The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zxh800
Well, LSE do take into account UMS don't they? I thought UCL did too however, it seems they only asked UMS from those applying before 15th October (As far as I know, as lots of people who applied afterwards were supposedly not asked/ nothing was mentioned in their acknowledgement).

They only started asking this year as far as I know. Also I don't think they do it for all courses and are still much more bothered about GCSE's than Cambridge. I'm just saying admissions are a lot better with interviews. I, like Tateco, got ~ 95% at AS yet still would have no chance at LSE due to relatively low GCSE'S.
Original post by Tateco
The good thing about these forums is anonymity, I got pooled :/

Shame it doesn't work for everyone, there's me left with an average higher than 95% and 5A* at GCSE getting pooled and nothing from anywhere else so far... :P

I do believe that you have to get some offers if you made your UMS known there is simply no way you can't. I'm almost 100% you will.
Reply 7102
Original post by stefl14
I do believe that you have to get some offers if you made your UMS known there is simply no way you can't. I'm almost 100% you will.

Maybe but I don't want 'some offers' I really wanted a top 5 and I don't think I'm going to get one despite my UMS being on my UCAS form, I'd loved to be proven wrong though :wink:
Original post by Tateco
Maybe but I don't want 'some offers' I really wanted a top 5 and I don't think I'm going to get one despite my UMS being on my UCAS form, I'd loved to be proven wrong though :wink:

I know what you're saying - I wouldn't want to go outside the top 5. But with your UMS you really should be in a top 5. Hopefully UCL or Warwick will give offer.
Reply 7104
Original post by Tateco

How did you get rid of the last activity section ?
Hi, I've got offers from Warwick and UCL and have been pooled for Cambridge. I would really like an offer from LSE right about now haha... who has heard from them so far?
It seems that the interview and other work (test, written essay) have a huge impact on whether you et an offer or not.

There are some people in my school with extremely good grades and with excellent relevant extra curriculars who have been pooled or rejected :frown:
Reply 7107
Original post by Tomatochuckers
It seems that the interview and other work (test, written essay) have a huge impact on whether you et an offer or not.

There are some people in my school with extremely good grades and with excellent relevant extra curriculars who have been pooled or rejected :frown:

There is just so many good people applying for so few places that I guess they have to reject quite a few people that probably deserve an offer :frown:
Original post by Tateco
There is just so many good people applying for so few places that I guess they have to reject quite a few people that probably deserve an offer :frown:

Yeah it seems that I under-estimated the competition

By the 1 in 7 ratio, they probably mean that out of every 7 very good people who apply (5 of which probably have 2A*+ predictions), 1 very good person will get a place
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7109
Yeah it seems that I under-estimated the competition

By the 1 in 7 ratio, they probably mean that out of every 7 very good people who apply (5 of which probably have 2A*+ predictions), 1 very good person will get a place

No I think they do mean 1 in 7, but there only has to be 1.5-2 very good people for every place for 100+ people to get rejected when they could have got an offer.
Though UCL put emphasis on the AS/ A level profile of the applicant so that is the uni to pitch for if anyone has lower (within reason) GCSEs
Reply 7111
Though UCL put emphasis on the AS/ A level profile of the applicant so that is the uni to pitch for if anyone has lower (within reason) GCSEs

Hopefully they will do from this year, from last years thread I seem to remember them being particularly harsh on applicants with FM A2 and lower GCSEs, but the UMS may change that :s-smilie:
Original post by Tateco
No I think they do mean 1 in 7, but there only has to be 1.5-2 very good people for every place for 100+ people to get rejected when they could have got an offer.

Well 8 people in my school applied for Camb econ. No one had lower two A* predictions. Only one got in directly.
Original post by Tateco
Hopefully they will do from this year, from last years thread I seem to remember them being particularly harsh on applicants with FM A2 and lower GCSEs, but the UMS may change that :s-smilie:

I think you're the person with decent but not brilliant GCSES, and with brilliant UMS- yeah you probably have a good chance, but obvs there seems to be no guarantee when it comes to econ top 5:eek:
Reply 7114
Well 8 people in my school applied for Camb econ. No one had lower two A* predictions. Only one got in directly.

There are plenty of people I know who have predictions like that that definitely don't deserve them, I know that's not necessarily the case elsewhere but I really don't think A2 predictions are even a factor in decision making, as I'm sure everyone who was interviewed had at least A*A*A predictions
Original post by MWM
thnx, How did you do ?
And lordvulture made a good point on a different thread that all those with LSE offers are being made offers from Cambridge, goes to show that the LSE admissions process is quite effective in picking out the good applicants without interviews, no ?

I also received a Cambridge offer but haven't heard anything from LSE. Although I think I've just been extremely lucky, especially with all the really strong applicants who've been pooled/rejected. Good luck to everyone in the pool! :smile:
Reply 7116
Original post by lrowles93
I also received a Cambridge offer but haven't heard anything from LSE. Although I think I've just been extremely lucky, especially with all the really strong applicants who've been pooled/rejected. Good luck to everyone in the pool! :smile:

GRATZ what college may I ask ?
I have a re-interview coming up, any advice for me :smile:

Well, there are twice as many applicants per place as Cambridge, no interviews, and no entrance tests, so I'm not too sure about that. Same goes for LSE.
Original post by MWM
GRATZ what college may I ask ?
I have a re-interview coming up, any advice for me :smile:

Clare :smile: For your interview, I really don't think there's much you can do, especially this late, in terms of preparation. Mine are kind of a blur now, but I wouldn't say that they went especially well - there definitely wasn't much I was asked that I could've prepared for beforehand. Just try to relax! Best of luck.
Original post by Acerbic
Well, there are twice as many applicants per place as Cambridge, no interviews, and no entrance tests, so I'm not too sure about that. Same goes for LSE.

Well Cambridge and LSE know that if they give offers to people, most of the successful applicants would end up at their university (only exception are those who have both Camb and LSE offers)

But for UCL, they will know that a proportion of the people they have given offers to will probably get an offer from LSE or Cambridge, so they give out more offers than there are places available. So, UCL may not be as competitive as it looks (it's still bloody competitive though)
It is more likely that UCL will give offers to people with excellent UMS at AS level, and with relatively poor GCSEs than LSE would, where you have a very slim chance if your GCSEs are poor.

Latest

Trending

Trending