The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7120
Original post by Tomatochuckers
It seems that the interview and other work (test, written essay) have a huge impact on whether you et an offer or not.

There are some people in my school with extremely good grades and with excellent relevant extra curriculars who have been pooled or rejected :frown:

I think that at Cambridge, they would like students to think in a particular way and not just know the different topics of Economics at A-Level, which is why an interview is so crucial for admissions. I don't think that admissions tests have more of an impact though, the interview and your references etc play a higher part. This is only my opinion, because I felt that I had flopped the TSA on my interview day, having not finished the test and in the Cambridge online mock achieved 52% first go, 62% second and 72% on the third, but still received an offer. I think that this was thanks to the interview, and everything else, phew!
Original post by kaying
I think that at Cambridge, they would like students to think in a particular way and not just know the different topics of Economics at A-Level, which is why an interview is so crucial for admissions. I don't think that admissions tests have more of an impact though, the interview and your references etc play a higher part. This is only my opinion, because I felt that I had flopped the TSA on my interview day, having not finished the test and in the Cambridge online mock achieved 52% first go, 62% second and 72% on the third, but still received an offer. I think that this was thanks to the interview, and everything else, phew!

Every college does things differently, but one of the key things about the interview is to get an idea if you would be able to cope with the supervision system, and often also whether they would like to supervise you. That kind of thing can't really be told from your paper application. Regarding the TSA, I remember seeing something a while back saying that it wasn't a good indicator of Tripos performance, and after that quite a few colleges stopped using it (for instance, my college switched back to their own college test).
Your mama so fat she can benefit from economies of scale :biggrin:
Original post by gstudent1
Hi, I've got offers from Warwick and UCL and have been pooled for Cambridge. I would really like an offer from LSE right about now haha... who has heard from them so far?

haha i am in the exact same position as you are!! except I have been pooled from homerton, which makes me slightly more disadvantaged :P

LSE has given out some offers ( I reckon over half of what they intend to give), so good luck to us both!!

which college did you originally apply for?
Original post by lordvulture

haha i am in the exact same position as you are!! except I have been pooled from homerton, which makes me slightly more disadvantaged :P

LSE has given out some offers ( I reckon over half of what they intend to give), so good luck to us both!!

Oh wow I haven't heard of any LSE offers for Economics yet!! Jesus pooled me, and from the Cambridge stats 0 - 3 econ applicants per year from Jesus pools have got offers from the pool in the last four years :/
Indeed good luck to us both... :smile:
Original post by Tateco
There are plenty of people I know who have predictions like that that definitely don't deserve them, I know that's not necessarily the case elsewhere but I really don't think A2 predictions are even a factor in decision making, as I'm sure everyone who was interviewed had at least A*A*A predictions

Predictions mean nothing. Predictions of all A*'s are only really valid if candidates have 90%+ UMS in each and every subject at the LEAST. So many people have 4A* predictions who have no realistic chance of achieving them.
Reply 7126
Original post by stefl14
Predictions mean nothing. Predictions of all A*'s are only really valid if candidates have 90%+ UMS in each and every subject at the LEAST. So many people have 4A* predictions who have no realistic chance of achieving them.

I thought that was the standard % you should achieve to get that prediction anyway? It is at my school anyway
Original post by gstudent1
Oh wow I haven't heard of any LSE offers for Economics yet!! Jesus pooled me, and from the Cambridge stats 0 - 3 econ applicants per year from Jesus pools have got offers from the pool in the last four years :/
Indeed good luck to us both... :smile:

well 1 person got fished out of the last four years from homerton... shame we don't know how many people they pool, otherwise the chances are a lot easier to figure out :frown:
Outright rejection from Cambridge also... It surely has to be the most crushing kind of rejection. It's not like a rejection without interview - being rejected on paper, without a chance to show your ability. You have actually been rejected as a person, which is something quite horrible. I never had much hope, with economics being so competitive (does anyone know why this is, by the way? It usually has lots of places at unis, it just seems to be hugely oversubscribed and I've no idea why), but having to tell everyone that you've been rejected is the most awkward thing ever.

Oh, and to top it all off, the rejection letter wished me luck at other good universities. What a mocking rejection that is.

So what's the general overview? Have a lot of TSRers been rejected?
Original post by MisanthropicLemon
Outright rejection from Cambridge also... It surely has to be the most crushing kind of rejection. It's not like a rejection without interview - being rejected on paper, without a chance to show your ability. You have actually been rejected as a person, which is something quite horrible. I never had much hope, with economics being so competitive (does anyone know why this is, by the way? It usually has lots of places at unis, it just seems to be hugely oversubscribed and I've no idea why), but having to tell everyone that you've been rejected is the most awkward thing ever.

:console: I wouldn't take it so hard. Like you say, it is ridiculously competitive (in part because Economics attracts both those interested in the subject, and those aiming for IB/Finance jobs after uni), and you can see it as character building for if you get rejected from jobs/etc. in the future.

Oh, and to top it all off, the rejection letter wished me luck at other good universities. What a mocking rejection that is.

:teehee: That is a bit harsh.

It seems like a lot of TSRers got rejected or pooled, not so many got offers.
Reply 7130

On what basis do you say that LSE has given out more than half their total offers.
Also, I can inform you all that I heard outside of TSR that someone has been called for a reinterview by Girton. Not that it helps any of you but I think it will help with the stress you guys must be in right now.

To the guy who was rejected above (lemon), was it after you were pooled ?
Original post by MWM
On what basis do you say that LSE has given out more than half their total offers.
Also, I can inform you all that I heard outside of TSR that someone has been called for a reinterview by Girton. Not that it helps any of you but I think it will help with the stress you guys must be in right now.

To the guy who was rejected above (lemon), was it after you were pooled ?

well i think its safe to say that LSE gives out under 300 offers, and i myself know about 15 people who's got it... (including TSR of course), but still its difficult to imagine that I know more than a tenth of the people who's got offers...

And also from what I heard from LSE peple 2/3rds of them got offers before Xmas
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7132
well i think its safe to say that LSE gives out under 300 offers, and i myself know about 15 people who's got it... (including TSR of course), but still its difficult to imagine that I know more than a tenth of the people who's got offers...

i wouldn't say 2/3rds if you look at the lse thread/econ thread from last year quite a few people got them after xmas.
Reply 7133
anyone on the edexcel spec. Where do you get past exam questions from, there a only a few on the website, as its only been running since 08.
Thankyou

:lol: 10% of 300 = 30... oh dear. And the tutor said they give 2.5 offers for every place. So seeing as there are around 180 places that's 450 offers. 15/450 = 3.3%

No... they definitely don't, not for L101 and those courses with economics in their name.
Reply 7135

I know how you feel (I got pooled), but don't take it so hard, Cambridge isn't everything and you can always do a masters there if you think it is.
Reply 7136
Original post by Brand New Eyes
:lol: 10% of 300 = 30... oh dear. And the tutor said they give 2.5 offers for every place. So seeing as there are around 180 places that's 450 offers. 15/450 = 3.3%

No... they definitely don't, not for L101 and those courses with economics in their name.

:rofl:
on the LSE front my friends dad rang them in december and they said they hadnt started giving out any L100 offers???? also i got pooled by cambridge feel lucky you got a rejection instead of having to wait around for a week with glimmers of hope to eventually be rejected...
Original post by jedhemsley
on the LSE front my friends dad rang them in december and they said they hadnt started giving out any L100 offers???? also i got pooled by cambridge feel lucky you got a rejection instead of having to wait around for a week with glimmers of hope to eventually be rejected...

I swear people had offers in Dec, what time in Dec did he ring them?

1 in 4 get fished (though thats overall), you never know :redface:
Original post by Brand New Eyes

you're the one doing it wrong, I should be the one saying 'oh dear'... here's the explanation , see if you can get it now...

I know 15 people, so if 150 offers have already been given out, I know 10% of the offer holders. What I am saying is that I am unlikely to know more than 10% of the offer holders, therefore the actual number of offers is greater than 150... even if you assume 2.5 offers per place, its still at least 1/3rd of the offers gone (probably closer to 1/2 or even over that)

Latest

Trending

Trending