The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6980
Original post by Tateco
:frown:

Good luck! Hope you fair better than I did :smile:

My friend got an offer from Sidney, and it's been a while since the school got an economist into Cambridge. I'd be surprised if they're lucky to get two in one year. I'll take pooling, if I'm pooled, as a rejection and move on.
Reply 6981
Original post by Dat Guy
My friend got an offer from Sidney, and it's been a while since the school got an economist into Cambridge. I'd be surprised if they're lucky to get two in one year. I'll take pooling, if I'm pooled, as a rejection and move on.

What I've done, being fished is ridiculously unlikely
Reply 6982
Original post by Tateco
What I've done, being fished is ridiculously unlikely

Being from Emma, I suppose you have higher chances.
Original post by Tateco
How did you come to that conclusion? Why would they auto-pool people for economics if admissions tutors didn't want it to be done? It wouldn't be very difficult to put us economists with the meds an Maths would it?

Perhaps I'm wrong but I just get the impression than a lot of people meet the automatic pooling criteria whereas not as many impress in the interview. If you do well in the interview you are placed in a 'better' pool category which means you are more likely to get an offer. I think that those who get in the automatic category have a chance but a lessened one.
Reply 6984
Original post by stefl14
Perhaps I'm wrong but I just get the impression than a lot of people meet the automatic pooling criteria whereas not as many impress in the interview. If you do well in the interview you are placed in a 'better' pool category which means you are more likely to get an offer. I think that those who get in the automatic category have a chance but a lessened one.

A lot of people meet criteria? Average grades at Camb are A*A*A. Don't know if you feel like working to get 4 A*s is something 'everybody does' but I wouldn't exactly deem it ordinary.
Original post by Tateco
Not sure, I think it's true. What do you think our chances are of being fished? :s-smilie:

Well each college has stats on how many get pooled.
Here - http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/statistics/docs/ec.pdf

In the last 4 cycles 2 eco students from Emma got pooled and fished by other colleges.

For me it's just 1 :frown::frown::frown:

Clare College do really well, as well as Gonville and Caius. As well as Queens.
Reply 6986
Original post by stefl14

I don't agree, like I said if none f the admissions tutors wanted people from that category then they would just get rid of it... Chances may be less likely but interviews are very subjected, I just think people who have been auto pooled are more likely to get re-interviewed before being given an offer
Reply 6987
Original post by WalkerPrince
Well each college has stats on how many get pooled.
Here - http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/statistics/docs/ec.pdf

In the last 4 cycles 2 eco students from Emma got pooled and fished by other colleges.

For me it's just 1 :frown::frown::frown:

Clare College do really well, as well as Gonville and Caius. As well as Queens.

I've seen those statistics, but I don't think they can be extrapolated, the stats are so volatile so I guess we just need to wait and see.
Original post by wit-tank
A lot of people meet criteria? Average grades at Camb are A*A*A. Don't know if you feel like working to get 4 A*s is something 'everybody does' but I wouldn't exactly deem it ordinary.

Well for economics (at least at the college I got an offer from) the average student who is accepted has 95% average at AS. You would assume for this reason that someone getting similar grades who did not perform that well at interview has only a small chance of getting in. As I said before, I'm only speculating here and everyone who is pooled does have a chance regardless of what I say.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tateco
I've seen those statistics, but I don't think they can be extrapolated, the stats are so volatile so I guess we just need to wait and see.

Why not? I think they are probably the best we have.

At the very least they tell us which are the 'good' colleges for pooled applicants?

I see what you could be saying though...
do candidates get to know which category they are pooled into?
Reply 6991
Original post by tooambitious
do candidates get to know which category they are pooled into?

No, not unless you miss the auto-pooling requirements.
Reply 6992
How do people? Anyone on here applied to (or considering applying to) any European universities or further? A friend of mine applied to Maastricht last year and he loves it, has kinda persuaded me to give it a shot! And now I'm considering applying to Amsterdam, Utrecht and the Hong Kong University of Science and technology, anyone done the same?
Reply 6993
Original post by stefl14
Well for economics (at least at the college I got an offer from) the average student who is accepted has 95% average at AS. You would assume for this reason that someone getting similar grades who did not perform that well at interview has only a small chance of getting in. As I said before, I'm only speculating here and everyone who is pooled does have a chance regardless of what I say.

Are you already at Camb or did you just get your offer? Yeah I've got my grades so UMS doesn't really bother me. Interviews are part of the application not all of it.
My point is, if Cambridge bother to make auto-pooling requirements and set them at 3a*s then they clearly deem this a good level to sieve of those who don't deserve it- and once they've publicised this stuff, they need to stick to it!
Original post by zxh800
No, not unless you miss the auto-pooling requirements.

Reply 6995
Original post by Dat Guy

Did he get his offer today ?
I am seriously confused as to why some people receive it on the 5th and some on the 6th. Is it because they actually send some letters out later than others or is it simply because of postal time difference between areas. Do you and your friend live in the same area or in different areas ? I know someone who applied to sidney but he hasn't received his letter yet.
Reply 6996
Original post by MWM
I am seriously confused as to why some people receive it on the 5th and some on the 6th. Is it because they actually send some letters out later than others or is it simply because of postal time difference between areas. Do you and your friend live in the same area or in different areas ? I know someone who applied to sidney but he hasn't received his letter yet.

I have yet to receive a letter, a lot of my friends have already and we all live in the same borough and some in the same area. I guess it's a mystery :frown:.
Reply 6997
Original post by MWM

Same area, but surprisingly my letter hasn't arrived.
Reply 6998
Original post by zxh800
I have yet to receive a letter, a lot of my friends have already and we all live in the same borough and some in the same area. I guess it's a mystery :frown:.

If you live in the same area as your friends and they received it today but you haven't then that is some strong evidence that they sent yours out later than theirs , no ? Did you apply to the same college and course ?
Reply 6999
Original post by MWM

Postal systems aren't perfect

Latest

Trending

Trending