cheers:

Can't believe a RUMS woman rower has been hiding on here..

I was quite the opposite of hiding last year, I was probably too active. My activity has declined on spending less time pretending to do work but not any more time actually doing work (quite the riddle!). A couple of times last year on this very night of the week I'd get wasted freshers asking me if I was "Jessaay" or other versions of my username and, equally as wasted, I'd first get very confused, then get a little embarrassed.

Your guys did turn up for crew dates on the whole but didn't go to ULU. Incredibly antisocial. Basically it's a fairly debaucherous night where each team is allocated another team of the opposite sex from another med school and you go for a curry on a brick lane BYOB place, probably don't actually eat the curry but get wasted and then many people are almost guaranteed to have sex. I think they put something in the curry. It's actually incredible how many people get laid in one night.
I was quite the opposite of hiding last year, I was probably too active. My activity has declined on spending less time pretending to do work but not any more time actually doing work (quite the riddle!). A couple of times last year on this very night of the week I'd get wasted freshers asking me if I was "Jessaay" or other versions of my username and, equally as wasted, I'd first get very confused, then get a little embarrassed.

Your guys did turn up for crew dates on the whole but didn't go to ULU. Incredibly antisocial. Basically it's a fairly debaucherous night where each team is allocated another team of the opposite sex from another med school and you go for a curry on a brick lane BYOB place, probably don't actually eat the curry but get wasted and then many people are almost guaranteed to have sex. I think they put something in the curry. It's actually incredible how many people get laid in one night.

:rofl:
In that case I fear you may be an older wiser version of myself :tongue:
Though I'd use TSR to enhance relations :sexface:
I can see why that would be embarassing though! :colone:

That sounds.... awesome :sexface:
I'm surprised and disappointed my seniors didn't go to that.. bet the social secs weren't as good as this years :nah:
Did that night of debauchery include you then? :tongue:
Original post by sweetchilli
Think that if they got them privately and want them removed (not enough evidence currently - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16395244) then they should foot the bill.

That was my gut instinct but then I thought that people smoke and we put them back together, people do dangerous activities like mountain biking etc and we still treat them no matter what. Why not these women who have suffered from no fault of their own?
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy
That was my gut instinct but then I thought that people smoke and we put them back together, people do dangerous activities like mountain biking etc and we still treat them no matter what. Why not these women who have suffered from no fault of their own?

I did read an interesting argument that if you wish to pay for private (medically unnecessary) surgery, you should also have to pay for private medical insurance to cover the complications of that surgery, such as removal. In the case of implants after mastectomy, then the NHS should certainly be doing the removal/replacement, but it isn't their place to fix botched private procedures. The company is bankrupt so there's no chance of reclaiming the costs. Apparently Nuffield hospitals are going to pay for removal for patients who had implants done with them, which sounds like the fairest option for the meantime.
Reply 7979

Ditto that. Haven't done any fitness, haven't done nearly enough work, haven't done my SSC essay.

:frown: