The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luceria

Original post by Luceria
Snape gave his memories to Harry? I've never heard anyone react like that though. Alan Rickman is a wonderful actor, and his performance in DH part II was brilliant. He's on the BAFTA longlist for his role as Snape in the last Harry Potter film, and I think he definitely deserves something. Will he win an Oscar? Probably not.

That scene is completely incoherent unless you know what is supposed to be happening. I heard someone next to me in the cinema whisper "So is Snape his father?". Now, while this person was most likely an idiot, it is important to bear in mind that the chapter in the book is written with absolutely no hint of complex thoughts (as opposed to something which could have been interpreted in many ways). If you take something as straightforward as that and people somehow derive such mental theories off it from first glance, you have failed as a storyteller.

And that pretty much stands true for the entire film. If you knew what was going on then it was a wonderful tale of nostalgia as they hit on every point of note in the books, but if you didn't then it was a huge cluster**** of references without any story. It failed miserably as a film.

Alan Rickman is an extraordinary actor, I'm not trying to say otherwise. But I think it would be a real shame if he won his only awards for a performance that was written so poorly.
going to see mission imposs 4 later, looks good from the trailer at least
Original post by Phalanges
That scene is completely incoherent unless you know what is supposed to be happening. I heard someone next to me in the cinema whisper "So is Snape his father?". Now, while this person was most likely an idiot, it is important to bear in mind that the chapter in the book is written with absolutely no hint of complex thoughts (as opposed to something which could have been interpreted in many ways). If you take something as straightforward as that and people somehow derive such mental theories off it from first glance, you have failed as a storyteller.

And that pretty much stands true for the entire film. If you knew what was going on then it was a wonderful tale of nostalgia as they hit on every point of note in the books, but if you didn't then it was a huge cluster**** of references without any story. It failed miserably as a film.

Alan Rickman is an extraordinary actor, I'm not trying to say otherwise. But I think it would be a real shame if he won his only awards for a performance that was written so poorly.

I think Deathly Hallows was the film that was most geared towards the readers of the books. But the fact that people who have viewed all the films can draw conclusions like "so is Snape his father?".Well that's rather hard to understand.

The Prince's Tale is my favourite chapter in Deathly Hallows. It was butchered in the film, but that has happened to all the memory scenes. Snape's Worst Memory is a very important chapter in Order of the Phoenix, but it was about 20 seconds long in the film. WB shares some of the blame there though (they wanted a shorter film).

Snape and Lily's relationship is more complicated and has a lot more depth than what we saw in the film. But they weren't going to include it to begin with. No, it wasn't brilliant. But I'm grateful for it anyway. I don't think the film failed and I don't think the scene was poorly written.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Luceria

Original post by Luceria
I think Deathly Hallows was the film that was most geared towards the readers of the books. But the fact that people who have viewed all the films can draw conclusions like "so is Snape his father?".Well that's rather hard to understand.

The Prince's Tale is my favourite chapter in Deathly Hallows. It was butchered in the film, but that has happened to all the memory scenes. Snape's Worst Memory is a very important chapter in Order of the Phoenix, but it was about 20 seconds long in the film. WB shares some of the blame there though (they wanted a shorter film).

Snape and Lily's relationship is more complicated and has a lot more depth than what we saw in the film. But they weren't going to include it to begin with. No, it wasn't brilliant. But I'm grateful for it anyway. I don't think the film failed and I don't think the scene was poorly written.

I'm failing to see your logic here. You acknowledge that something was butchered, yet you don't mind that and are even grateful to them for it? I couldn't disagree more. The Prince's Tale is probably my favourite chapter in all of Harry Potter, and I certainly don't want someone serving up a sub-standard replica with none of the substance but the arrogance to assume it can push the same emotional buttons.

The Harry Potter films are a prime example of movies that want to appeal to an existing fanbase and target an outside audience, and they're caught slap bang in the middle of the road. They reference everything but never expand on it, which only serves to frustrate fans when they see their favourite scene removed from all significance and alienate people who don't know what any of it is supposed to mean. The one shining beacon is Prisoner of Azkaban, and that's because Cuaron is a talented filmmaker who didn't want to make a book tie-in but a film, and had the confidence in himself to tell his own story.
I'm failing to see your logic here. You acknowledge that something was butchered, yet you don't mind that and are even grateful to them for it? I couldn't disagree more. The Prince's Tale is probably my favourite chapter in all of Harry Potter, and I certainly don't want someone serving up a sub-standard replica with none of the substance but the arrogance to assume it can push the same emotional buttons.

The Harry Potter films are a prime example of movies that want to appeal to an existing fanbase and target an outside audience, and they're caught slap bang in the middle of the road. They reference everything but never expand on it, which only serves to frustrate fans when they see their favourite scene removed from all significance and alienate people who don't know what any of it is supposed to mean. The one shining beacon is Prisoner of Azkaban, and that's because Cuaron is a talented filmmaker who didn't want to make a book tie-in but a film, and had the confidence in himself to tell his own story.

It's mostly butchered when it comes to time. It was too rushed. They weren't even going to include The Prince's Tale to begin with (but then they decided to split the book in two).
My expectations were low because I know what happens with memory scenes in Yates' films. Just look at Half Blood Prince and the Voldemort memories. Voldemort's past was a big theme in the book, but 90% of it wasn't included. And I wasn't a fan of the memory scenes that they did include either. Though it's hard to work long memories into a film.

I still think Alan Rickman deserves an award for his wonderful performance. The Prince's Tale is probably my favourite chapter in Harry Potter as well, but I knew it wasn't going to be done justice. I was disappointed, but now I'm just grateful we got something. It could have been better yes. But I don't think the little we got was very bad.

The Prisoner of Azkaban is definitely my favourite film (and favourite Potter book). He really captured the spirit of the book. I really like all the films except Goblet of Fire. Somehow my dislike for it grows every year. Even the adult actors were off in that film. Mostly down to Mike Newell.
(edited 12 years ago)
I hope Chronicle doesn't play on the 'This is a found footage film, remember?' thing too much, using too many cliches of the genre through it, could be pretty good if it's been made well
Reply 5366
Original post by Rezaness
Just watched a film called Cube, its one of the those random films that no one speaks about. Anyone seen it? Its surprisingly horrific but nonetheless entertaining, in ways perhaps not intended.. XD

I've seen it. Watched it with the fam, it was really peculiar. I have a really overactive imagination and I spent the next three days worrying about that the same thing would happen to me :eek:
Original post by Luceria
It's mostly butchered when it comes to time. It was too rushed. They weren't even going to include The Prince's Tale to begin with (but then they decided to split the book in two).
My expectations were low because I know what happens with memory scenes in Yates' films. Just look at Half Blood Prince and the Voldemort memories. Voldemort's past was a big theme in the book, but 90% of it wasn't included. And I wasn't a fan of the memory scenes that they did include either. Though it's hard to work long memories into a film.

That's the overall impression I have of Yates' direction, not just for specific scenes. Everything was just too rushed, there was no room for emotions or reflections.

Original post by lukejoshjedi
I hope Chronicle doesn't play on the 'This is a found footage film, remember?' thing too much, using too many cliches of the genre through it, could be pretty good if it's been made well

What cliches of that genre do you think there are?
Reply 5368
Original post by balface
I've seen it. Watched it with the fam, it was really peculiar. I have a really overactive imagination and I spent the next three days worrying about that the same thing would happen to me :eek:

Lol.. It would be pretty lame if that did happen. Now you've made me think about it :afraid:
Reply 5369
Stand By Me is a great little film about friendship and about growing up with friends. It made me smile and look back fondly at my own life. I recommend everybody here checks it out!
Reply 5370
Was forced by my friends to endure a TV movie biopic called Magic Beyond Words: The JK Rowling Story on Friday. Wow. Such factually inaccurate films should be illegal. :colonhash:
That's the overall impression I have of Yates' direction, not just for specific scenes. Everything was just too rushed, there was no room for emotions or reflections.

What cliches of that genre do you think there are?

not every film may do it but I've noticed, the obligatory shaky cam effect used in chases or when running, the camera user leaving the camera static to look at something then getting abducted or attacked (usually in horror flicks), the camera recording skipping about to different footage

I think some FF films use clichés a bit too much, didn't really work with the barely scary Paranormal activity 3

Anyone else think John Carter looks pretty good? Could be a fairly decent fantasy blockbuster
Never watched too many Westerns and I want to try and watch more to plug that area of weakness. Started today with A Fistful of Dollars. :awesome:

Good man!

Original post by Colonel.
That whole trilogy is great.

I recommend 3:10 to Yuma, both versions. People have been raving about True Grit as well.

Once you've watched enough, watch Blazing Saddles and realise how stupid everything is.

Agreed.

Currently queued up I have the dollars trilogy, Butch Cassidy, Unforgiven, Once upon a time in the west and the Treasure of Sierra Madre.

Good choices, although I didn't really enjoy Unforgiven myself. If you've got the time, add The Outlaw Josey Wales and The Wild Bunch.

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Once Upon a Time in the West - my god, the best Western to have graced cinema. :coma:

In addition to Dollars and 3:10, and if you're not burnt out at that point, The Searchers and High Plains Drifter are good shouts.

Also good ones :yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aja89
Was forced by my friends to endure a TV movie biopic called Magic Beyond Words: The JK Rowling Story on Friday. Wow. Such factually inaccurate films should be illegal. :colonhash:

Avoid The Social Network.
Watch Deadwood as well.
Reply 5375
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Avoid The Social Network.

Seen it, liked it because of the dialogue. Don't know enough about the real situation to be annoyed by it. :tongue:

But this JK Rowling film was a whole new level of STOP IT.
Original post by Colonel.
Watch Deadwood as well.

This, totally this. Not just a great western, but potentially one of the best television shows of all time.
Serious man crush on some of the actors in War Horse. I didn't realise Benedict Cumberpatch, Toby Kebbell and Tom Hiddlestone were in it. :colondollar:

Who has it seen it already?
Reply 5378
Andrea Riseborough: 'I subscribe to no religion, but in the creation of art there can be moments of God.' Wow. I've only seen her in Made in Dagenham, and wouldn't on the basis of that impression have seen that coming out of her mouth at all.

Still have no idea at all what to expect from W.E., though. :dontknow:
Reply 5379
The artist is well worth a watch, thoroughly enjoyed it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest