The Student Room Group

Jaw Re-alignment :(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
There's a lot of really useful information on here!

Although this procedure is something i've wanted for ages, it's something i didn't think was possible because of my age. When I was younger the procedurer was mentioned in passing, but my orthodontist was very "you don't want that done" etc, and me being an insecure, shy teenager didn't mention it again and just put up with it. I've just turned 24 and I can't put up with it anymore, I HATE my teeth. I'm fed up of not being able to eat properly and being self-conscious, so I want to try and actually do something about it. There is no way I can afford the surgery privately so does anyone know the steps I'd need to take to potentially get it done through the NHS? Would I talk to my doctors or dentist?

Thanks
Original post by nlg
There's a lot of really useful information on here!

Although this procedure is something i've wanted for ages, it's something i didn't think was possible because of my age. When I was younger the procedurer was mentioned in passing, but my orthodontist was very "you don't want that done" etc, and me being an insecure, shy teenager didn't mention it again and just put up with it. I've just turned 24 and I can't put up with it anymore, I HATE my teeth. I'm fed up of not being able to eat properly and being self-conscious, so I want to try and actually do something about it. There is no way I can afford the surgery privately so does anyone know the steps I'd need to take to potentially get it done through the NHS? Would I talk to my doctors or dentist?

Thanks

dentist definitley
i'm really not confident with this process :frown:(
Reply 103
Original post by ibshort
Hey all,

I'm 17, just started uni and have an 100% overbite, which means my top row of teeth end up in front of my bottom row when i bite, and my teeth are not that straight, hence i wanted this sorted out.

I was advised by my orthodontist, in order to have straight teeth, i have to get my jaw realiged (jaw has to be broken in surgery and then aligned), otherwise the teeth will not stay straight after i have had braces.

I have got my second meeting with one of the doctors on monday, but im reallllly scared now about the treatment, having braces for a couple of years first, and then having surgery (6 hours surgery, and nothing solid to eat for a couple of moths after surgery), thereafter i have to have braces again i think for a while.

I'm more scared about the surgery than the braces tbh, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this kind of treatment, i feel very depressed at the moment...

Thanks,

Ib

Hi, just to let you know, i had this surgery done 22yrs ago (relining the jaw) and it all went very well. They broke my jaw and pushed it back then i had it all wired up. They put Plates and screws in my jaw but 22yrs on (now) one of my screws got infected and after taking antibiotics x3 it never heeled so ive just recently ive had to have the plate and screws taken out on that one side
I have to say i still think it was worth it and i know you posted this back in 2006 and wonder wat you did have done.
Anyway, i hope this helped.......Sash

Quick Reply

Latest