The Student Room Group

Can you get a student loan for a new degree after dropping out of your first one?

I dropped out of uni a month ago, as I didn't get on with my coursemates, it was a bad university, blah blah blah... however I still want a degree.

Can I get a course through clearing, and get a new student loan? Or do I have to pay for the new first year up front instead, then get the loan from year 2 onwards? Will phone them up on Monday, just curious if anyone has already done it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Kohta
I dropped out of uni a month ago, as I didn't get on with my coursemates, it was a bad university, blah blah blah... however I still want a degree.

Can I get a course through clearing, and get a new student loan? Or do I have to pay for the new first year up front instead, then get the loan from year 2 onwards? Will phone them up on Monday, just curious if anyone has already done it.

Did you drop out of your first year?

If you did, then you will still have enough years of funding left to complete your degree somewhere else (you get funding for the length of your course + 1 year - any years previously funded).
Reply 2
Hey all, I'm in a similar situation. I'm applying for a BEng in Civil Engineering including a foundation year (4years total). I have previouly studied at uni at dropped out in the first year. Will that effect my tuition fee funding now?:confused:
Reply 3
I dropped out of uni in the first year. I can still get funding. If you have also left the first year then you will also be able to get funding.

You get funding for the length of your degree + 1 year - years already had.
Reply 4
Thanks for that, it gave me quite a shock at first when I pumped my details into the SFE website and it said it didnt qualify! Best ring and check though?
I was thinking this because I dropped out after the second year :frown:
Reply 6
Ive heard a few horror stories, felt physically sick when it said it £0 is the amount I could apply for
Reply 7
If you are applying for a medical-related degree, say nursing, midwifery, etc you can get funding all the way through even if you have have completed a previous unrelated degree for three years.
Original post by 7dayweekend
Ive heard a few horror stories, felt physically sick when it said it £0 is the amount I could apply for

did you get it sorted in the end?
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this is of interest to me :smile:
Reply 9
I'm in the same situation. I heard somewhere that this only affects tuition loans and that I'll still be able to apply for a maintenance loan. Is there any truth to this or have I been misled?
Reply 10
Original post by Mr Ben
I'm in the same situation. I heard somewhere that this only affects tuition loans and that I'll still be able to apply for a maintenance loan. Is there any truth to this or have I been misled?

What do you class as the same situation? How many previous years study do you have and how long is the new course you want to do?

If you only have one year previous study you will get full funding for the whole of a new course.

The formula of new course length + 1 year - previous study will apply to you.

If you have more than one year previous study then your funding will be applied from the last year first, meaning for years you don't have tuition fee support you will get a non income assessed maintenance loan only.
Reply 11
Original post by Shani
What do you class as the same situation? How many previous years study do you have and how long is the new course you want to do?

If you only have one year previous study you will get full funding for the whole of a new course.

If you have more than one year previous study then your funding will be applied from the last year first, meaning for years you don't have tuition fee support you will get a non income assessed maintenance loan only.

I dropped out in second year, forgot to mention that. So that means I'll get maintenance but no tuition for first year. That's great news, it's gonna make budgeting a helluva lot less of a nightmare.

Thanks for the info
Reply 12
Original post by Mr Ben
I dropped out in second year, forgot to mention that. So that means I'll get maintenance but no tuition for first year. That's great news, it's gonna make budgeting a helluva lot less of a nightmare.

Thanks for the info

Yep that's right.
Reply 13
Original post by Shani

Original post by Shani

Just to add, it's not just the non-income assessed portion of the maintenance loan you're eligible for the income assessed portion too but none of the accompanying grants.
Here's my question.
I dropped out of uni over 10 years ago. I waa funded for the first year but hen dropped out. I have not yet paid the 1 year funding back as i haven't earnt over the threshold required.
I now want to go back a study as i know what i want to do. Can i apply for funding again?

CONFUSED!!!!!
Original post by muddledmind
Here's my question.
I dropped out of uni over 10 years ago. I waa funded for the first year but hen dropped out. I have not yet paid the 1 year funding back as i haven't earnt over the threshold required.
I now want to go back a study as i know what i want to do. Can i apply for funding again?

CONFUSED!!!!!

I think you should still be able to. Best thing to do is to call them up and tell them about your situation. SF funds undergraduate degree for 4 years as far as I know
I dropped out after 2 years. Now I'm doing a new course will I be entitled to full funding. I didn't receive any funding for the 2 years. Can someone please help

Latest

Trending

Trending