The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2800
any singaporeans here going to oxford next year??
Reply 2801
Original post by bpbp
any singaporeans here going to oxford next year??

I'm most probably going to Oxford :smile:
Reply 2802
Original post by perpend
I'm most probably going to Oxford :smile:

cool! which college and course? I'm gonna do physics @ new!
Reply 2803
Original post by bpbp
cool! which college and course? I'm gonna do physics @ new!

Maths at Somerville!
Might be going to Manchester for Finance. Anyone there?
Original post by ofssinfoxes
I also received an unconditional offer this year, which means the university does not require me to do anything to hold a spot for me. But from what I understand (and if anyone can correct me, PLEASE do so), I will need the IELTS to get a visa to study in that university.

So ultimately yes. It's for the borders control, not your university.

So what's the minimum IELTS requirement for the visa?
Original post by fellowjoe
So what's the minimum IELTS requirement for the visa?

Well, I haven't received any specific instructions from the RVC, but Edinburgh has requested me to get at least a 7 in all sections.... Do you have any idea what that means? haha, I wonder if it's something I need to prepare for?
Well, I haven't received any specific instructions from the RVC, but Edinburgh has requested me to get at least a 7 in all sections.... Do you have any idea what that means? haha, I wonder if it's something I need to prepare for?

7 in all sections is... quite tough in my opinion.

But maybe you can call up Edinburgh and ask them if you can substitute your GP or GCSE O level English instead. You're considered international student, so shouldn't be that difficult i guess :smile:
Original post by fellowjoe
7 in all sections is... quite tough in my opinion.

But maybe you can call up Edinburgh and ask them if you can substitute your GP or GCSE O level English instead. You're considered international student, so shouldn't be that difficult i guess :smile:

Oh crap, really? That's unbelievable. Because I believe what Edinburgh has requested for is what's required for the visa.
Anyway, I'm actually from an international school, so I never took GPs and O levels :redface: But I presented my SATs and ACTs and APs, but apparently they're insufficient to prove my engrish profikency :s-smilie:
Reply 2809
hey just to clarify - if my offer only states i have to show my cert, then do i have to take IELTS?
Reply 2810
Hey, during my O Levels I went through some past papers compiled by Singapore exam boards and they really helped, can someone link me to an website which sells these and ships internationally? I can't find any on the websites I use for buying books (Amazon/Barnes and Nobles etc.)
Original post by M.R.
Hey, during my O Levels I went through some past papers compiled by Singapore exam boards and they really helped, can someone link me to an website which sells these and ships internationally? I can't find any on the websites I use for buying books (Amazon/Barnes and Nobles etc.)

I think it's called Ten Year Series (TYS). Not sure if these things are shipped internationally (I think it's a Singapore thing...?). Try googling and see if there are places where you can pay online and download? Sorry, not very sure about this. Unless you can get someone to buy and send to you.

Original post by bpbp
hey just to clarify - if my offer only states i have to show my cert, then do i have to take IELTS?

I think it's best to clarify with the school that gave you your offer. No harm just checking.

Oh crap, really? That's unbelievable. Because I believe what Edinburgh has requested for is what's required for the visa.
Anyway, I'm actually from an international school, so I never took GPs and O levels :redface: But I presented my SATs and ACTs and APs, but apparently they're insufficient to prove my engrish profikency :s-smilie:

Hmm actually it's not that difficult to get 7 in all sections. IELTS is already considered easier than the TOEFL (so I heard...I only took IELTS). If you're in Singapore, you could take the classes offered by the British Council. There're lots of material you can download from BitTorrent too.

Oh no no no no. If you've been doing english in Singapore since forever, it shouldn't be too tough. I sat for the IELTS mid november last year, with maybe 2 hours of preparation. (like familiarizing myself with the format and doing a few practice questions online) I had more than 7 for every segment. It's possible really.
Reply 2813
heelllo all. any fellow sgreans here in london? just moved into the city not long ago, lemme know if you are here and like to hang out some time!
Original post by kolezlaw
heelllo all. any fellow sgreans here in london? just moved into the city not long ago, lemme know if you are here and like to hang out some time!

There are so many :smile: Maybe you should search for the Facebook group or something :smile:
ok i know these two places are vastly different but...

is any singaporean here going to melbourne or UBC this fall ?
Reply 2816
Still not sure whether we have to take IELTS in order to get a visa for 2012 :/
Reply 2817
Original post by Metastasis
There are so many :smile: Maybe you should search for the Facebook group or something :smile:

did that but fb kinda too open if u know what i mean =p
anyone happen to be studying art disciplines?
ill be heading to london to study fashion from this sept!
Reply 2819
anyone thinking of going to southampton this sept? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest