The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheMagicMan
It's what we need to get in STEP

Original post by Xero Xenith
They're STEP grades - it goes S (highest), 1, 2, 3, fail. Cambridge normally want a "1" on the two hardest STEP papers - II and III - which is "1,1", but it seems a fair few S,S offers have come out this year :s-smilie:

Original post by cpdavis
Well when you get your grades back for STEP, you can get either and S, 1, 2 or 3 (S highest, 3 lowest pass, below U) where 11 is the standard offer (and S is exceptional) So if you get an SS/S1 offer that's quite harsh, and if you get a 12 offer that can be nice. 11 is usually the standard offer. I needed 11 last year and I got 33 for STEP :tongue:

Ahhhh i seee....thanks for clearing that up guys :biggrin: I dont do STEP So.... :/
Original post by Thrug
:youbetcha:

So that's four people then! And I believe someone has got a rejection as well.

Ah well. Can only hope that they'll reply to the rest of us soon, hopefully with good news.
Condolences to those rejected, I'm sure you will excel elsewhere and good luck to those pooled! And I add my congratulations to all the Cambridge Maths Offer Holders!

And once we, hopefully, overcome the final hurdle of the conditions, I look forward to the light-hearted banter and rivalry with us, the Oxford mathmos, in the coming years!

:tsr:
Original post by laughylolly
I think there's about three or so people on here with Durham offers. I don't know if they are internationals or not. I think the majority (like me) are still waiting to hear from them.

As far as I know deejay, fGDu and Themagicman have offers. Might be another person, can't remember.

Also have a Durham offer =p its now my insurance =]
Reply 4264
Original post by maths134
Also have a Durham offer =p its now my insurance =]

Not UCL?
Original post by deejayy
Not UCL?

Nah, UCL is really near me and they don't guarantee accomodation unlike Durham who do regardless of insurance/firm. Durham is more like Cambridge I suppose. Can't believe I'm rejecting Warwick and UCL lol...
Original post by ben-smith
Grrrr, I don't know about that.
I'm really looking forward to doing some theoretical physics but I don't want to compromise on pure maths.
I wish Cambridge did QM in the 1st year...
Is your offer for Maths with Physics?

Technically there's a tiny optional bit, but I agree. It would be nice and seems so cool!!

I have one :biggrin:

Congrats! And the same to everyone with a Durham offer already :smile: they must really like you guys :tongue:
Do you guys think its worth getting a STEP tutor? i get no help at school btw

No, not particularly. I don't see how it would help. You have access to all of the papers and, between TSR and the STEP website, pretty much all of the solutions. If you ever get stuck on a question, require a hint or have any STEP related queries, the mathematicians with past STEP experience on here/other sites will probably be able to help you moreso than a single tutor might. The best part is that it won't cost you a penny, either.

Try STEP on your own. If you have problems, ask on here.
Simples:smile:
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
No, not particularly. I don't see how it would help. You have access to all of the papers and, between TSR and the STEP website, pretty much all of the solutions. If you ever get stuck on a question, require a hint or have any STEP related queries, the mathematicians with past STEP experience on here/other sites will probably be able to help you moreso than a single tutor might. The best part is that it won't cost you a penny, either.

Is it true you reapplied to Cambridge? *_* I thought you were already at Warwick?
I need some help! its basically sorting out STEP stuff. I don't really know where to start. I have done a bit of STEP 1 (well quite a bit) but no STEP 2/3. I have finished C1-4 so can do STEP 2 in theory. Now here is the issue, I have only learnt 3/4 of FP2 and none of FP3, we sit the exams in summer. I mean I imagine I will have to teach myself FP2 ahead right? any ideas.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Is it true you reapplied to Cambridge? *_*

Yes, but not simply because I wanted to.
Yes, but not simply because I wanted to.

Ah right, fair enough. :smile: We shan't go into details. How did it go?
I would just like to remind people of our lovely Mathematics Applicants 2012 stalking page. Just want to keep it up to date as possible and quite a few people are starting to decide their Firms/Insurance choices so you can start putting them in there too. For a few people I've added some of their details (hope thats okay) as they already hadn't and just for the benefit of everyone so people know what places have been giving out offers etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ah right, fair enough. :smile: We shan't go into details. How did it go?

I got an offer.
I got an offer.

Congrats! :smile:
I got an offer.

Did you do step last year?
Congrats! :smile:

Cheers.

Did you do step last year?

I did, and in year 12. Perhaps I should have tried a little harder and I might have had a nicer offer. :p:
Original post by laughylolly
I would just like to remind people of our lovely Mathematics Applicants 2012 stalking page. Just want to keep it up to date as possible and quite a few people are starting to decide their Firms/Insurance choices so you can start putting them in there too. For a few people I've added some of their details (hope thats okay) as they already hadn't and just for the benefit of everyone so people know what places have been giving out offers etc.

Thanks =D. Im useless with updating it btw... anyway, if you wanted to know, Cambridge is my firm and Durham is my insurance =].

Latest