The Student Room Group

Family moving abroad, no home, where to stay at uni?

I know that this night be seen as a bit pre emptive, I will technically be applying for university this year, and due to circumstance it is Necessary scary to at least start thinking about this now.

I currently live in London, however my family is planning to move abroad in 2013 as soon as I leave for university. This presents an issue about accommodation, I am forced to live in halls, though I was planning to move away from London anyway, however I have no home to go back to during the long holidays.

I could go abroad every holiday, but the place we're moving to gets boring quick, and I would probably like to see my uni friends during the holidays. I'm also aware that you can get long hall lets, however this wouldn't be for the whole year would it, and would probably be expensive right? My parents suggested maybe buying/renting a flat near my university, but this would also be pricey, and I wouldn't be in halls which is apparently essential for the uni experience. My own personal idea was to maybe move into a local B&B during the holidays?

Any ideas/solutions would be appreciated, has anyone been in this situation before? I guess I'll technically become an international student eh.

TL;DR: Parents moving away, therefore nowhere to stay for holidays, help? Thanks :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
To be honest, almost everyone else will be going home, so if you are around in the holidays, it'll only be the people that live really close that'll be there. Unless you have a job near uni that allows you to save, staying over the summer is more expensive than going home for most people.

My parents live abroad and I just went home to them last summer. It was boring, but I don't think it would have been much less boring if I'd have been at uni because almost everyone else had gone home too. In fact a lot of my uni friends are away longer than I am in the holidays; because they live closer and they don't have to plan getting back (while I have to book flights etc) they don't come back until after me.

You might find once you've got a shared house though that you can stay there over the summer if you want; very much depends on what arrangement you've got. My landlord doesn't mind us staying over the summer for example. If you can't and really don't want to go home, you could try getting a summer job that comes with accomodation (like working in a holiday camp etc.) or stay in a hostel or something. :dontknow:
Reply 2
Original post by heidigirl
To be honest, almost everyone else will be going home, so if you are around in the holidays, it'll only be the people that live really close that'll be there. Unless you have a job near uni that allows you to save, staying over the summer is more expensive than going home for most people.

My parents live abroad and I just went home to them last summer. It was boring, but I don't think it would have been much less boring if I'd have been at uni because almost everyone else had gone home too. In fact a lot of my uni friends are away longer than I am in the holidays; because they live closer and they don't have to plan getting back (while I have to book flights etc) they don't come back until after me.

You might find once you've got a shared house though that you can stay there over the summer if you want; very much depends on what arrangement you've got. My landlord doesn't mind us staying over the summer for example. If you can't and really don't want to go home, you could try getting a summer job that comes with accomodation (like working in a holiday camp etc.) or stay in a hostel or something.:dontknow:

Oh yeah, didn't think about everyone else leaving during the summer :facepalm2: but why wouldn't it have been much less boring staying, wouldn't people meet up and stuff during the summer? Yeah maybe might just have to organize a job or holiday or something for part of the summer and just suffer the resT out with my parents.

What about the other holidays, Easter and Christmas? Did you go abroad for those too?
Original post by PopDaRouge

x

A lot of university tenancies include the Christmas and Easter holidays. However, everyone goes home (certainly over Christmas, probably the same at Easter too). I had to stay for a few days past the end of term this xmas and everyone else had gone home. The nearest thing to human contact I had was the till in Sainsburys telling me that there was an 'unexpected item in bagging area' FML. You'll be a lot better off going home to your family, especially over Christmas.

Typically, universities offer you the option to extend your tenancy over the summer. It's primarily designed for those who live overseas and can't afford to go home and those who have grown up in care etc. However, you'll often find that the tenancy for your second year house will start at the beginning of the summer anyway. Make sure you negotiate with your landlord to allow you to live there during the summer though!
I know that this night be seen as a bit pre emptive, I will technically be applying for university this year, and due to circumstance it is Necessary scary to at least start thinking about this now.

I currently live in London, however my family is planning to move abroad in 2013 as soon as I leave for university. This presents an issue about accommodation, I am forced to live in halls, though I was planning to move away from London anyway, however I have no home to go back to during the long holidays.

I could go abroad every holiday, but the place we're moving to gets boring quick, and I would probably like to see my uni friends during the holidays. I'm also aware that you can get long hall lets, however this wouldn't be for the whole year would it, and would probably be expensive right? My parents suggested maybe buying/renting a flat near my university, but this would also be pricey, and I wouldn't be in halls which is apparently essential for the uni experience. My own personal idea was to maybe move into a local B&B during the holidays?

Any ideas/solutions would be appreciated, has anyone been in this situation before? I guess I'll technically become an international student eh.

TL;DR: Parents moving away, therefore nowhere to stay for holidays, help? Thanks :h:

Living in a B&B would be even more expensive than renting a flat. Personally, if you don't want to go home for the duration of the holidays, then I would rent a private student house. You'd live with other students but student houses (i.e. the ones that 2nd/3rd years live in, although there are normally plenty of 1st years who didn't get a place in halls) tend to be on a 12 month rent, so you'd get to live there all year if you chose to. And obviously you wouldn't be isolated because you'd be living with other students. Halls, in my opinion, are overrated... the only "experience" I've had from them is mess, constant noise and a bad internet connection.

Personally, I would go home during the holidays though. It'd most probably be cheaper (although I guess it depends on how far away your parents are moving) and surely you'd want to see your family. Also, most of your uni friends will go back home during the holidays anyway so it's not as if they'll all still be there for you to hang around with. You'll see them during term time, let the holidays be for your family and enjoying your new home.
(edited 12 years ago)
wouldn't people meet up and stuff during the summer?

They might do but that won't necessarily be in your university city. Besides you'll find a lot of people would rather spend the holidays with their old friends from school.
Original post by Rascacielos
Living in a B&B would be even more expensive than renting a flat. Personally, if you don't want to go home for the duration of the holidays, then I would rent a private student house. You'd live with other students but student houses (i.e. the ones that 2nd/3rd years live in, although there are normally plenty of 1st years who didn't get a place in halls) tend to be on a 12 month rent, so you'd get to live there all year if you chose to. And obviously you wouldn't be isolated because you'd be living with other students. Halls, in my opinion, are overrated... the only "experience" I've had from them is mess, constant noise and a bad internet connection.

Personally, I would go home during the holidays though. It'd most probably be cheaper (although I guess it depends on how far away your parents are moving) and surely you'd want to see your family. Also, most of your uni friends will go back home during the holidays anyway so it's not as if they'll all still be there for you to hang around with. You'll see them during term time, let the holidays be for your family and enjoying your new home.

Halls are not overrated. OP, please don't listen to this
I'm half way through my second year at uni and have been home a total of about 20 days, I only went home for a long weekend in the summer :s
Yes most people go home over Christmas but not everyone, there was myself and a girl from Norwich still there in my block for most of the Christmas holidays when I was in halls, a long with lots of other people in different blocks, the uni even organised a big Christmas dinner for those who were staying.

When I left halls I rented a flat (with my boyfriend) which was a sixth month lease, and when that was up I actually ended up buying a flat (I have realised that Northern Ireland is mega boring and don't really want to go back ever haha). Basically what I'm saying is not everyone goes home in the holidays so don't worry!

I was in this situation every year from the start of uni. I didn't have family abroad I just had a mum I didn't get on with so I wasn't allowed to go home.

You will probably find that students start to secure their housing for 2nd year by ending of January ( well that was the case for us) and the contract usually starts from July. I moved from my 1st yr student accom straight to my second housing and just spent the months working in my student town, working my part time job as a full time job through the summer I suggest you do something similar.
Reply 9
Original post by Origami Bullets

Typically, universities offer you the option to extend your tenancy over the summer. It's primarily designed for those who live overseas and can't afford to go home and those who have grown up in care etc. However, you'll often find that the tenancy for your second year house will start at the beginning of the summer anyway. Make sure you negotiate with your landlord to allow you to live there during the summer though!

That sounds interesting,it would definitely solve the massive summer gap, thanks

Original post by Rascacielos

Yeah but i wouldnt want to see my family every holiday though, i think Christmas alone is plenty time lol, especially as theyre moving to my country of origin in Africa, somewhere i've visited every year my whole life so its not exactly new. Plus tickets would be too expensive for me to visit thrice a year so i dont even think they'd want me every holiday.
Original post by tweety_2479
I was in this situation every year from the start of uni. I didn't have family abroad I just had a mum I didn't get on with so I wasn't allowed to go home.

You will probably find that students start to secure their housing for 2nd year by ending of January ( well that was the case for us) and the contract usually starts from July. I moved from my 1st yr student accom straight to my second housing and just spent the months working in my student town, working my part time job as a full time job through the summer I suggest you do something similar.

Yeah i think i'll just get accommodation that covers me till summer then do this, doesnt sound too bad and i'm sure i could find some people to hang out with, from the sounds of it not every single person goes home and stays home.

Thanks for the replies everyone :h:
it all depends on your budget....private halls are better option because they take care of everything......university halls are cheaper but are not very looked after......sharing house can be problematic and it works like lottery....
Reply 11
I don't go home as I have no where to go during the holidays, and I was able to stay in my halls during all holidays. Some people say halls are boring as no one is around during the holidays but I don't believe this to be the case if you go for a big complex. In my halls there's something daft like 2000 rooms, so there were plenty of internationals/people that didn't got on with their parents around for me to chat to.

If you can get a part time job it will also help as you will know you'll have your work mates to talk to during the holidays and they'll live in the area, and then you can make friends with their friends etc.

Most universities have care leaver/international/etc. societies that don't go home over the holidays. If you throw yourself into the university life, and talk to as many people as you can, you most certainly won't be lonely!
Simple answer, don't move into halls, rent a room in a student house instead. Cheaper and you can negotiate with the landlord about staying over the summer.

either that or move into halls for the first year and when finding somewhere for 2nd year negotiate with the landlord about starting your contract in June rather than september.

Quick Reply

Latest